Two High IQ's Make One Great Romance

Are You Giving Her Soup?

"You don't have to go into the other room, you know! I work with you, I'm used to your business conversations!" I shouted so that he could hear me. He came back a second later with my laptop under his arm and looked at me as if to tell me he told me so. He hadn't walked away to have a private conversation with Hotch, he just left to grab my laptop.

"Yeah Hotch. Less than ten minutes.... Right... Ok. No she's in bed watching TV.... Yes I'm with her." He shut his phone and sat next to me again.

"I've got to finish up some things. But he told me not to let you even look at a computer screen." He opened up my laptop and immediately began looking over some case information. Normally Spencer enjoyed paper files, but there was more information in one easy contained space on the computer. I had convinced him to occasionally take a technical perspective to cases.

Almost exactly ten minutes later his phone was ringing again. From the giant sigh and dramatic eye roll coming from Spencer, I knew that it was not Hotch.

"Morgan." He answered with some spite hinted in his voice. He rose from the couch and stalked off into the other room and I heard a door slam. I wished that the two of them would make up, for my sake. They both knew the truth about the situation, so why could they not get along?

Spencer came back with his phone closed. He tossed through some papers and shuffled through some files on my laptop before sending an email to Derek. He got back into the bed next to me and wrapped his arm around me. I could feel the tension in him.

"Want to tell me what you and Derek discussed?" I asked him. Another sigh came from Spencer before he took a deep breath.

"He thinks I'm not doing a good enough job of taking care of you. I told him that it was none of his business what happens while he's gone. I know for a fact that Morgan just thinks I'm not capable of being in a relationship or anything like this..." Spencer shook his head.

"He doesn't think that. Derek used to tell me how much you liked me and we would talk about how you and I should be together. He wants you to be with me, you can be sure of that. And well... I'm not entirely sure about what he thinks about you taking care of me... but if he somehow does think that you're not capable, then just show him wrong."

Spencer was silent. "Will you two please just get over this fight? You both know what happened, everyone knows what happened. You're best friends... you shouldn't be fighting about something so stupid."

"It's not stupid." Spencer mumbled. Secretly he knew that I was right, but he didn't want to admit it. The boys would make up in time. I was sure that Penelope was giving Derek the same speech in their hotel.

"Yes it is. It's like a high school fight, Spencer."

"Well I wouldn't know anything about a high school fight." He crossed his arms. "Can we stop talking about this please?"

"Fine, sure. But if you and Derek don't make up soon enough, I'm intervening."

"Thanks, but we don't need your help."

"We'll see about that."

Spencer clicked a few buttons on his universal remote so that the lighting in the room turned off and the television was replaced with soft music. He shifted the both of us back so we were no longer leaning, but laying down. I took a deep breath, and for a moment, felt completely fine. It felt as if nothing was wrong with me. After a second though, the feeling passed and the never-ending aching returned.

"Remember that I love you, you know." Spencer said. "Despite how childish I might sound sometimes."

"I know. And I love you too. I'm not sure anyone else could handle this face." I joked, reaching up to pinch his cheek. He laughed and kissed my palm before I brought it back down to his chest where I had settled my head as well. It didn't take long before I was drifting off into sleep.

XXXXXX

"Miss Piper! When are you coming back to dancing?"

I laughed. "As soon as I'm all better. I will be watching your classes from my web-cam though, so make sure that you're well behaved for your new teacher." I leaned over the young girl and rubbed her shoulder. She giggled and jogged away for Maria who was waiting in the corner.

"I told them that we shouldn't bother you, but they were all really sad when I told them the news. Spencer said that it was alright." Maria said.

"It's no problem! I'm glad I get to see my girls again." I looked at the fifteen or so small girls who had gathered around my wheelchair.

"As long as you're not too weak to see us all." Maria said. Spencer walked into the room and smiled at the people who were surrounding me.

"I didn't realize that you guys were coming over so quickly." He laughed and approached me in my chair.

"Are you Miss Piper's husband?" A small voice spoke up. I laughed.

"This is Spencer, my nurse."

"Is he taking good care of you? My mom always gives me soup when I'm sick. Are you giving her soup?" A girl named Sarah spoke up and walked toward Spencer. He laughed.

"Only if she asks for it. So far we've eaten a lot of take out."

"Take out!" Maria exclaimed, "You cannot keep up a dancers body with take out!" She smiled, signifying that she was joking. "Well we'll get out of your hair. Everyone wanted to come by and say hello and see their favorite dance teacher. And give you this." Maria handed me a giant envelope which she had been hiding behind two students' bodies.

"Girls! This is so nice of you!" I was so touched by the young girls effort. I had no idea that they cared about me this much. I opened up the card and saw all of the sloppy signatures signed by the students, and some of the kind comments that some of them attempted to write in newly-learned cursive.

"We wanted to make you feel better. Miss Maria said that it was a good idea."

"Aw, sweetie, it was a great idea. Can you guys get into a group hug for me?" I asked, opening my arms. I was immediately met with thirty little arms trying to attach themselves to me. It was a bit painful, but I pushed the pain from my mind as I enjoyed the fact that I had impact on my students.

"Hold it right there I'll get a picture!" Maria said, taking a camera out of her small purse. She formed the girls around my wheel chair and placed them just-so, so that they could all fit in the photo. She snapped the picture and I laughed.

"We'll have to frame that one." Maria said.

"Make me a copy, I'd like to put it in my new house." I said as the girls separated from my chair.

"Alright, now we've really got to get going. Your parents are going to be waiting at the studio.
Say good-bye to Miss Piper."

"Bye Miss Piper!" They all said in unison.

"Bye! I'll see you guys soon! Don't forget that I'm still watching your classes."
They all giggled and headed towards the door.

I sighed once they were gone, still touched by their innocent efforts in making me feel better. "That was really nice." I said to Spencer who was standing behind me still, reading the card as I looked it over.

"Even if their spelling is inaccurate." He added. I laughed.

"It's cute." I set the card onto the table next to my bed. "Why didn't you tell me that they were coming?"

"Maria said that they really wanted it to be a surprise. I didn't think you'd mind considering the case was over and we didn't have much to do today anyway." He shrugged and walked over to the bed where he sat down.

"Thanks for letting them come over. I wasn't sure that you were ok with children in your house."

"Of course I am! Kids love me. I'm kind of like a giant kid."

"Kids don't have extremely high IQ's or work for the FBI or discuss Emily Bronte's influence on American Culture in todays society."

"I like magic, alright. Kids like magic." Spencer threw himself onto the bed in the living room and crossed his feet at his ankles while lacing his fingers behind his head.

"So do pedophiles." I said with a laughed. Spencer looked at me with a blank face, not sure how to respond to my comment. "Well they do. A lot of people like magic, it's not limited to children."

"The point I was trying to make was that kids like me, therefore I like children. Perhaps if we did not get along so nicely I would dislike them." Spencer started talking with his hands. I laughed and patted his thigh, ending our conversation.

"I'm going to take a bath."
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of a short chapter, and I'm sorry that it ended at kind of an awkward spot. and I'm VERY SORRY for the long wait for this chapter, but I've been extremely busy with finals and essays and blah blah blah. I promise to start writing more as soon as I'm officially done with the semester =] thanks so much to those who commented, every single one means so much to me, it makes me feel like a good writer. Thanks guys =]