Two High IQ's Make One Great Romance

What A Character

"Dinner tonight?" I questioned Derek who was standing over me as I stared intently at the screen before my eyes.

"Yeah. Nothing special. I figured a few of us could go out to a bar or something. You look like you could use a drink after today." He sat down next to me and stole my gaze from the computer.

"Actually... that sounds really nice. Who all is going?" I asked.

"So far it's just me, you, Reid, JJ, and Garcia."

"Ok sounds good. What's the address?" I asked before reaching for a pen and a piece of paper.

"I know you're not from around here so I'm not letting you drive to some random bar. Reid will pick you up, his apartment is a few blocks from yours."

"How do you know where I live?" I asked, suddenly worried that Penelope had put my private information in the bio she had created for me.

"I asked Hotch in case I ever need you for anything. And I like to make sure all the BAU members are safe, so since you're working here now that includes you. Don't worry about it, I'm just protective is all."

"That's nice of you, I guess." I said, fidgeting with some of the buttons on the computer.

"No, no, no. You've got to click automatic transition before switching to manual. Otherwise we'll be here all night." Penelope interrupted as I attempted to shift the computers to sleep mode.

"Oh sorry. So how'd I do on my first day?" I asked after the screens went dark and I leaned back comfortably in my chair.

"I'm... actually impressed. I'm sorry I ever doubted you. I must say you're one of the most competent college graduates I've ever met." She rubbed my knee. I beamed at her.

"Thanks! I knew I wouldn't disappoint." I rose from my chair and grabbed my purse. "What time should I expect Dr. Reid?" I asked Derek who was leaning on the door frame.

"Call him Reid. And let's just say eight. I've yet to talk to him."

"Alright. See you later Derek." I waved at him. "Bye Penelope!" I said cheerily before leaving for home.

I bounced out of the office feeling ecstatic but nervous all at once. My first day had been extremely progressive, but overwhelming as well. It was encouraging to know that the agents at the BAU were happy to get to know me.
I walked into my apartment hoping that it had somehow miraculously been decorated for me. The worst thing about moving was moving furniture and unpacking by myself. It was so different than moving from home to a college dorm, or even into a college apartment with my best friend back home.

After changing into a pair of loose jeans and one of my old collegiate t-shirts, I began working on the unpacking process. I had finished the entire kitchen with the final unveiling of my coffee maker this morning, and now I had to get to work on my bedroom. The only thing standing was my bed and two night stands. I was lucky enough to have my dad fly out with me a few weeks earlier to paint my entire apartment and get the wall paper up in my bedroom. He decided that if I was going to live by myself, he was not going to let me get away with all the painting and carpentry by myself.

I rolled out the giant furry purple rug that covered roughly half the space in my room. I hung the curtains from the iron bar across my wide window. The view I had of the streets below were surprisingly gorgeous, but then again I enjoyed the simple things like the sight of a few trees swaying in the wind across the street from me. I had just hung the pictures that my best friend Brianne had taken for to me put in my apartment when there was a knock.

I checked my cell phone, noticing it was only 7:15. Dr. Reid wasn't supposed to get here for another forty five minutes, and I had only left work about an hour ago. I walked cautiously to the door and looked out the peephole, seeing the lanky character in front of the door shifting anxiously.

"Hi Dr. Reid. Derek said you wouldn't be coming for another forty five minutes?" I said, trying not to sound rude.

"He told me to come at seven, I thought I was late." He rubbed his hands together and looked down at me with apologetic eyes. "I can leave and just come back later on, it's no problem." He started backing up.

"Oh no! Don't bother. If you want to just wait a few minutes I can get ready quickly and we can leave." I opened the door wide and made room for him to step inside.

"Are you sure? It's really no problem.." He started.

"Dr. Reid, please come in. I'll just be a few minutes."

He took slow and careful steps into my apartment.

"This is... this is a really nice place." He said as he stepped into my kitchen. I sniffed and rubbed my nose.

"It's nothing special. My aunt rents it to me, she owns the building. She insisted I come live near her for at least a year. That's basically why I got the job at the BAU, she wanted me to live in Virginia." I started ruffling through my shelves, trying to remember why I had put the coffee cups so high up. Once retrieved, I poured Dr. Reid a cup of coffee and handed it to him.

"Thank you. That's nice to hear about your aunt, she sounds very nice." He took a sip of the coffee and looked content with its flavoring.

"I'll change quickly and then we can leave. Feel free to take a seat in the living room, you don't have to stay in here, I know it's kind of cramped."

I jogged into my bedroom and dug through my suitcase looking for another pair of appropriate jeans and shirt. I hadn't looked at Dr. Reid's attire, I wasn't sure how casual the dinner was going to be. Derek mentioned that it was just the few of us at a bar, but how was I supposed to know if that was the definite plan?

I decided on a pair of casual jeans and a simple black button up. I took my hair down from it's messy bun and let it fall into it's natural waves. I applied another layer of eyeliner and mascara before returning to Dr. Reid who was flipping through the pages in one of my paper back books laying on my kitchen table.

"You're a Proust fan, I can tell." He had set the coffee cup down and I could see that he had gone through a couple of my books.

"I suppose. I'm generally a fan of all good literature." I shrugged and set his mug in the sink. I looked at how he was dressed. A maroon and white stripped sweater with a white undershirt, and black slacks.

"Are you ready to go?" He asked. I looked at his face. He had immaculate bone structure with very pronounced cheek bones. His long brown hair framed his face and was tucked securely behind his ears.

"Yes. Let me grab my purse." I retrieved my bag from the top of another unpacked box and we left for dinner.

"I'm sorry I arrived so early, Morgan must have gotten the times mixed up." He fumbled to unlock his car for us to get into. It was a small red two-door Saturn, fitting for him.

"It's completely fine. It's not like I was doing anything important." I brushed some hair from my face.

We chatted casually about some of the team members on the short ride to the bar. Derek and the others were already seated when we arrived.

"Hey what kept you guys?" He asked as he got up to hug me and pat Dr. Reid on the back.

"You told me eight o'clock." I set my purse on the table between Derek and Penelope.
Spencer sat next to Penelope and JJ, who was across from me.

"Oh yeah, I did, didn't I? Sorry about that." He rubbed my shoulders. I already was becoming friends with Derek, he was so sincere and likable, it was difficult to think of a bad thing about him. Although it seemed as though he and Penelope were in a relationship of sorts, even though they were sitting separately.

"So your first day was good?" JJ asked.

"Yes very. I was actually surprised on how much I liked it." I laughed.

"That's good to hear. I thought I was too tough on you." Penelope said. I shook my head.

"Not at all!"

"What do you want to drink?" JJ asked. I looked around the table and saw that everyone else was drinking, I might as well.

"Vodka cranberry, please." I said. JJ rose and walked to the bar to order my drink.

"I'm sorry if I seemed like kind of a hard ass today, I just want you to be prepared when I leave for vacation next week. I'm sure you'll be ready though. I wasn't expecting your level of ability when you'd arrived." She spoke with so much vigor that I couldn't barely hold back a smile at her enthusiastic face.

"I'm glad you were or else I wouldn't have understood all of your software. I can't believe that you created that system, it's truly brilliant." I spoke with my hands. Penelope laughed at me.

"You're too sweet. Completely correct, but sweet."

"Ah kid, you'll fit in fine, as long as you keep up the Garcia complements." Derek said. I laughed and thanked JJ for the drink she got for me.

"I've been meaning to ask... It's pretty difficult to get a job with the BAU at such a young age, how'd you get in so quickly?" JJ asked. I looked at Dr. Reid when she said the comment about being young. I sipped the drink while I thought of how to word my answer.

"Well my aunt is apparently close with Agent Hotchner. She said that you guys were looking for someone to help out with the technical department and I said I'd be more than willing. Agent Hotchner told me it was pretty unlikely that someone with my lack of knowledge about the kind of work you do would get the job. But I had some sort of government tests done and they approved my application for federal employment and deemed me fit to work on cases with you. More or less."

"So you're familiar with the cases that we've covered in the past?" JJ spoke again.

"Somewhat. I haven't memorized all of them, but if given the right facts I could piece the case together pretty quickly."

Derek laughed. "You know, for as smart as you are, you talk like a college kid, that's for sure. You sound pretty innocent."

"Innocent? I wouldn't say innocent!" I protested.

"You're the youngest one here, making you the baby, making you innocent!" Derek said, still laughing at me. Penelope spoke up in my defense.

"Other than Reid, she's got the highest IQ here, who cares if shes a little... a little introverted?"

"You guys are brutal." I put my head in my palm in fake disappointment.

We kept joking back and forth until dinner was over and we all decided that we were tired. I could barely believe how quickly I had made friends with my co workers, I had never opened myself up so easily to people before. The only problem was Dr. Reid, he didn't seem to like me very much. He barely spoke and seemed to be very into his meal while we were all enjoying ourselves.

Derek walked Dr. Reid and I out to his car before leaving.

"Thanks for dinner Derek, I'll pay next time." I said. He leaned down and captured me in a quick hug.

"I'm glad you had a good time. See you tomorrow morning kid." He brushed his hand over the top of my hair, messing it up.

"You were um... pretty quiet tonight." I said after a couple seconds of uncomfortable silence in Dr. Reid's car.

"Sorry. I was just thinking a lot." He said with a tight grip on the wheel. I could tell I'd made him more uncomfortable than before. We drove in silence until we reached my apartment.

"Thanks for driving me." I said as I climbed from the car. He followed me out. "You don't have to walk me up." I said, already searching for my key in my purse.

"No, I have to. It's the FBI agent in me." He joked. It was the first time I'd seen him crack a smile all night. He had a gorgeous smile.

We walked, silently, to my front door.

"Do you um..." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "Need help unpacking? I noticed all of your things were basically still in boxes, and I know you're here by yourself. If you want, I can come by Friday after work and help?"

I looked at him with a slightly open mouth, not sure how to respond. He had barely spoken to me all night, but he wanted to help with my move?

"I couldn't ask you to help me out..." I said, unlocking my door.

"Think of it as a trade. I'll help you unpack, and you can lend me some of your books." He glanced in my door, looking for the book sitting on my kitchen table.

"Ok. I guess that'd be great. Thanks Doctor Reid."

"Reid. Just Reid. Or Spencer. Whichever. Not Doctor Reid. That's how I introduce myself to unsubs." He said. I looked into my apartment and back towards him, desperate to climb into my bed.

"Thanks Spencer. See you tomorrow." I clicked the door shut, making sure to dead bolt and attached the chain on it.

Doctor Spencer Reid, what a character.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading! Hope you like the story so far =]