Two High IQ's Make One Great Romance

Getting Hired

I decided to put off the thought of opening a dance studio, for now. It was crazy of me to think that I would have nearly enough time or energy to do something like that. Maybe someday, when I wasn't swamped with work or crazed with thoughts.

However, I did managed to work up the courage to walk into an already open studio. Curiosity got the best of me.

"Hi there!" A friendly older woman greeted me once I entered. From the corner of my eye I spotted some kids running into a room lined with mirrors. I approached the counter that the woman was standing at. She was short, my height, with long fiery red hair.

"Hi... I'm um... well I haven't dance in months, and I'm missing it, I guess. I'm just perusing some studios." I spoke with my hands. I kind of wished that I had brought someone with me.

"Ah well, are you looking to dance, or looking to teach? We only offer two adult classes, and they're mostly for beginners." The woman took out a pamphlet and handed it to me. I fiddled with the paper but looked at her.

"Teach? Are you hiring teachers?" I was more intrigued with that aspect at her question.

"Actually, right now we are. You're pretty lucky you came in when you did because two of our best just quit on us."

"Why's that?"

"Personal reasons, I guess. They're a married couple going through some 'issues,'" she used air quotes, "and I didn't want to intrude on their life. But anyway, my names Maria." She held out her tiny hand which I took in mine.

"Piper."

"So what kind of job are you looking for? Part time? Week-ends? Day shift?"

"I'd say mostly week-ends." I paused and looked into Maria's deep brown eyes. "Don't you want to see if I can actually dance?"

"This is just an introduction." She flashed a genuine smile. I giggled and nodded in understanding.

"Well I have a job that takes up a lot of time, but my weekends are almost always free, along with most Monday nights. If you're willing to hire me that'd be fantastic."

"Do you have teaching experience?" She began walking around the lobby-area to clean and organize some stray dance magazines.

"Yes. I just stopped teaching like four or five months ago. I taught pre-school ballet and modern classes. Sometimes I would fill in on a hip hop class too."

"That's nice. Follow me up here." She flipped a sign on the front door and led me towards the back of building. We weaved through a few hallways before we entered a cement blocked room with a few ballet slippers lining the wall. "Not much of an office, but it does the job."

Maria sat across from me as we took seats in plastic chairs.

"How much time do you have?" She asked. I shrugged.

"All day, I guess."

"I'm not really big on interviews, but because you'd be working with children, I've got to ask these things."

"Right, right." I smiled at her. I found it incredibly hard to believe that I was about to get a job teaching dance. It wasn't what I expected from walking into the studio.

"How long did you dance before teaching?"

"About 14 years. I taught for three years before moving here."

"Where from?"

"Vegas."

"Vegas! That's a pretty long way. How come?" she leaned forward and looked at me
questioningly.

"I got a job with the FBI as a computer analyst."

Maria sat back with a crooked smile. "Not really the answer I was expecting."

I laughed. "I know, dancing and computers are not really the best of friends, but that's what I like about the two."

She held up her hands as if to apologize for her previous statement.
"I get it. I used to be an accountant 'till I opened up this place."

Maria asked me a few more casual questions until she finally stood up and stuck out her hand.

"How's Saturday's.... let's say noon to five."

"Perfect." I shook her hand.

"But first, I want to see what you've got."

"Now?"
She left the room and motioned for me to follow her. She led me into a room that had four young teenage girls and a man about my age. Maria scanned the stack of CD's and popped one into the expensive-looking player. She spoke over the music.

"Let's see it."
I shrugged and slipped off my sneakers so I could dance in my socks. I tossed my sweater to the side of the room and stretched briefly before walking to the middle. Soft, but gradually growing piano music filled the room. The girls and their instructor went to lean on a wall lined with mirrors.

Two minutes later I was out of breath, sitting with my back to the front mirror. I got applause from the people in the room. I smiled and stood up.

"I haven't dance in months." I said as tied my hair back.

"Doesn't show a bit." Maria said as she approached me. We began walking from the studio and towards the front lobby. I noticed, for the first time, how nice it was. The room was lined with chairs and in the middle was a glass table scattered with books and magazines. A toy box was in the corner of the room, obviously for younger children, and the front desk was made of glass with a few things (mostly ballet notebooks, pens, hair ties, etc.) for sale underneath. Next to the front desk was a room about the size of my kitchen that was cut into the wall. In it was a plentiful amount of dance shoes, ranging in size, color, and type. Some dance clothes were hanging from the walls above.

"So I'm figuring on Saturday we'll start you off with some introductions to the class, you can get to know all the students and how they learn. After-wards, if I like what I see, we'll discuss permanent options and payment plans."

"Sounds great! Thank you so much."

"Thank you! Can't wait for Saturday." Maria smiled warmly at me as I walked from the room.

My smile could be seen for miles.

XXXXXX

The team greeted me with hugs as they entered the building.

"Good to see you all safe." I said. Hotch immediately went to his office while the rest circled around Emily's desk.

"Good to see you too little girl. You did good on this case." Derek said as he threw himself into Spencer's empty seat.

"Ah I barely did a thing. I just wish I could help more."

"What a nice thing to say." Emily said as they all laughed at me.

"Ha ha ha." I rolled my eyes and stood, heading towards the door.

"We're going out for drinks; are you in?" Penelope shouted as I approached the exit.

"No thanks, maybe next time. I'm pretty tired."

"Come on little girl, don't be like that." Derek said as he walked towards me.

"Be like what? I'm just tired." I said, turning to face him.

"Ok, as long as you're not being bitter about us laughing at you."

"I'm never bitter, you should know that by now. I'll see you soon."

He kissed my forehead. "Night."

I had grown to love my quiet drive home. There was usually a Mozart or Beethoven CD in while I drove. It was routine to drive directly to my apartment, but this drive was different. I drove past the studio that I was now employed at, and then past the building I had initially wanted to buy. After my leisurely drive I went home. I threw myself onto my bed and sighed.

More than anything I wanted to call Spencer and tell him about my week, but God only knew what he was doing at the moment. It only took one Spencer thought to send my mind racing. What was he doing? When would he be coming back? Was there something I could have done to stop him from leaving?

These thoughts flooded my mind as I fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
i know, i know, this one doesnt have a lot of Spencer in it. BUT NO WORRIES the next few will be Spencer-focused and drama filled! thanks for reading!