Two High IQ's Make One Great Romance

Old Buildings

"Yeah?" I answered my phone groggily. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and stretched in my bed while I waited for a response.

"Piper we need you to get down to the office now." Emily's voice surprised me. She was not usually the one to call me unannounced.

"What's going on?" I started dressing myself for work and roughly combing through my hair.

"We just need the computers at the BAU. Garcia's doing the best she can with her laptop, but it's not enough power."

I looked at the time and realized it was nearing 6 in the morning.

"Ok, I'm on my way now. Anything I should do once I get there?"

"Just call, it's possible that by then Garcia will have more information."

"Ok." I hung up, knowing that Emily was distracted.

The drive was longer than usual seeing as I didn't have any coffee. I practically ran from my apartment and into my car. I know that Garcia probably was of more use to the team than I was, but it was nice knowing that on occasion I was the person that they needed to solve the case.

"Here." I said to Penelope.

"How was your sleep angel? Because I got none." She sounded spitefully playful.

"It was terrible. I'm not sleeping well lately." I answered her question seriously.

"Well at least you got some sleep."

"Yeah. So what do you need?" I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and remembered that I wasn't wearing any make up. People were starting to arrive at work, but luckily not many of them would have to speak to me.

Penelope explained what she needed from me, and I responded to her requests quickly.
"How long do you think you guys will be there?"

"Things are moving slowly so far.... a few days at the least. Try not to miss us too much."

"It's always difficult." I laughed into the phone before disconnecting the call.

The day was long, as most days are when working with serial killers.

I decided to take a walk after I got home that night. It was late when I arrived at my apartment, the team barely managed to go to bed by the time I left the office. They never rested when on a case.

I strolled down the streets, not looking for anything in particular. It was nice to feel the soft winds whip against my hair. It had been so long since I'd managed to get even some menial exercise, so the walk felt much needed. Even though I had to be back at the office in less than seven hours, I didn't care.

Three miles away from my house I stumbled upon a rather run-down looking building. It was surrounding by 'hip' coffee shops and a few modern shops. I looked up at the 'for sale' sign above it and at first thought nothing of it. But my mind got the best of me as the memories of admiring dance studios flooded back to me. My old partner Maxim always told me I should own one, I had the drive and intelligence that it took to run something like a studio. I remembered promising him that one day I would own one, and he would have some sort of influence on it.

My eyes darted down the street and back, and I wondered why this building had been abandoned. Sure, it wasn't in the best of conditions, but I would think that someone would have purchased it by now. It would definitely make a good place for business. I peered in the windows and saw a reception-like area with a hallway that led further back. The hall looked to lead into two large rooms on either side and then formed into a staircase leading to the upstairs.

I looked down at my phone and noticed the time, deciding to leave my inquiries for another day.

XXXXXX

"You want to make a dance studio?" Brianne questioned me. I rolled my eyes.

"That's what I just said. The building's in a really nice area, very public. Don't you think it's a good idea?" I chewed my nails as I waited for my friend's brutally honest answer.

"I just think you're kind of young to be starting a business. And well, you've already got a job. Working for the FBI isn't enough for you?"

"No, no, it is. I just... well I haven't danced in months. I need it. I need that relaxation and that freedom. I'm surrounding by murders and death all day, dancing is my stress relief and I haven't done that in far too long."

"Were you going to ask your dad for money?"

"Yes and no. I've got some money that I started saving when I was 14, and some investments in stocks. So I figure I'll use that to buy the building. And then I'll ask my dad for
just enough for some renovations and to get the place started. What have a got to lose?"

"Money and effort? Think about all you have to do: hire people, renovate the entire place, hire instructors, actually get students, the list goes on. And besides, do you think you have the time?"

I stopped chewing on my nails and moved on to drawing mindless circles in my notebook. It wasn't so much the thought of opening a studio that made me excited, it was the thought of dancing again.

"I guess.... I don't. I didn't think about it."

"I don't want to shoot down your ideas, of course, but I'm trying to think logically."

"Which is weird for you."

Brianne laughed. "Yeah. Why don't you make a pro-con list? That way you can weigh your options and not jump to a decision that you might regret."

"Good idea. You always know what to do."

"That's why I'm the smart one in the relationship."

"Oh hush. I'll talk to you later."

"Bye dear."

It seemed as if my phone was ringing as soon as I hung up. I let the phone buzz for a couple rings as I set up a piece of paper with a line drawn vertically down it. The titles 'Pros' and 'Cons' were written at the top. I answered the phone as I started writing things in the pros section.

"Hello?"

"Hi Piper."

"Spencer! Hi!" I instantly stopped writing and focused on the phone. He laughed lightly.

"How are you?"

"I'm good, good. How are you?"

"Doing better than before. I'm actually starting to relax now."

"Have you spoken to the team lately?" I started doodling on the paper in front of me, ignoring the words already written.

"Just Garcia yesterday. She told me about the case their on now. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a call yet."

"Why's that?"
We talked casually for another few minutes. Spencer rattled on about his mother and how she was doing, and I told him about the rest of Brianne's visit. After another round of laughter I brought up my idea of buying the building.

"You think... you think you need that sort of project right now?" He said.

"You sound like Brianne. I just want dance to be a bigger part of my life than it is now. I don't know if you realize the impact dance has had on me, and it being out of my life is frustrating."

"I know you love dance. But you're so young, and you have a full time job. Why not wait until you're older?"

"The building's for sale now."

"There's plenty of buildings for sale every where, every day."

"I'll add that to my pro-con list." I said with a lack of seriousness or enthusiasm towards Spencer's attitude.

"I didn't want to piss you off." He sounded apologetic.

"I'm sorry. I know I'm not thinking logically, but it's just.... just..." I struggled with the right
explanation. Even I didn't know what I was thinking.

"I know. Finish your list and sleep on it."

"That's probably the best idea."

"Tell the team I said hi."

"Will do. Bye Spencer." Click. I hung up before he had the chance to say anything back. Something about my two friends lack of support had me growing angrier and angrier by the second.

In the back of my mind I knew that I wanted to do something like this to distract me. For some reason it seemed like I always needed a distraction from my life. If I was going to have to deal with drama and bloody pictures for the rest of my life, I should have some joy in it too.

I knew it wasn't fair to get mad at Spencer for being logical as he was, but he was part of the reason that I wanted to open a studio. For as much as I wanted to focus on fixing things with Spencer, I knew that without something to make me happy so I wouldn't go insane. Thinking these thoughts was practically making me go insane anyway.

I went to bed not really sure of what to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
short little chapter =] next one coming soon. thanks for reading!