Zombie 2.0 1/2

Waaaay better then video games!

It wasn’t hard getting Rev from the helicopter to the building. What was hard was setting him up in the ‘chill’ room. Pilot was prepared for something like this, he had IV’s and everything, but in order to run them, he had to run the power to charge the battery in his machine. They hadn’t been used in awhile so this required some thinking.

“If we run this, just like the generator, the zombies will come. I mean, that’s probably not a bad thing, this place IS surrounded, and we can go keep guard. But we don’t want to signal anyone who shouldn’t be here.” Pilot said. “Apparently there are people out there who could cause us a whole hell of a lot of trouble. Now I have a generator, and I need to run it approximately twenty minutes to get a good enough charge to set him up. Take this,” He handed Deci little syringes. “It’s morphine. It’ll keep him going until I can get this set up. He’s gonna get dehydrated before long, so watch it. Only give him half a syringe at a time though. We don’t want him hallucinating and running off on us.”

Deci nodded and looked at Rev who was on a cot set up in the middle of the room. She hoped this would work. She was amazed he had made it that far.

“Ivan, Banana, you two come with me. I know you like to shoot. I’ve got a Gatling gun on the roof of the building. Ivan can snipe, you take the Gatling Banana. Anyone else?” He looked around.

“I am gonna stay here with Deci.” Dean said. He didn’t want to leave her alone with Rev, he was afraid she couldn’t handle it, just incase something DID happen to him.

Norman looked at Rev and sighed. “He’s my friend, I don’t want to leave him… but I’ve got a job to do. Sign me up.” He looked at Pilot.

“Good, you can come with me to the Generator. Help me get it on and make sure nothing disrupts it. You’ll be okay won’t you?” he looked at Deci.

“Yeah I’ll be fine. Specially with Dean here.”

“Alright, we’ll be back.”

They left and Deci turned to Dean.

“He’ll make it.” Dean said.

“I don’t doubt that…”

“You don’t sound too sure.” He said.

“I am… well okay, I was. I don’t know. If this were happening during a normal time and place… he’d be in a hospital. He’d be free of infection… he’d be okay. What if I did this? You know, what if my crappy stitching or burning him set off an infection.”

“I don’t think so. We woulda known sooner. It’s been a few days now, we would have seen. And besides your stitching just happened tonight, there’s no infection. Pilot knows what he’s doing, he’s not just winging it, he was in the military. Everyone in the military has to know how to do this stuff. It’s basic training. And besides that guy knows everything.”

Deci nodded and looked at Rev whose forehead was wrinkled in pain.

“Should I give him some now?” She asked.

“They gave him some in the chopper.. But I don’t think it’d hurt. It won’t kill him or anything, just make him more … loopy than usual.”

Deci put the needle in his vein and pushed, only administering less than the half she was supposed to give him. That way for sure she wouldn’t mess it up.

Rev’s face relaxed a little and they could tell he was in a deeper sleep now.

Suddenly they heard a loud humming and knew the generator was on. It wouldn’t be long now before they heard the firing of the gun on the roof, and possibly Banana’s maniacal laughter.

They waited a good ten minutes, and just when they thought they were safe they heard rapid firing. No laughter could be heard over the sound.

“We have ten more minutes to go.” Dean said looking at his watch. “Then they’ll come back and everything will get set up.”

“I’m glad we came back here. I’m glad we met them. I’m actually just glad that they weren’t trying to kill us when we met them.”

“Me too.” Dean said.

Another ten minutes went by but the hum didn’t stop and the gun only stopped firing every few minutes for only a few minutes at a time. They knew in those times that Ivan could snipe what was there. The other times there were too many.

“What is taking them so long?” Deci asked getting up.

“Don’t go anywhere.” He said.

“I’m not, I wouldn’t leave Rev. Not even for..pie.”

Dean shrugged. “Well if it was a good fresh pie…no. No more leaving people Dean.” He said to himself. “But in all seriousness, it’s only been just twenty minutes. I’m sure that everything is fine.” He said.

“You think?”

“Relax everything is going to be fine.”

Another five minutes went by and the hum stopped. The gun continued firing for a few minutes after, and then silence.

“Where are they now?” Deci asked.

“You’re being paranoid now. Just relax.” Dean looked at her. “If you don’t I might be forced to give you a shot of that juice in the syringe.”

Deci looked down at her hand that had the needles and then put her arm behind her back and narrowed her eyes.

Dean smiled.

Soon Ivan and Banana walked through the door and not too long after Pilot and Norman.

“There weren’t that many out there, but Banana mowed down EVERYTHING that moved. I think someone should give her a pair of glasses.” Ivan said.

“HEY! I didn’t want to miss anything.” Banana said.

“Well, you did a good job. Everything out there that even so much as twitched got blown to shit. I didn’t think she was going to even give me a turn.” Ivan pretty much pouted.

“Cry baby.” Banana said and walked over by Deci.

“Uh uh.” Ivan said.

“I’ve got the machine.” Pilot said wheeling in a bulky looking thing with lots of buttons. “It’ll only last about four hours, then I’ll have to switch the battery. I was smart and charged another while waiting. Maybe we’ll be lucky and get more than that out of them, but I’m going to have to turn on the generator again. So be prepared.” He said to the four that had accompanied him before.

“Don’t worry I’m always ready.” Norman said.

There was a silence in which Pilot hooked Rev up and got him situated.

Suddenly Banana broke the silence.

“You know…that…was…BETTER THAN VIDEO GAMES!” Her fingers pointed upwards towards the sky and wiggled.

Everyone, including Pilot, stopped what they were doing and looked at her.

“The sound of the popping…and the bullets..the real life sound the gun makes…so intense…and … it was just…AWESOME!”

Everyone looked at each other and then back at her.

“I think maybe we need to keep Banana away from the heavy artillery.” Dean said.

“NO! This is the only thing I’m good at! Let me do it!” She still had a look of pure evil on her face.

“Okay…” Dean said backing away.

They continued their business as Banana started talking again about the guns to Deci. She understood Banana’s rants and didn’t really feel the need to back away until Banana’s face started looking like an evil anime character. Her eyes were wide and her eyes brows took on the evil eye brow form. Deci shook her head and told herself it was just the heat of the moment.

Pilot finally sighed with relief and then backed away from his work. The rest of the group walked over to the couch and chairs and sat down. They relaxed for the time being.

Two hours later….

Two hours had gone by, Rev had woken up. He was talking but he wasn’t saying too much. Pilot instructed him to save his strength.

Deci stayed by Rev’s side when he was awake, and when he was sleeping she spent her time talking to the guys and Banana just a few feet away on the couch.

Norman wanted to play go fish but no one wanted to, especially Banana and Dean.

“So what about poker?” He asked.

“No…” Everyone said.

“You do know that it’s possible to die of boredom just as quickly as it is to die by zombie bite, right?” Norman said leaning back on the couch.

“I believe that. Before this all happened I used to sit at my house, when I wasn’t working, and would go almost insane because I had nothing to do.” Dean said.

Banana looked at him and wondered momentarily if he really had been a welder. Rev had said he worked with someone he knew, but she wasn’t sure. He had lied about his zombie story. But she wouldn’t ask.

“Then you understand how I’m going nuts. Before it was like, I dunno, Pilot kept us busy. But now that you guys are here, I guess I’m just happy there are more people. Like a bigger family.” Norman said.

“I dunno about family, but we are a group of people living together.” Deci said.

“Yeah, well that works then don’t it?” Norman said.

“If you consider this to be family, then sure.” Dean laughed.

“A very messed up and dysfunctional family with a freak that loves pie way to much.” Banana said.

“Hey! Why do you always have to throw in an insult about me and pie?” He asked.

“Because it is so easy to. Plus it amuses me.” Banana smiled then sighed. “Although I am getting bored of it. An xbox would come in handy right now. Oh how I miss Dragon Age, Kingdom Hearts, and Call of Duty.”

“Whoa whoa whoa. Wait a second. Kingdom Hearts? What is that?” Dean asked.

“It’s a, um, a game for either ps2 or a psp. It has Disney characters in it and some Final Fantasy characters…” Deci said.

“You… play… Disney games?” Dean asked with a slightly disturbed face.

Banana blushed a little turned away so she couldn’t see them full on. “Is there something wrong with that? It’s a rather enjoyable game.”

“Sure…” Everyone but Deci said with skeptical eyes.

“Whatever. Forget I said anything.” A rather annoyed Banana said.

“What’s Dragon-” Ivan was cut off by Deci.

“A sickness.”

“God dammit. Every freakin time? Seriously?” Banana was now very angry. She then stormed out of the room.

“Sheesh. Whats her problem? She short tempered or what?” Norman asked glancing around at everyone.

“I’ll, uh, go after her?” Dean half asked, half said.

Somewhere there is a Banana…

She grumbled angrily. Even when there were real people roaming outside she got picked on for her taste in video games and how she would play them for long periods at a time. Banana wandered into an empty classroom. It was pretty dark but oh well. She sat down at the teacher’s desk.

“Banana?” She heard Dean not to far off. She didn’t respond to him.

“Banana, I know you’re in here.”

She still kept quiet, her eyes adjusting to the dark. She stared at the spot where Dean’s figure was.

“Okay, you don’t have to answer me. It’s okay. I just wanted to come and make sure you weren’t mad at us. Mostly me though. You can be mad at them. Just not me.”

He waited for her to respond or for even a chuckle, but there was nothing. She didn’t say a word.

“I wish it didn’t have to come to this, but… I have a secret to tell you.” He waited and when she still didn’t say anything he pressed on. “Ugh, and I swear… if you tell any one of those bastards back there, I will have to personally exploit you for … something I don’t know. But…” He took a deep breath. “I know how you feel when people make fun of you. I mean, we meant it in good fun, but I understand. I…I…” He cleared his throat. “I play with Pokemon cards.”

Banana’s face went from a scowl to complete shock and then she bit her lip not to laugh. She wanted to see if he’d go further.

“I… I know that sounds stupid… but… I um… No one ever looked in the glove compartment in my car… I … I would have denied it. Probably woulda said they were Rev’s. He’s a good guy, probably woulda said they were his too. Shit after him being shot and almost dying I’m pretty sure he would actually think they were his. But… I’m telling you because I don’t want you to think or feel bad about any of this.”

Banana couldn’t help it, she was about ready to explode with laughter, but she held on.

“It doesn’t stop at the cards either.” He said.

Banana’s face lit up. What more could he have hidden?

“This hasn’t happened in awhile… but… I used to .. play…Oh god, I can’t say it.” He sat down on a desk. “Why won’t you just, forgive me or something that way I don’t totally put myself out there?”

Banana didn’t want to, she wanted to know what could be worse than Pokemon cards.

“Fine.” He sighed. “I used to play…. World Of Warcraft.”

Banana grinned. “Me too. But not unhealthy levels of it. And… I have pokemon cards too.”

Dean grinned in to the darkness. “See we’re not so different after all.”

“Maybe not.” She laughed.

“It gets worse than that, but I won’t tell you that when I was ten I used to sneak in to my cousin’s room…when I stayed with my Aunt and Uncle… and I…Used..to..play … with her Ken dolls.”

Banana’s smile vanished. “You..what?”

“HEY! THEY ARE AS BAD ASS AS G.I. JOE!” He yelled.

“Um… on what level?”

“On the army level.” He said and let his voice trail off.

Banana started laughing and couldn’t stop. She put her head down on the desk and pounded it with her fist and kept laughing.

“Well, I’m putting myself out there and I’m glad you’re having a good time laughing at me.” Dean said and walked over to the desk and perched on top of it.

Banana continued laughing and didn’t stop.

“Hey, come on, they were KEN dolls. They weren’t Barbies.”

Banana laughed harder.

“Alright come on. You must have something as bad as that. See, doesn’t it make your video game and anime seem silly? Come on. One thing.” He prodded.

Banana caught her breath and then sighed. “Nope, not one thing.”

“Not one thing?” Dean asked. “Not ONE single? I find that hard to believe. Everyone must have something.”

“You believe that?” She asked.

“Yes.”

“Then what do you think Rev and Deci’s are?”

“Hey… I see what you’re doing here… but if I had to guess Rev used to sing to Spice Girls and Deci… Well, I’d have to let you take it on that one.”

Banana laughed. “Deci.. used to collect little horses. They were very tiny, and she would sit in her kitchen for hours..playing with them.”

Dean cracked up.

“I don’t know if Pilot would even have a thing… he doesn’t look the type. I bet he likes to take bubble baths.” Banana said.

They both cracked up.

When they stopped laughing a silence fell over them and they sat there until Dean broke it.

“So… just… to throw it out there, I never played with the dolls. The pokemon…cards… those are real. But, not the dolls.”

“Uh huh.” Banana said.

“No, really.”

She laughed.

“So are you still mad at me, or did you forgive me? It’s okay if you’re still mad at all of them, but not me. I made you laugh. I came after you.”

Banana thought about it. “I’m not mad at you. I was merely annoyed. But I’m over it.”

“Thank Jesus.” Dean said.

“What would it matter to you?”

“Um… That’s a dumb question don’t you think?”

“I fail to see how it’s a dumb question.” Banana said.

“Don’t make me go over this with you.” He groaned.

“I’m not making you do anything. But you should probably just tell me before I make something up in my head.”

“What would you make up?”

“I don’t know.”

“Then I guess I don’t have to tell you.”

“I’ll tell everyone you play with Pokemon. And dolls.”

“Okay fine. Of course I would care if you were angry with me or not! I… ugh, now who’s choking on words and emotions… errr.. Why don’t we just play go fish?”

Banana laughed at the subject change. “Whatever Dean. It’s not my fault you’re that scared.” Banana stood up. “I guess we can go back now.”

“Wait, wait. Banana…” Dean grabbed her arm. “Hold on.”

“Yes?” She raised an eyebrow and folded her arms.

“I don’t…Want you to be mad at me…because…”

“Uh huh?”

“I just don’t want you mad at me that’s why! Is it so hard to believe that I don’t want any one mad at me?” Dean asked.

Banana walked off laughing to herself and shaking her head.

Chill Room….

Norman and Ivan had taken watch. Pilot was in his normal position sitting out by the fences with a sniper rifle.

Deci was sitting next to Rev’s bedside talking to him. She had a pen and paper and was drawing something out. Rev was talking and explaining things and she would start to scribble as he talked.

Banana sat down on the couch and Dean sat next to her. They waited for Deci and Rev to notice they had actually came back.

“So were you two making out?” Rev’s voice came from the bed.

“Oh yeah. Tons of making out.” Dean said.

“Bullshit. If Banana said it I might believe it.” Rev said.

“I don’t know, she looks pretty guilty.” Deci said.

“Uh huh.” Banana said.

“So what did you two talk about while you were gone?” Rev asked taking the sketch pad from Deci and looked at it. He grabbed the pen from her and started sketching himself on what she had already done.

“Well we talked about you and how you always are trying to make us make out. We think you’re a pervert.” Dean said.

“Uh huh.” Rev said and smiled. “If I wanted to see porn, I wouldn’t imagine you two doing anything. I would in fact, just use my imagination.”

“Yeahh right. You think Dean’s sexy.” Banana said.

“Oh yeah. So dead sexy. I want him. But most of the time I can’t have him because you’re the one who’s always sneaking off and making out with him.” Rev said.

“Hey I believe a one point I have said that you could have him. I much rather deal with Deci. She isn’t annoying like him.” She said nonchalantly.

“Hey! I thought we had a good thing going?” Dean asked.

“Oh we do. I just am weary because there could be more pie lurking around the corner.” She smiled.

“I have vowed that I wouldn’t abandon anyone for pie again.”

“Well that’s all fine and dandy but you know what?”

“What?”

“I need my glasses.”

“Can you say random?” Rev asked.

“Well I’m kinda half blind here. I would like to see and not be blind for the rest of my probably not long life.”

“That’s negative don’t you think?” Dean asked looking at her.

“Well if the zombies don’t get me then traveling with you guys will. Every time we come in contact with someone, excluding Ivan, Norman, and Pilot, they try to kill us! How in the world could you find something positive in that?”

“Well… you have to enjoy the little things. Not let the other things get you down.”

“Did you just half quote Zombieland?”

“What’s Zombieland?”

“Dean… never mind.”

“No what?”

“Nothing. Now I think it is sleepy time for me. So could you please move so I can lay down?” She smiled overly sweet.

Dean grumbled but moved to another seat while Banana slid down on the couch.