Two High IQ's Make One Great Romance

Something About Him

"Do you think you can handle everything here?" Agent Hotchner asked with a stern expression. I nodded at him nervously.

"Yes. Penelope told me that I know everything that will be necessary."

"Ok. If you have any problems you can call Garcia, or even Reid. I'm sure he's familiar with some of the networking." He said before turning away and walking briskly down the hall.

They were leaving in an hour for a case in New Jersey. Everyone was checking on me before they left to make sure I could handle everything. I assured everyone that I would be fine, but still they felt the need to check. Their hesitance was understandable when it came to me. I was young, and they felt the need to reassure themselves of my competence.

The only person that hadn't come to talk to me was Spencer.
"Hey Piper." He must have read my mind. I turned around in my computer chair and looked up at him.

"Hey Spencer. Did you get everything ready for your presentation next week?" I asked before he got the chance to ask if I was going to be all right while everyone was gone.

"Yes I did. I've memorized it." He took a seat in the chair next to me that was usually filled by Penelope.

"That's good." There was an awkward silence as I logged into the computer network. He sat and wrung his hands together.

"So um... do you think you'll be ok here by yourself?" He finally asked. I laughed at him.

"Yes, I'll be fine. You're like the fifth person to ask me if I'd be ok." I said.

"Oh.. sorry."

"It's fine! I'm glad everyone cares enough about me to check up on me."

The computers were now fully running and the entire room was glowing in their artificial light. I looked at Spencer at my side.

"Well, I'll see you in a few days." He stood and took long steps to the door.

"Have a safe trip." I waved at him. He smiled and walked out. It was strange to me that Spencer and I had been so comfortable around each other only three days ago, and now we were acting so awkwardly. Though I knew both of us were quite shy. The feeling that hit me in the pit of stomach never left whenever I was with Spencer. It was always like the first moment when our eyes met, there was always that spark.

I wondered also how Penelope could deal with her friends coming and going all the time. And how anyone in this type of government position could deal with this sort of job, with all of the murderers and psychopaths that they had to deal with. I was glad that I only had to get information for them, and not have to deal with serial killers.

XXXXXX

"Is that everything?" I asked Agent Hotchner after he asked for addresses and background checks on some suspects.

"Yes. Send it to my phone."

"Will do." I hung up. He seemed so intense when he talked on the phone. Then again, everyone in the office told me how passionate he was towards his job. Minutes after I had sent all of the information to Agent Hotchner a little orange light began beeping on one of the computer screens. I adjusted my head set and turned the screen on. It was Spencer.

"Hey." He smiled. I looked at him, puzzled.

"Do you need something?" I didn't want to sound rude, but I was also concerned that he needed something for the case.

"Uh no, actually I'm at the hotel with my laptop. Morgan said it'd be good to check in on you, so here I am." He spoke with his hands on his lap.

"Oh! Ok. Why are you at the hotel? Shouldn't you be working?"

"I was. But then.. well I passed out. Hotch sent me here to get some rest, but I thought I'd see how things were going back in Virginia."

"Oh my gosh! Spencer! Why did you pass out?" I was worried that perhaps something terrible had happened to him, but then I realized that nothing that bad could have happened if he was here talking to me now.

"They told me it was sun stroke. I'd been out in the heat all day. But don't worry, I've had plenty of water and came here to the shade."

"Oh gee. Don't worry me like that again. I thought something was seriously wrong."

"Sorry Piper." He paused. "So every thing's ok back home?"

"Yep. I guess. No catastrophes or disasters as of yet." I turned around to organize some papers and when I turned back, the screen was black. "Oh. Bye Spencer." I said to the blank screen. What a funny way of ending a conversation.

XXXXXX

"So everything was good?" I asked Agent Hotchner. He had called me into his office a few minutes ago.

"You did amazing. I'm impressed. Garcia said you were good, but I was surprised. Now, when she gets back from vacation a lot of things are going to be happening. First off, JJ is leaving to work with the president, and Garcia is taking over her job for the most part. That means that she'll still be working as technical analyst, but she'll also be traveling with us from now on. So that leaves you here, with all of the computers. It will definitely not be as difficult as this week was, but the effort still needs to be there." He was sitting at his desk with the stern look on his face that I had gotten accustomed to.

"I understand. Same job, less work." I said. He smiled at me from behind dark eyelashes. I wondered just how often Agent Hotchner smiled.

"Good. So I'll see you on Monday then." He stood and walked with me to his door.

"Bye Agent Hotchner." I waved.

"Piper, call me Hotch."

"Ok." I said shyly. Something about me always made me uncomfortable in friendly situations. Maybe it was from when I was a small child and constantly misunderstood because I came from a single parent home. I didn't have many friends, and the ones I did have didn't understand my life. It was easier to let myself be ignored.

My high heels clicked in time as I walked up to my apartment. The timing slowed as I approached the door. It was open. I looked around the hallway for some sort of clue as to who would have broken into my place.

My fingers shook as I opened the door a little wider and peaked inside.

"Who's in here?" I asked nobody in particular. Feet shuffled from my bedroom and rushed into the kitchen to where the perpetrator was visible.

"Piper!"

"Aunt Lucy!" I shouted and jumped into her welcoming arms. She hugged me warmly.
Aunt Lucy was the closest thing I had to a mother figure. Although I didn't see her often, she was the only other person besides my father who had truly cared for me my entire life. Aunt Lucy was my mothers sister, but after she died, she never left my father and I without help. I loved her like a mother.

"Hi baby girl." She said into my ear as we hugged.

"Not that I don't love this surprise visit, but why'd you break in to my apartment?" I asked, pulling away from her.

"Sweetie I own the building, I can get a key pretty easily." she brushed my hair down and sat at the kitchen.

"You left the door open."

"Did I? Hm, didn't notice."

I got her a cup and began making some tea. Aunt Lucy thought it was appropriate for all occasions.

"Dear, I don't know why you insist on living in this small apartment. Your father could have bought you a house and more, and so could I." she shook her head as she took the cup from my hands.

"I don't need a house. I like it here. Why would I bother getting a giant house that I would be in by myself? I don't want that sort of responsibility or space." I shrugged while sitting.

"I suppose you're right. But still, you could have lived with me."

"I need some independence. But I mean I am kind of living with you, it's your apartment."

"That's not what I meant." She took a long sip of tea. "Who helped you unpack? You finished with everything so quickly."

"A friend from work. Spencer Reid."

Aunt Lucy's bright blue eyes popped open.

"The boy genius? Wow, I'm surprised. He's pretty cute, you know."

"Yes, I know. I have eyes. But he's kind of shy."

She placed a warm hand on mine.

"We're all kind of shy. You should give him a shot, you never know what might happen."

"I don't know."

"Listen doll, I know you. And I know that you're terribly shy when it comes to new people. But warm up to him. I think you two are... well you're two peas in a pod. You guys are so similar it's amazing. I mean, he may be a boy genius, but you're definitely smarter than anyone else I know."

"Come on, I wouldn't say I'm that smart." I joked. She laughed briefly but got back to her point.

"You know what I mean. You tend to over analyze things, despite that being part of your job. I've met Spencer a few times and he kind of seems like the perfect guy for you."

"You're actually not the first person to tell me that. Some people at work have been hinting at us getting together."

"Just do me a favor and think about it. I'm not telling you to go out and marry the guy, but think about what you want."

"I'm constantly thinking."

XXXXXX

"I'm constantly thinking." Reid said from his chair. Morgan leaned over from his seat and looked down at him.

"I, more than anyone, know that is true. You're always thinking, but maybe some things don't need to be thought about."

"You don't know how absurd that sounds to me." He smiled and sipped his sugared coffee.

"This girl is perfect for you. She looks like she was practically designed for someone like you."

Reid was quiet. He had never dated much, he never had the time. And partly because he never had the courage to ask a girl out. But lately when he thought about all the people around him who were happily married or in committed relationships, he wondered when something like that would happen to him. And then along comes Piper with her tiny frame, long dark hair, stunning blue eyes, and brilliant mind. She was one to give him a run for his money.

"Someone like me." He repeated Derek's words.

"Yeah, kid, someone like you. I think you should ask her out. I'm not one for interoffice dating or anything, but I'm willing to look the other way."

"How do I even do that?"

"Ask her out? You just kind of... ask her on a date." Derek motioned with his hands.

"At work? Do I call?" His voice was getting more and more high pitched as he got extensionally more nervous.

"Didn't she say she was a dancer? Take her to a show. Surprise her. Do something cute. You're a cute kid, do something fitting for the two of you. You both like museums and stuff, right? Something like that." Derek glanced at his watch. "I've got to go. I told my mom I'd give her a call once I got home and she's going to bed soon. See ya later Reid." He patted Spencer's back before rushing out the coffee house door. Spencer looked into his blackened coffee cup.

"Take her to a show..." He mumbled to himself.

XXXXXX

Aunt Lucy had left after giving me a plentiful amount of gifts that I did not need. I had snuggled into a new pair of pajamas that she had given me and put on some Mozart before opening a new book. I cherished the smell of a new book.

A blinking light startled me and caused me to jump, which caused my book to shut.

"Ugh." I groaned. It was my cell phone. "Hello?" I answered as cheerily as I could. It was number I did not recognize.

"Hey Piper." Spencer's meek voice sounded from the other end. I sat up straight.

"Hey Spencer." I said.

"So I was wondering if maybe... uh.. you'd like to go out with me tomorrow night?" He asked. I could hear the nervousness in his voice.

"What did you have in mind?" It probably was not the most polite thing to say, but of course I couldn't think of anything better.

"Well I just got these tickets to a ballet tomorrow, it's kind of a drive away, but if you'd like to go..." He trailed off, not knowing how to end his sentence.

"I'd love to! What time?"

Spencer let out a sigh of relief which was not muffled by phone interference. I smiled.

"I'll pick you up around 6. Is that ok?"

"That's great. Thank you Spencer."

"See you tomorrow."

I couldn't hide my excitement as I tucked my phone into my pajama pocket. It was so weird, just after I had the conversation with Aunt Lucy, Spencer asked me on a date. But I couldn't deny the obvious chemistry between us. Something about him drove me crazy, and I hoped he felt the same way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Soooo this is kind of a filler chapter, but i hope you like it =] thanks for reading! and a big thank you to the people who left comments, they mean a lot to me =]