But That Was When I Ruled The World

Chapter twenty five

Frieza and Vegeta then began to fight.

Vegeta was right. He was much, much stronger than he was before. This was good; it meant Dende sacrificed himself for a noble cause that wasn’t a waste. But all he could do was put Frieza on the defence. Frieza could do nothing but dodge Vegeta’s attacks, which were good, but this couldn’t go on forever. Vegeta would soon tire out.

But apparently we were waiting for Goku, so this was definitely buying time for when Goku would be healed.

Piccolo seemed to be thinking the same as I did, as he spoke up when Gohan and Krillin were cheering.

“Vegeta is definitely much stronger, yes. But he’s still no match for Frieza. Frieza is easily dodging his attacks and it’s just a matter of time before Vegeta can’t attack anymore, and Frieza is able to attack him.” Piccolo said to Gohan and Krillin, who then stopped cheering and looked worried.

I kept watching on, and then to my horror (and everybody else’s) we saw Piccolo was right.

The fight was taken to the air, and Vegeta was definitely struggling a lot more than he previously was.

This was especially confirmed when Vegeta went to strike Frieza, and Frieza dodged like he previously did. However, this was different because Frieza then disappeared. Usually it wouldn’t be a problem, as Vegeta would know where his target was. Not this time, it was made clear he had no idea where Frieza was.

Vegeta froze, as the same second my heart dropped. It would be over soon. He couldn’t handle Frieza by himself. He just wasn’t strong enough. I knew similar thoughts were racing through his mind.

Frieza then reappeared.

Vegeta then began to shoot beams, first a large one which had no effect, and then he sent smaller ones Vegeta’s way. None of them fazed Frieza.

I didn’t know how to react. I couldn’t help, Vegeta told us not to get in his way and that’s what we’d be doing. If Vegeta couldn’t harm Frieza, what use were all of us?

My thoughts were cut off as I watched Vegeta create a HUGE energy blast towards Frieza. I held a little hope inside me, hoping this massive attack would have SOME impact. Any impact and Vegeta would be back into the game.

My hopes went unfulfilled though. Like the other blasts, this one didn’t touch Frieza.

Then, it was Frieza’s turn. I thought watching Vegeta’s attacks reflect off Frieza was bad. I definitely wasn’t ready to watch Frieza attack Vegeta, that’s for sure.

I watched on as I saw Frieza brutally beat up Vegeta. I wasn’t sure why I kept looking on, I had looked away in horror the other times Vegeta got a little bit hurt, yet I was watching Frieza kill Vegeta slowly and painfully.

The saddest part though, was seeing the depressed look on Vegeta’s face. He had truly given up. He didn’t care if Frieza killed him anymore; he had lost his fighting spirit. I guess knowing he really wasn’t more powerful than Frieza had lost him his will to live.

Which is why I kept watching on. I was hoping any second now, he’d regain his strong attitude, take Frieza for surprise and inflict some serious damage. But deep down, like Vegeta, I knew he was finished for.

But when he was finished, I was finished. Frieza would kill me next. I wasn’t going to lose my will yet, and I wish Vegeta wouldn’t lose his either. If Frieza was going to kill me, I was going to put up a fight. I wasn’t going to let him kill me depressed, giving him satisfaction.

Vegeta had given me the gift of life. Before then, I hadn’t seen anything outside of Frieza’s space ship. I didn’t know what trees or grass, or even a sky with a sun in it looked like. I knew what the stars and the black of space looked like, but not nature. I didn’t know the fresh smell of grass, or the pleasant feeling of a warm breeze upon my skin.

This was worth fighting for. I guess Vegeta had taken life for granted, when I was only beginning mine. Even if Frieza was to kill me within minutes, I would die happy knowing I got to live this, at least once.

I began to look away though when Frieza grabbed Vegeta by the neck with his tail. Even though I wasn’t looking, my other sharpened Saiyan senses made me able to live what was happening though.

I could smell Vegeta’s depression, and the blood being flung from his body from Frieza’s crippling blows. I could taste the happiness from Frieza in the air, he was getting his revenge out and I could taste it in the air. I could hear Vegeta’s air gushing from his body through his mouth as he was being hurt and although I couldn’t physically feel any of the scenes through my fingertips, I could feel it in my heart.

However, I could hear some other sound, other than Vegeta’s pain, our worries and Frieza’s cackling. It was a cracking sound, it sounded like glass. No one else seemed to hear it, but I looked in the direction it was coming from.

My concentration was broken however, when I heard Frieza do large blows. I couldn’t not look now, this was even more serious.

The familiar scene of Frieza pummelling Vegeta greeted me when I looked back. But my heart shattered even more. I knew Vegeta would be in this state, all my other senses had indicated.

But seeing it was another thing.

I let out the loudest gasp out of everyone as we watched Frieza throw Vegeta into a nearby wall and prepare to let out one last blow. The final one.

This time, I closed my eyes. I couldn’t watch Frieza do it. I couldn’t watch him kill Vegeta.

However, it didn’t happen. My senses didn’t pick up anything to do with Vegeta’s death. I couldn’t smell a fresh corpse. I didn’t hear a deafening blow that would take someone’s life. I didn’t see light hit my tightly shut eyes. I couldn’t taste sand that blew up from where Vegeta was lying. And lastly, the only thing I felt in my heart was hope.

I opened my eyes and saw a new figure on the battlefield. Goku.

I stood back, waiting for him to greet Piccolo, Gohan and Krillin. Goku’s a cool guy, and we’ve all fared well. But I barely knew him; I didn’t want to take up time he could be spending with his son and friends before possibly losing his life.

“Modesty, it’s good to see you again.” Goku smiled.

“You too. Thanks for showing up.” I smiled back, unable to create proper conversation.

“Goku does have a habit of showing up in the knick of time.” Krillin smiled.

“So you’re this ‘Goku’ person we’ve all been waiting for? It’s nice to finally meet your acquaintance.” Frieza coolly said, using his infamous faux pleasantries.

Goku wiped the smile off his face and turned to face Frieza. He knew that this was about to get serious.
♠ ♠ ♠
End of uni means nothing better to do than update. Yay!