Two High IQ's Make One Great Romance

First Day At The BAU

"How was your flight?" My fathers voice rang from the other end of the phone. I looked towards the clock I had just hung on the wall and realized that it must be nearly three in the morning where he was.

"It was alright, Dad. Are you sure you don't want to go to bed? I just woke up, you must not even have fallen asleep yet." I fumbled while I plugged in my new coffee maker and started getting supplies together to make my first cup.

"I probably should, but I just wanted to make sure that everything went alright. I wish you would have called as soon as you got in though, I was worried sick all night." I heard his distant yawn.

"I'm sorry. Go to bed. I love you."

"I love you too. Have a good first day." He hung up.

I finished unpacking that plates I had in the box right next to me. It would have been more fun had there been someone to unpack them with. Moving sure was a bitch.

I glanced at the clock again. How long until I had to be at the office? Uhh.. shoot. Two hours?

I was starting my first day as assistant computer analyst for the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit. It wasn't exactly my dream job, and it wasn't exactly what I had planned to do when I first moved away from home, but I had a degree to be working there and they had a need for my experience. My aunt actually got me the job, she was friends with the head of the unit, who said that their more than qualified technical analyst was getting promoted but was keeping some aspects of her job. They needed someone new to fill in when she was out. Today, I would begin training.

Originally my plan was to dance when I got to Quantico, Virginia. That's all I've ever wanted to do since I was five years old. I loved to dance, sing, and perform.

But it was impossible for a person with degrees in technology to get a job in the performing arts. So, here I was, getting my clothes ready for my first nerve wracking day.

I got out an appropriate looking outfit for my job with the FBI. I straightened my long brown hair and tied it up to look more professional. I applied some light make up around my eyes and a light layer of lip stick.

"Alright. I guess this is as good as it's going to get."

XXXXXXX

"Good morning Piper. I hope you're ready for this." A rather startling looking woman appeared in my line of sight with a stack of papers. She was medium height, curvy, with long red hair and thick rimmed glasses. I noticed her bold colored clothing and matching hair accessories that seemed a bit out of place for her job. I looked down at my own clothing which consisted of a plain black pencil skirt and white cotton blouse. Was I dressed inappropriately?

"I uh.. I think I am." I said nervously.

"Oh sweets don't be nervous. I'm actually pretty brilliant despite how I'm dressed." She winked at me with her soft brown eyes before taking the computer chair next to me. "So I assume you're familiar with the software?"

"Well, now that you mention it, no I'm not. It's not like anything I've ever used before." I fumbled with my hands as I typed anxiously on the computer. I arrived a half hour early for work so I could get acquainted with the computer's network. While I was somewhat of a computer know-it-all, there was nothing on this computer system that I recognized. It took me nearly the entire half hour I was here to even log on.

"That was your first test. You passed." She paused and smiled at me in approval. "You won't be familiar with this system because I created it myself. Actually I just used some old software and tweaked it to be what I needed. But it's not difficult. Not for me anyway." She scoffed as her fingers flew across the keys and granted me access to the computer's network.

"Wow. I'm impressed."

"As most are when it comes to me. You're pretty lucky you know, they made me clean off my half of the desk." she said, pointing to the half covered in troll dolls and paper flowers. "I'm supposed to tell you that they entire system is yours when I'm out of town, but I'd actually really prefer you didn't use the entire area. I mean, you have to for the job, but I don't really want you prying into anything there." She was referring to the stacks of things she had piled on top of the computers.

"Hey baby girl why are you giving the new girl a hard time? Can't you tell she's just a kid?" A handsome man with a dark complexion waltzed into the dimly lit computer access area. He was tall and insanely gorgeous. His deep voice seemed so baritone like he was singing. He held his hand out for me to shake which I took gratefully.

"She's not a child, I'm sure she used to people giving her instructions on her first day."

"I'm Agent Derek Morgan. Call me Derek. Or Morgan... You're Piper right?" He asked. I smiled shyly up at him.

"Yes." Was all I could really think to say. I wasn't good with small talk.

"Have you met anyone else at the office yet?" He asked. I tugged at my skirt and looked towards my shoes.

"Just Agent Hotchner. He's actually a friend of my aunt's, we've met before." I said.

"Girly you're going to have to be a bit more outgoing if you're going to work here. Although, I can a remember a certain someone was a bit shy on her first day." Derek looked towards Penelope who was sitting next to me. She pretended to slap his arm and continued to run her fingers over the keyboard in front of her.

"Don't feel like you have to be nervous in front of anyone here, kid. Actually, hey, why don't I take you for a walk around, introduce you to the team and some of the agents around here?"

"Do you mind?" I asked Penelope. She was technically my superior. She was the person I was supposed to be taking orders from.

"Not at all. I actually think it's a good idea to get acquainted with everyone. Don't be too long though, I've got to teach you the entire system today. Tomorrow we'll be having a short quiz on the program."

Derek laughed before taking my hand and leading me out the door.

"You look pretty young." He started as we walked.

"I'm 22. I graduated early from college and have actually been searching for a job for a while."

"Graduate early huh? What'd you major in?"

"Computer programming and information technology. I actually minored in dance though, that's why I was looking for a job for so long. I was looking for a career in dancing instead of technology."

"That's pretty interesting. I wouldn't picture you as the dancer type." He said. I thought about how I must have looked. I wore my hair up in a bun and my glasses were on today, I wanted to look intelligent for my first day. It might have seemed silly to some, but I was never taken very seriously back in college. I could be considered a very outgoing girl, but that was only when I felt truly comfortable around people.

"Oh, this is JJ." Derek led me into a small office that was filled with stacks of folders and papers. The name plate on her desk read Jennifer Jereau.

"You must be Piper. Garcia gave me your entire bio." The petite blond woman stood from her desk and shook my hand.

"Yes. Nice to meet you."

"You too. Don't let Garcia intimidate you too much, she's just extremely excited to have an apprentice for once."

"I'll keep that in mind."

Derek lead me from the room and took me down the stairs to a group of desks and cubicles in the middle of the office space.

"This is Emily Prentice."

A tall dark haired woman stood from behind her desk. She had very striking facial features and I found it hard to look away from her.

"Hi nice you meet you... Piper? That's your name right? Garcia printed out a bio for me to study before you got here." She began looking through a folder on her table.

"She what?" I asked. Emily laughed out loud.

"Don't worry about it, that's just Garcia. She wanted all of us to know you before you actually got here. She thought it would make your transition a little easier."

"Oh um, I guess that was nice of her then." I still had no idea what to think of Penelope. She seemed nice, but I didn't know her well enough to know whether I should take her actions seriously or not.

"Hey Morgan, is this coffee fresh?" A throaty voice sounded from behind us. I turned to find a tall and lanky young man standing behind us, eying a cup of coffee in his hand. He sipped it, licked his lips, and set the cup down. I watched his movements cautiously.

"Beats me kid. This is Piper, Garcia's new tech prodigy." Derek pointed to me. The man stuck out his hand nervously and tucked a piece of his long brown hair behind his ear. I couldn't help but notice how strangely attractive he was. He was nerdy, in every sense of the word, but he was adorable and amazingly handsome.

"Nice to meet you Piper. I'm Doctor Spencer Reid." I shook his hand, noticing how long and thin his fingers were.

"Nice to meet you too."

"So you're a computer genius?" Emily said from the other side of the cublicled area.

"Not genius. I wouldn't say that." I shook my head and laced my fingers together awkwardly.

"Hey now, you said you graduated college early, that sounds pretty smart to me." Derek took a seat and pulled up a chair with wheels for me to sit in.

"Yeah, well graduating early definitely does not qualify me as a genius. I'm just really good with technology, is all."

"Reid is a genius. He graduated high school at twelve. And he has a IQ of 187." Derek looked intently at Spencer who was sitting on a desk nearby, sipping his coffee. He blushed and looked at the floor. "How about you? What kind of IQ are you hiding in that brain?"

"Umm last time I checked it was roughly 134. I don't know. I don't keep tabs on things like that." I talked with my hands like I always did when I tried to get the attention off myself.

"That's really impressive." Spencer sounded from his position. "Anything around 140 is very impressive."

"You're one to talk." I said, thinking of his amazing IQ. I had no idea anyone could be that smart. It suddenly occurred to me to think of just why Spencer would be working with the FBI instead of using his brain for inventing, mathematics, medicine, or something along those lines.

"You'll learn to ignore Reid's antics. He's pretty consistently a nerd." Emily joked from her desk.

"Hey you have stolen my little predecessor long enough, give her back. We have things to learn." Penelope said as she strolled casually into the room.

"Garcia, give the girl a break, it's her first day." A deep voice sounded from the stair case. The team stopped speaking and turned their attention towards the man walking in our direction.

"Rossi, have you met my new brain child?" Penelope asked.

"Not formally, but I read the bio you sent me. Nice to meet you Piper." He was a serious looking man with dark features including a thick dark beard.

"Nice to meet you too Agent Rossi."

"Just Rossi is fine." He said, smiling at me.

Penelope stepped in between us and cut in. "But seriously now, let's go. You've been here nearly forty five minutes and you don't even know the codes to break into the pentagon."

"Well... actually... back in college..." I said, leading them to believe I had the code as I walked back towards the technicians office.

XXXXXX

"Seems like a nice kid." Morgan said from his seat. Rossi took the chair that Piper was previously in.

"I don't know. She seems a little too shy to be working here. She's going to have to deal with all of us, not to mention the types of things she'll see while she's working." Spencer said. The group stopped to look at him.

"Reid, do you even remember your first day here? You could barely work up enough courage to tell me your name." Morgan said, laughing. Spencer shook his head and sipped his lousy coffee.

"That's not true at all."

Emily laughed and went back to work.

"We should take her out to dinner tonight, I think she's taking over for Garcia when she's on vacation next week. I want her to feel comfortable with us before then." Morgan rose from his desk and headed for the coffee machine. Spencer followed in suit.

"Sure, if you're paying." He joked. Morgan poured himself a cup and sipped it.

"I'll be sure to. Do you want to ask her to go?"

"I've uh.. I've actually got some paper work to get to. I have a presentation in two weeks and I still have some work to finish for it." Spencer said, walking away leaving Morgan by himself in the kitchen area.

Derek shook his head laughing at Reid. He had a suspicion that Reid and Piper would become close very soon. They were practically the same person. Shy, awkwardly funny, and two of the most intelligent people he'd ever met. It would be wrong for two people so similar not to become fast friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
First Day Outfit

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed =] there will be many chapters coming soon.