Two High IQ's Make One Great Romance

Date Night

My long hair was curled and went past my shoulders. I wore my eyeliner thick with winged tips to make my eyelashes look longer and fuller.

Aunt Lucy had recently bought me a black dress that she thought was my style, and it was to a T. It was an A-line straight lace dress that went over my shoulders. I matched the dress with dark red peep-toe pumps and black rose jewelry. I looked in the mirror and hoped that I wasn't over dressed. Spencer had said it was a ballet though, and I knew that ballets generally meant dressing well.

I heard his eager knock at the door and grabbed my red clutch purse before running to greet him.

"Hey." I smiled up at him. He opened his mouth but didn't speak immediately.

"You look....amazing." His eyes glistened. I peered at him from the doorway. He was wearing a black suit with a plain white button up and skinny black tie. He had his hair slicked back and I could see his face more clearly than usual.

"You do too." I said. We stood, looking, for another few moments.

"We should go. It's a half hour drive." He looked down at his watch and then back at me.

"Alright, let's go." I smiled at him while locking my door behind me.

We walked silently down to his car and he held the door open for me.

"Thank you for inviting me, it was really nice of you." I said once he had settled in the driver's seat.

"To be honest, I bought the tickets just for us to see together. You said that you were a dancer, so I figured that you'd enjoy seeing a performance."

"Definitely. You're a smart one." I joked. He cracked a gorgeous smile and then popped in a CD. He left it on quietly so we could continue to talk.

"Hotch was raving about you, you know. The entire week. Well, when he wasn't focusing on the case, he was talking about how good of a job you were doing."

"I'm shocked to hear you say that. I mean, I'm flattered. I didn't think he thought that highly of me."

"We all do. It's astounding how well you're fitting in. It's like you've been here all along."
I was silent for a second, letting that information overwhelm me.

"That's great." Was all I managed to say. I didn't know why I let such menial things, like fitting in, get to me in this way.

"Are you ok?" Spencer asked after seeing my expression.

"Yeah, yeah. It's just... I've never really fit in anywhere you know? I grew up with my dad in our small house, and when I was little, no one wanted to be my friend because of the lifestyle we lived. But then once Pipeler took off and we got too much money for the two of us to even handle, I had to figure out who wanted to be my friend for me, and who wanted my money. I've only met a few people who appreciated me for the things I say and do. It sounds stupid..." I shook my head and covered my eyes. I felt his warm hand cover mine and take it away from my face. He squeezed it lightly before placing his own back on the wheel.

"It's not stupid. I understand, completely. If anyone knows anything about not fitting in, it's the kid who graduated high school at twelve."
We laughed in unison.

"Sorry to like... unload all of this information on you."

"Don't be sorry. I like getting to know you." His brushed back his hair.

"As long as you're not profiling me." I joked. Spencer looked over and smiled sincerely.

"I'll try not to."

We talked casually until we arrived at the theater a few minutes later. Spencer insisted on opening the door for me. It was nice. I'd never had anyone treat me this way before. Obviously his mother taught him manners.

Once we were seated he leaned over and whispered to me as the lights went down.

"I've got to be honest, I don't much like ballet." He said, smiling. I giggled and leaned over to him, making him bend so I could whisper in his ear.

"I don't much care." I joked. We got quiet once the music started and people appeared on the stage.

Two hours and one intermission later, Spencer and I were walking away from the crowded theater with hundreds of people surrounding us.

"That was beautiful." I said, shaking my head in amazement.

"I'm actually a bit surprised on how much I enjoyed it. I suppose it helped that I didn't have someone chatting in my ear the entire time."

I blushed. "I get really into ballet, there was no way I would take my eyes from it."

"Oh I understand completely. I'm glad you liked it so much." He started tucking his hair back after it had gotten blown from the wind. I noticed how chilly it was getting all of a sudden. It was kind of late, but it was still summer time, there shouldn't have been this much wind.
"It's getting kind of cold." I said, looking towards the sky to find it full of clouds. "I didn't think it was supposed to rain tonight."

Spencer followed my gaze and looked up.

"Me neither. I hadn't checked the weather. Maybe I should have." He held his hand out only for a rain drop to fall on it. I glanced up again and a drop hit my nose.

"Oh shoot. It's not a far walk to the car is it?" I asked. The rain began picking up.

"Uhh.." He looked around. "No. Well whats your definition of far?" He asked, laughing. I had forgotten that we had to park a few blocks away because the parking ramp was full. We still had another two blocks.

It started pouring. I started jogging, not waiting for Spencer. I heard his audible surprise and his legs starting to jog after me. He kept up quiet easily, and my high heels were fairly difficult to walk in, let alone run in.

"Here!" He slipped off his jacket and put it around my shoulders.

"No, no. It's fine." I tried to give it back, but he forced it back on me.

"Your dress is too pretty." He said. My lips couldn't have created a bigger smile. He was too cute. I let the jacket hang on my shoulders. It was a comfortable size on me, a bit big, but not large enough to fall off.

We looked like wet dogs once we reached his car, both in hysterics when we climbed in.

"I hate the rain." Spencer said through his laughter.

"The rain loves you, that's why it smothered you."
My hand rubbed his shoulder and I felt how soaked he had gotten. I took his jacket off and handed it to him.

"It's dry on the inside." I said, placing it around his skinny shoulders.

"Thanks. Are you cold?" He asked, glancing at me with his soft brown eyes.

"No I'm fine. Just wet." I laughed. We began another round of giggles as he started his car and began the drive home. We talked the entire time, mostly about the show, somewhat about my dancing past.

We pulled close to my apartment, he parked out front. Spencer stopped the car and set the keys in his pocket. He ran around the car to open the door for me.

"You don't have to do that." I said, shaking my head.

"Yes I do." He walked me up to my room until we got to the door. He turned to face me.

"Thank you, so much, for taking me out tonight. I had a really great time." I said, shyly. I wasn't quite sure how you were supposed to act at the end of a date.

"I did too. Thanks for coming out."

"So I guess I'll see you on Monday?"

"Bright and early." He smiled. He took a small step forward and leaned down, delicately placing a light kiss on my cheek. My face flushed and I felt warm from head to toe.

"Good night Spencer." I whispered. His lips curled into that adorable smile, and he walked away slowly down the stairs.

XXXXXX

"You went on a date with Reid?" Penelope asked frantically as we got ready for work on Monday.

"Yes. Is that bad?" I asked.

"Of course not! We've been trying to get that kid a date for years. He barely speaks to women outside of work. So how was it?"

"That date? It was great. He was polite and adorable as always. He took me to see a ballet." The computers were turned on and we were logging into the system.

"That's cute. Thank god you guys had a good time, he would have been a nervous wreck if you didn't." She joked. I rolled my eyes and began working the search engines. "You guys really are perfect for each other. The nerdiest, most adorable couple imaginable." She spoke with brightness in her voice. I blushed, feeling suddenly shy.

"So I've been told. But let's not talk about me. Isn't today JJ's last day?" I asked. Penelope looked at her computer screen, then to me, then back to the computer.

"Yes. It is. Let's not talk about that either." She spoke with a sullen attitude.

"Well how about... well how was your vacation?" I asked.

"Hey baby girl! I missed seeing your pretty little face around these parts." Derek's voice boomed as he entered the room.

"And you... I heard you and Reid went on a date!" He pointed in my face. I blushed three shades of red.

"Oh stop. We've already gossiped about it. So let's go get coffee and I'll tell you about my lavish trip to Hawaii. Do your best not to be so jealous." Penelope rose from her chair and led Derek out the door, leaving me alone in the dim room.

I let out a deep breath and wiped my bangs away from my forehead. My glasses steamed in my embarrassment. How could news have spread so quickly? Had Spencer told everyone?

"Hey there." Speaking of Spencer....

"Hi." I said. I let out another deep breath and tried to cool my warm cheeks with my hands.

"You ok?" He asked, taking a seat next to me.

"Yeah." Pause. "Who did you tell about our date?" I asked. He looked shocked, I wasn't sure if it was legitimate shock, or if he was trying to cover something up.

"Just Morgan. He called me Sunday morning, and I told him that I had a busy night. He pried into it so I just told him."

"Oh. I was just wondering. Penelope asked me about it this morning, I don't know... I was worried."

"Do you not want people to know?" He sounded hurt. I shook my head and swiveled in my chair to look at him.

"No, no. That's not it. I just thought that like.. us dating would be against the rules. In fact I was pretty sure that it is."

"Well, I suppose it is. But I wouldn't worry about it at all. No ones going to say anything. They need us both here, and us dating isn't going to change that."

"It might."

"It won't." He smiled sincerely at me. "But um.. uhh.."

"It's JJ's last day, I won't bring anything up." I said, finishing his thoughts. He rose from his chair.

"Not that you would, I was just.. uh.. worried."

"We're so very worrisome. We should stop that." I said, trying to sound like I was joking.

"Yeah. I'll get back to you later today." He started walking for the door. More than anything I wished he would turn back and kiss me on the cheek like he had before, but he kept walking.

XXXXXX

I watched everyone say their good byes to JJ from a distance. I didn't want to interrupt their intimate moment with their friend. It seemed silly of me to give JJ the same good bye as the rest of the team, so I held back and kept working until everyone had left the building. No one seemed to notice my staying there. Even Hotch had walked out. I knew he would soon return and read some paper work, but for the moment he had wondered from the building.

I finally had shut down the computers and gathered my things to leave.

"You're still here." He spoke from the back of the office. His voice carried over the desks. I whipped around and smiled meekly. How did he always manage to catch me in my off moments?

"Yeah, I was just finishing up some work."

"Did you say good bye to JJ?" Spencer took long strides in my direction.

"Somewhat. We spoke earlier for a little bit. Did you?" I took a few small steps towards him and waited for him to meet me in the middle of the room.

"Yes, unfortunately. But I'm Henry's God Father so I'm sure I'll see her around. It's still sad though, that she has to leave. She's honestly one of my best friends." He picked up a folder from his desk as he continued to move towards me.

"I didn't know that. Hmm I guess I didn't know how close you guys were."

"Yeah well, we're all pretty close around here. It's going to be tough with JJ leaving." He had finally caught up to me and surprisingly enveloped me in a hug. His long arms wrapped around my middle and he bent forward so I could rest my head on his shoulder. I didn't want the hug to end, but he pulled away reluctantly.

"I needed that." He said.

"Me too."
We started walking towards the exit.

"So what are your plans for tonight?" I asked, hoping he had an opening in his schedule.

"My presentation is tonight."

"Oh yeah, I must have forgotten about that. Good luck." We had walked out the door and were headed towards our cars.

"I'll see you tomorrow Piper." He waved towards me. I stopped walking and faced him. Sensing what I wanted, he moved closer to me once again wrapped his arms around my middle. I squeezed him tightly, not wanting to let go.

"You know, I wouldn't mind if you called me tonight." I said, leaning back with my arms still hooked around his waist. He beamed that signature Spencer smile and I couldn't help but feel like I was in high school again.

"I'll call you." He leaned down and brushed his lips against my cheek, making me blush.

"Bye."
♠ ♠ ♠
Date Night Outfit

Soooo I hope you like the story so far! more to come soon! annnnd just for the record I was thinking about it, and i thought i should mention that the story line does not follow the actual show, obviously. but thanks for reading!