Zombie 2.0 1/2

Clint Eastwood would survive.

Deci was laying on the roof with a blanket and some beers with Rev when Dean and Banana found them.

“Join the party, won’t you?” Rev asked as they took a seat next to him.

“Don’t mind if I do. I drink to save your life.” Dean said taking two beers from him. “You shouldn’t be drinking.”

“Way to kill the party Dad.” Rev retorted.

“Oh ha ha!” Dean gave him a dirty look then drank his beer.

“So what are you guys planning on doing?”

“Well we have one week left before Pilot thinks that we need to get going to the mountain. In that time Rev needs to heal completely. So really what can we do? Shoot on the range, let Rev heal, shoot some more, make some toys to take with us… And maybe get a fucking plan started.” Deci said.

“That does sound like a good idea.” Rev said.

“Well then maybe we’ll stick with that.” Banana said.

“So where’s Norman and Ivan?” Dean asked.

“They went to talk to Pilot. I think he’s getting ready to die honestly and this is the only thing he can do. I don’t know, I talked to him a little bit while Rev was in the bathroom.”

They fell silent and just stared up at the sky for a long time.

“You know what gets me?” Rev asked. “If we lived in space would this happen?”

“Who knows, we didn’t think it’d happen here. Why couldn’t it happen in space?”

“I guess it really depends on how you want to look at it. And how all this happened. Was it a disease? Was it something that just malfunctioned in someone’s brain? We don’t know, how can we answer that?” Banana asked.

“We can’t.” Rev said simply.

“Then I guess we’ll never know. Why do you always ask those types of questions?” Dean asked.

“Because my mind is used to thinking that way. Drugs and all.” He waved his hand.

“Drugs? How are you on drugs, are you on them right now?” Dean glanced at him.

“No, how would I be? We don’t ever come across any drugs. It’s just my mind being used to being so fucked up. And so I’m naturally that way.”

“You know maybe you should smoke some weed or something. That might help brighten you up a bit.” Deci said.

“Har, har.” Rev sighed. “No, I’m done with that stuff. I’m alright now, I just have a lot to focus on right now. Which is good, no. It’s really good.”

Deci pulled a blanket up around her and Rev managed to sneak in from a side. Banana was sitting next to Dean but she wasn’t letting on that it affected her any.

“Ever wonder if this could be our last night together?” Dean asked. “I mean, we are sitting here enjoying what time we do have that isn’t a hassle and we expect each other to be there in the morning. But what if we’re not?”

“You’re starting to sound like me.” Came a voice from behind them.

They turned to see Pilot standing there with Norman and Ivan.

“Only I plan on being here in the morning.” Dean responded without missing a beat. Ivan and Norman looked at each other with a twinge of pain on their face. Banana looked at him.

“Way to go.”

“Shut up.” Dean said lightly pushing her.

“Now there is no need of that. The boys have something to ask you. Boys?” Pilot said looking between Banana, Dean, Deci, and Rev.

“We, uh, would like to go with you, if that is okay?” Ivan asked while fidgeting around.

“Is that gonna be all of you or just you two?” Banana asked.

“Just us.” Norman said looking at the ground.

“I’m going to stay here and hold the fort.” Pilot said steadily.

“Alright.” Banana said cooly.

“Alright? Alright?! How can yo-“ Ivan started shouting at Banana but she cut him off”

“I can say it because it was his choice.” Banana looked out over the roof, then back at Pilot. “I assume that you made the choice and weren’t forced?”

Pilot laughed.

“No I wasn’t forced.”

Ivan just glared at the ground, obviously still bitter at the whole matter.

“How about we spend this last week like a family?” Pilot took a seat in a lawn chair Norman had been carrying. No one had noticed before, but Pilot looked older than they figured he was. He looked worn out.

“If you don’t mind, I’ll take one of those beers.” He said to Rev.

Rev shook his head and smiled and took him a beer, and even opened it for him. Something that when they first met him, they wouldn’t have pictured him letting anyone do anything of the sort for him. He could have taken the cap off with his eyebrows.

“So what sort of plan do you think you’ll be puttin’ together?” Pilot asked.

“Something like an old western.” Rev said. He was back under the blanket with Deci who was trying to light a cigar. She wasn’t having much success, she wasn’t the smoking type, but she figured if there was any time to bust out of the normal, it would be now. Zombies didn’t care if she smoked. Actually they probably preferred it since it would just slow her down and give them an actual chance at eating her.

“An old western?” Pilot was curious.

“Yeah, I don’t know, drive out there on our horse… shoot at some bad guys, win the west. Zombies don’t stand a chance against us. Anything goes. This isn’t the movies, you see those guys out there who are trying to kill us? You don’t see that on movies really because let’s face it, everyone in the movie wants to stay alive so they team up with whoever. But they forget to mention the bald, mustached men who want to use you for bait with the flesh addicts. Or do things to your women folk.”

Everyone laughed a little.

“So you think you can just ride in there with dumb luck like Clint Eastwood shit, and be alright?”

“Hey, who the HELL said something bad about Mr. Eastwood?” Dean seemed to of fallen asleep but was wide awake now.

“No one said anything bad about him, I’m just saying do you think that’s what is going to happen? You think you’ll be as good as him with just a little dumb luck?”

“I don’t need dumb luck. I have all the luck in the world, the only thing that I worry about is Banana and Dean sneakin’ off to make out.” Rev said.

“I swear to whatever is up there, or out there, if you bring that up again I will kill you.” Banana said.

“Oh relax, some day Banana. Some day. You shouldn’t fight it. Promise me in the light of my death you will admit your feelings.” Rev said.

“You aren’t going to die any time soon then, I’ll make sure I am watching you like a hawk.” Banana said.

“Oh please. I’ll go out right now and let someone take a bite out of my good shoulder…”

“Shut up.” Deci shoved him and he fell over, and remained laying down.

“Alright, so far we have a cowboy theory. What else? Please don’t tell me that was the only idea you meatheads have.” Pilot said.

“Well, we have an alright idea. It’s called plan out as we go along. I mean, we don’t know what’s up there. Those guys who tried to kill us could be up there. Or maybe something worse, what if the Sasquatch man has the disease, he would be some damn shit to run from.” Dean said.

“I don’t think that’s what you’ll have to worry about, more like Dean wandering off and attracting a bunch of dead bodies. Then of course we’ll have to get the hell out of there and leave pretty boy behind.” Norman said.

Everyone turned to him. He had been quiet up until that point.

“What? It’s true. I’d leave pretty boy behind.” He smiled.

“Pretty boy eh? That’s nice. Real nice.” Dean shook his head and leaned back. Banana stared at Norman for a little bit longer and then turned around to face the way she had been looking.

“Whatever happens just know that I wish you all well. I’m sorry I couldn’t be around much longer for it.”

Everyone fell silent again, Rev was humming something softly to himself and Ivan and Norman were staring up at the sky. Pilot was looking at his beer as though he was enjoying the best drink on earth and Banana and Dean were playing rock paper scissors.

The stars were starting to fade and a light was coming up in the East. Dawn was starting to make its presence known and everyone started yawning.

“We should get some sleep. We’ll take our time no rush. When we meet again later today, we’ll talk about getting your truck pimped out.” Pilot said.

Rev chuckled.

“What’s so funny?” Deci asked yawning.

“Pilot said ‘pimp’.” He chuckled even loud and then got up. They all went to their rooms and didn’t think about anything else until they were woken up hours later.