Status: Finished<3

Close Your Eyes

Chapter 7

My mind was completely blank; there was no telling what was going to happen now. In front of me, Eve was babbling like a young child. For awhile, I rustled her hair in a vain attempt to calm her down but she just kept crying. And the worse part was it was all my fault. I was the one who brought upon her bawling her eyes out and the oddest feeling erupted inside of me. Seconds passed, but I was unable to name this feeling. However, the past bubbled next to this feeling and I felt myself choke a bit.

This feeling; it was guilt.

“Eve.” My voice was stern, even though I tried to sound sympathetic. She remained hunched over but she quieted her tears. “Come on.” I tugged her up and she fell limb beside me, almost knocking me over. Grabbing her wrist, I led her to my parent’s car while peering into the house. As expected, I was being scrutinized. Sending them a salute, I helped Eve into the car and strolled to the driver’s seat. Before my mom could shout anything, I was speeding off down the road.

There were a few muffled sniffles beside me. “W-Where are we going?” Peering at her out of the corner of my eye, I saw that she was standing a bit straighter and the tears had ceased. Her eyes were puffy though.

“A place.” I murmured, looking back at the road. We were almost at the dead end where I had been not even an hour ago. There was a tug on my shirt and I looked back at Eve and saw snot streaming down from her nose.

“I need a tissue.”

“Could’ve fooled me.” She pursed her lips and slapped my cheek lightly as I chuckled.

“No really!” she cried out. “I need a tissue!” Her bottom lip protruded out as I ruffled her curly hair. She paused for a moment before shouting, “And watch the road, doofus!” I continued to chuckle and put my hand back on the wheel and watched as we closed in on the end of the road. At this point, I was used to Eve’s awareness of her surroundings even with her eyes closed. While keeping an eye on the road, I reached into the back of the car and grabbed a handful of tissues with my free hand. I held the wad of tissues next to Eve’s hand and she instantly grabbed them and blew her nose. She grinned in my general direction as the car slowed before coming to a stop.

“Come on,” I ordered as I opened my door and she did the same. Watching her grope the side of the car, I held out my hand. When she was close enough, I grabbed her wrist and the two of us set out into the woods.

Once in awhile, Eve would pause behind me before beginning to walk again. Finally, I decided to ask her why she was doing that, and she tilted her head back and forth before answering, “This is where the dolls were. Right?” I bit my lip, knowing she’d figure it out but I hadn’t figured out what to say back. As if God was trying to save me, I happened to look down and saw the two dolls I’d rescued before setting the cabin on fire. Releasing Eve’s hand, I bent down and retrieved the two dolls.

Behind me, I heard Eve sway and shout, “B-Blake where are you?” She stumbled forward and fell on my back, sending us both to the ground. I groaned and she rolled off my back and onto the moist ground. A grin decorated her features and she laughed as I rolled so I was also on my back. In my hand, I held both the girl and boy doll and stared at them.

Finally, I held them out to her. “These are two of your dolls right?” Eve’s held tilted back and her curls sprawled out on the forest floor. She held out her hand and took both the dolls and held them in front of her face. I watched her for a moment as moistness appeared under her closed eyes before looking up at the grey sky. When I peered back at her, I had to hold back a choke and gasp.

Her eyes had opened. If only for a moment, but they opened.

And her sclera was a bright, bloody red.

~**~**~**~**~

Eve held the two dolls close to her as I drove back to my house. After I saw her eyes, I couldn’t decide whether I should question her about it or not. When I peered over to her, she was stroking the blonde doll’s hair and smiling. Without thinking, I heard myself mutter in a low voice, “Eve.” She perked up and faced me; her fingers halted from brush the doll’s hair.

“Yes?” She asked, curiosity evident in her voice.

I gulped, not knowing what to do now. A part of me wanted to ask her about her eyes but I wasn’t sure how she’d react. As I drove into the driveway, I laid back and stared blankly out the window. “Your eyes–” I stopped, noticing Eve was holding out the little blonde doll to me with a bright grin on her lips. My eyes shifted to the doll and I took it into my hands and looked at its features closer. On closer inspection, this doll looked oddly like Eve and when I scrutinized its facial features my pupils dilated when I saw the whites of the doll’s eyes were also red.

“You can keep her if you want,” Eve beamed and it took me a second to realize she was skillfully trying to avoid my question. I watched her expression remain happy and unconcerned even as the seconds ticked by. Unconsciously, my body moved forward toward her and I placed the doll on my lap. I only stopped once my forehead hit hers; Eve’s breath hitch and her cheeks burned red. When I realized what I was doing, my mind went completely blank.

What is this girl doing to me?

“Thank you,” I whispered and Eve’s breath hit my face, shaking and nervous. Backing away from her, I exited the car silently and left for my room in the garage; never looking back until I heard the passenger door closed and watched Eve as she stared back.

Her eyes were opened, the white parts bloody red and the iris such a dark brown they were nearly black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment/Subscribe please!! ^^

By the way, there IS a condition causing the sclera to be red from burst blood vessels. Just so you know (:

~[Mi]KAyla