Two High IQ's Make One Great Romance

Taken

"St. Louis." Spencer said clearly as he walked into the computer room.

"Ah. St. Louis. Nice place." I spoke, not bothering to look up at him. He took a seat next to me and put his hand on the back of my chair.

"Not so nice when there's a serial killer on the loose."
I laughed a small and ironic laugh. "I suppose that's true. When do you leave?" I stopped working briefly to swivel in my chair and face him.

"About an hour." He blinked several times. We had been acting normally all day, but the thought of Spencer leaving the day after we kissed was a bit frustrating to me. I wanted to spend as much time with him as possible. It was purely a jealousy issue for me, which was unusual. I had never felt this way towards someone, so every feeling was a new one for me.

Penelope waltzed into the room, dressed more business casually than I'd ever seen her. Spencer leaned back in his chair and took his attention away from me.

"You're going with them, right?" I asked Penelope who began gathering things from her desk.

"Well I'm not dressed like this for my own good."

"Ok, moody." I said, smirking.

"Easy there girly." she said before jogging from the room.

"When do you think you'll be back?" I asked Spencer who had turned his attention back towards me.

"It depends. I'd say around four days, but these things are never exact. It mostly depends on what kind of unsub we're dealing with."
Spencer rose from his chair and straightened his clothes to fill time.

"Will you call when you get there?" I asked.

"Hotch will be the first one to call, I'm sure."

"Yeah, I knew that. But I wanted you to call." I looked up at him from my seat, begging him to get the hint. His eyes opened in realization.

"Oh! Yes, I'll call."

I got up from my chair and stood in front of Spencer, not sure what to do. Do we hug? Kiss? Neither? We weren't a couple or anything, we'd only been on two dates. But the feelings I had for him were unlike any I'd ever had, and I hoped that he felt the same way. I wondered if he was smart enough to realize my affection for him.

His lanky arms found their way to my waist and he pulled me in tightly. I wrapped my arms around his middle, not able to reach up to his neck without a stretch. We hugged for a few moments. I squeezed his middle tightly, not wanting to let go. After he told me about all the dangerous situations he had been in, it was impossible not to worry about him and the entire team while they were away.

He pulled back for a second, but then leaned down. I got on my toes and met him half way so our lips could meet briefly. He tasted like coffee. I smiled into the kiss and was beaming when he pulled away.

"I'll be worried about you." I said. He rolled his eyes. Our arms were still hooked around each others waists. His hands rubbed my back comfortingly.

"Don't be. I always make it out alive."

"Well don't say it like that! That makes me think that one of these days maybe you won't!"

Spencer leaned down again and kissed me quickly to shut me up.
"You think Morgan's going to let anything happen to me? No one on this team would let anything happen to anyone else. Relax. I'll be back in a few days." He pulled away and began walking towards the door.

I waved at him and took my seat again, taking a deep breath. Heavy footsteps sounded from behind me. I instantly recognized the persons foot falls.

"Don't, for a second, think that I didn't see that." His deep voice startled me. He was closer to me than I thought. I rubbed my temples and smiled weakly.

I didn't look at Derek. "See what?"

"You and Reid getting it on. God I never knew that boy had any game. This entire time he had me thinking that he could barely talk to a woman, and here you are, mackin' on him during work." He rubbed my shoulders from behind me, and I was blushing like crazy.

"Come on, don't make it sound dirty. We weren't 'getting it on' or 'macking' or whatever you want to call it. So maybe we kissed..." I started talking with my hands like I always did when I was nervous. I sighed and turned to him in defeat. "Please don't tell Hotch."

Derek laughed deeply and patted my back. "Don't worry about a thing kiddo. Not that Hotch would care. He wants to see Reid happy just as much as I do."

"So it's not a problem?"

"Not at all."

"I still don't want people knowing. It makes me feel weird. I don't want people to think of me or Spencer differently because of our whole... dating thing."

"I told you not to worry about it. But you know...." He paused. "Everyone's going to figure it out. You're surrounded by profilers, it's physically impossible to hide your relationship from everyone for too long."

"I know. It's just... it's a private thing. Everyone can figure it out if they want to, but I want to keep it to ourselves for as long as possible. Besides, it's not like there's much going on. We only went on a few dates. We're not serious." I began speaking with my hands again. Derek laughed again, loudly this time.

"You really are the baby of the office. You need to relax." He ruffled my hair like he always did. Derek had become somewhat of a big brother to me in the short time we had known each other.

"Don't call me a baby." I pretended to pout.

"Alright, little girl." He smirked.

"You know what? I'll take little girl over baby. Only because I know you say it because you love me."

"I do, I do. Obviously not as much as Reid does though!" He joked before darting out of the office with a gigantic smile plastered on his face.

"Have a safe flight!" I shouted out the door as Derek jogged down the hallway. I watched him run, laughing at him as he went.

XXXXXX

"That girl is crazy about you, man." Derek spoke to Reid as they played a game of cards on the plane. They had already been debriefed on the case and had discussed possible suspect profiles, but they still had another two hours before the flight landed.

"Come on, don't make it sound so weird. We've only been on two dates." Spencer's voice was much more hushed than Derek's. He and Piper had an understood code of silence about their dating life, which only Penelope and Derek knew about.

"I saw you two in the tech room today. You're obsessed with her."

"An obsession can be defined as a persistent idea or impulse that continually forces its way into consciousness, often associated with anxiety and mental illness. The relationship we have would definitely not be considered an obsession in the slightest." Reid placed a card down on the table and picked one from the deck.

"Not the point, Reid. The point IS, is that you've been on two dates and are already kissing in the office. Tell me that doesn't meant something to you. To YOU especially, considering the luck you've had with the ladies so far." Derek eyed his cards and set one down on the table.

"I've had luck with women. Just because you don't know how I spend my weekends doesn't mean that I don't have anything going on."

"Yes it does." Derek paused to look at Reid and then at his cards. "Be careful with her though. You're both.... sweet, I guess. It might be that you're jumping into things."

"But don't we have to? Think about it. I'm gone for most of the days in the week, so what time do we have to spend together? Friday and Saturday? And when I talk to her during cases it's always business related. So if we go about things a little quickly, I think it's appropriate. Besides, we're both advanced intellectually so our relationship should naturally progress more quickly than others." Reid shrugged and placed his cards on the table. "Gin."

Derek threw his cards down and began shuffling the deck. "Let's play another game."

"And I'm careful with her. It's me, of course I'm careful." Spencer finished his thoughts as Morgan dealt him a hand.

"Talking about your new love?" Penelope butt in, taking a seat next to Derek.

"You both seriously need to stop pestering me."

"We will once you stop using the word pestering."

XXXXXX

"My fingers are moving as fast as they can. I'll send everything to your phone in less than twenty seconds." I said, fingers flying across the keyboard.

"Hurry." Derek said sternly before shutting his phone. His voice always got low when he was working hard on a case. He and Hotch did the same thing, but I'm not sure they noticed. I never took it personally when he got upset when I couldn't get information as fast as he needed it, I understood that his job took a lot out of him, like it did everyone else.

I sent the information as quickly as possible to Derek's phone and saw that he had received it. I leaned back in my chair, waiting for the next coming phone call which I was sure was only minutes away. Sure enough, as soon as the thought came to my mind, the phone lit up. But it wasn't a business call, I soon realized.

"Daddy!" I yelled into the speaker. I heard his low laugh on the other end. We hadn't spoken in a few weeks, he had been on business in India.

"How are you sweetie?" He asked.

"Ahhh.." I sighed with a smile on my face. "I'm great. I miss you. How are things? How's home?"

"Home is fine. Brianne came over for lunch the other day. She said that she had tried to call you but your phone had been off when she had."

"Yeah, I never remember to charge it. I'll be sure to call her later tonight. How was your trip?" I started shuffling through files on the computer screen, not really paying attention to them.

"It was nice. India is always nice. But I'm calling to talk about you. How's Virginia? How's the FBI?"

"The FBI is an adventure. It's stressful, but my job's a lot easier now since Penelope came back from vacation. She takes the bulk of the work." I said. I could practically hear him nodding in the usual fashion that he did when I spoke. "The apartment looks great, the work we did before we came out really made a difference. Um what else.... I uh... I met a boy." I added the last part quietly. It was not common for me to tell my father about boys I was seeing. All of my past relationships had been really casual, too casual to tell my dad about.

"You did? Tell me about this mystery man." The smile was clear in his expression.

"Well he works with me. He's technically a genius.... ridiculously smart."

"That's good for you. You need someone that can keep up with you." He added. I nodded, realizing he couldn't see me.

"Yes, I know. He took me to a ballet on our first date... I think... um... I think he really likes me."

"Oh Piper if its going to make you awkward you don't have to tell me about him." My dad added with a snicker. I blushed, knowing that my dad and I were similar in that we got embarrassed when speaking of relationships.

"I thought you should know! It's a very fatherly thing to know!" I practically yelled, jokingly, of course.

"You have your aunt for those kinds of things. Let's hear more about that job of yours."

I told him everything about what my job entailed, who I was working with, how I liked my living arrangements. He told me how he was renovating the house, again, but this time it was because he was lonely without me. It almost made me tear up, I had never lived more than 100 miles from home, and being across the country was difficult. My dad reminded me at at any time he could arrange a private jet for me, but I would always decline that offer. It was too much.

After we had stopped talking I realized just how long it had been since someone from the team had called. I checked the time, noticing that it had been nearly an hour, which never happened when they were on a case. Even Garcia would occasionally check in just to make sure the office was fine.

"Piper..."Derek's familiar voice startled me from the computer screen. I adjusted my headset and sat up straight.

"I'm here. How can I help with your murder solving needs today?" I asked. He didn't bother smiling, his face stood still. My palms started to get warm, something was wrong.

"Some thing's happened." was all he said.

I looked back from computer screen to screen, hoping that the next words to come out of Derek's mouth would not be devastating.

"Reid's been taken."
♠ ♠ ♠
merry Christmas! heres a cliff hanger! thanks so much for reading! i really appreciate everyones comments and such. thanks againn!