Zombie 2.0 1/2

Zombies aren’t even the menace here.

Deci walked for quite awhile down a dirt path before she found Dean sitting at the edge of a lake. He was unmoving but she knew he was aware she was there.

“It’s just me. I’m not a zombie.” She said walking closer. “I don’t want you to spin around and think I’m going to bite you and knock me out… sort of like I did to you not so long ago. Which I am sorry for by the way.”

Dean still didn’t say anything and Deci sat down in the sand next to him. She looked over at him.

“You know… I am not sure what happened. Care to fill me in?” She asked.

“No.” He mumbled. His voice was uneven.

“Alright. I can try to figure it out if you want. That’ll drag it out longer. So why not just tell me?” She asked.

“No.” He said again. His voice still uneven.

“Fine. I understand. Do you want to be left alone?”

He nodded.

Deci got up but as she looked over at him to try and protest she saw something that horrified her even more than the sight of a billion zombies. Dean had tears streaming down his face.

“Jesus Christ, are you alright?” She sat back down next to him.

“I’m fine.” He said. But between the two words he inhaled sharply.

“You aren’t. So fine don’t tell me what’s wrong, but what the hell? You’re crying! Something is obviously wrong here!”

“I’m fine! I swear.”

“You aren’t fine. What the hell is going on? I suggest someone tells me or I’m gonna start woopin’ ass!”

Dean smiled even though the tears didn’t stop.

“Seriously, tell me what’s going on.”

“F-fine. Sara told me she d-doesn’t have feelings for me. No big deal. But she just…she was just so… it was like… s-she lied to me. She lied and she could have just been honest. But she really doesn’t feel a damn thing. I’ve been so…stupid all t-this time.”

Deci shook her head. Something didn’t smell right with the fruit. “All the times we have ever talked about you, and please don’t tell her I told you this, she really liked you. She didn’t want to admit it for a long time but finally she just gave in. It was sort of a really long process to get her to admit it, and she still hasn’t really come out and said it, but I know it. I know her. Way better than she thinks. And she’s always liked you. I don’t understand why all the sudden she just out and told you she didn’t like you. Are you sure she was serious or was she just being herself?”

“She was serious.” He said shaking his head yes. “I don’t think I’ve ever s-seen her that serious before.”

Dean was shivering even though the night was still warm.

“I don’t understand though. And usually I do understand. Well, fuck are you alright?” She asked.

“I’ll be fine Dec.” He smiled at her but it was labored. She didn’t believe him.

“I’m sorry she did that. I have no idea what’s gotten in to her. I mean I know that the whole emotion thing was just a joke, even though it’s true. And she doesn’t like emotions, but this is harsh for even her.”

“It doesn’t matter it’s okay. I’ll be okay.” His voice betrayed him as much as the tears that still were running down his face, simply slower.

“It does matter. I mean you and I… we are no you and Banana, but I still really feel like I need to do something here. And I don’t know what exactly. But I am sorry. This just doesn’t make sense.”

“I am just glad she was honest with me is all.”

“I don’t think she was Dean.” Deci stood there for a minute and Dean sniffled every few minutes. Finally Deci walked over to him and put her arms around him and hugged him. He cried even more.

“This is super weird for me. But I am here for you.”

Dean laughed a heartfelt laugh and back up from her.

“You’ll be alright. And I’ll get to the bottom of this.”

“Thanks. But you don’t have to. I don’t want to make this any harder or me any stupider looking than it’s all came out to be so far.”

“Don’t worry. We’ll figure it out.” Deci smiled at him and patted his shoulder.

Dean gave her one more hug and just as she was going to pull away Deans grip on her tightened.

“Dean..what the hell, I can’t breathe.”

“Shhh Deci.”

“What is it?” The hairs on her neck stood up.

“There are at least five zombies scattered around in this fog. I can see them when I don’t look directly at them.

“Are you sure?” She whispered.

“Yes I’m sure, I can see one right now. He’s moving very slowly.”

“Oh my God, we are out here alone. No one knows where we are and how would they come get us?”

“Don’t worry. Take my hand slowly.” He said.

Deci did as she was told and then Dean slowly turned facing the other direction.

“I can get us out of here, I can see pretty good, even if you can’t just follow me okay?” Dean whispered to her.

“Alright, fine.”

“Go now!” Dean took off running surprising Deci and nearly dragging her on her face. She quickly got her balance and started running behind him.

“Oh shit!” She yelled.

“What?!” Dean yelled back.

“THEY RUN!” She screamed.

Dean didn’t waste any time and pulled Deci even harder.

“We won’t make it to the cave!” Deci yelled.

“Okay we’ll do it a different way!”

Dean was headed straight for a tree. He was pulling Deci up the tree before she could tell him that she couldn’t climb. Up in to the branches they went and then Dean went further and turned around to help her up. The zombies all crowded down at the bottom of the tree, moaning and angrily gurgling.

“What the fuck! WHAT THE FUCK!” Deci was yelling.

“Well I guess the zombies that we weren’t afraid of just ended up getting a little more scary!” Dean yelled. His voice was strained.

“What are we gonna do, I don’t think they can hear us!” Deci exclaimed.

“Yell as loud as you can. Singe, do something, ANYTHING!” Dean yelled.

“HEY!” They yelled together as loud as they could.

“HEY!”

Do you hear that? The wind kind of sounds like Journey…

“Guys, I know I’m getting old and such but… do any of you hear that?” Pilot asked suddenly back at the cave.

Rev and Banana had been talking about something and they paused to listen.

“It sounds like…. What is that? I know that….” Norman tilted his head sideways.

“I know that tune too… what is it? Kansas…no…” Ivan was straining.

“That’s Journey!” Banana yelled.

“What song! QUICK!” Rev stood up.

“I think…. Any Way You Want It.” Pilot said.

“They are in trouble!” Rev yelled and then bolted to his bag that laid on the floor.

“They are in trouble?”

“Yes, they are! And you’ll know for sure if you hear ‘You Really Got Me Now’.”

“Then I suggest we hurry, I think I hear Dean singing ‘ please, don’t ever let me be, I only wanna be by your side’.” Norman looked back.

“GO NOW!” Rev yelled.

Tarzan is a lying bitch….

“Do you think they’ll actually hear us?” Dean asked after awhile when no one showed up.

“I don’t know if they will or not, I just think we should keep trying I can’t stay up here all night!”

Rain started to pour down and to make matters worse thunder sounded in the distance.

“I don’t like the looks of our odds Dean.” Deci said loud enough for him to hear.

“I don’t either Dec. I’m sorry. I should of just been a little bit more of a man about all this and stayed back in the cave.”

“No everyone is entitled to break down eventually, after all this is a zombie break out. What do you think would happen after so long you know? But now… This isn’t how I thought I’d go out man.”

“Me either.” Dean said.

“Great. So we die like this? REV! BANANA!” She yelled.

But there was no answer.

Ever hear of the Reverend Bartholomew?

“I hear them.” Rev said to Banana who was wearing a pair of night vision goggles. She was looking in the direction he was now pointing.

“I see them. Six o’clock.” Norman said.

“What the fuck are we gonna do?” Rev asked.

“I don’t really have a plan. They are just going to have to run for it and we can cover them as best we can.” Pilot said.

“I don’t think that’ll work, then we’ll all die.” Banana said.

“Well what do you suggest then? Leave them there?”

There was a moment of silence in which Banana was afraid people would think she actually considered it. She didn’t but she had been trying to think of a better idea.

“You have some juice left in the chopper right?”

“Yes.”

“So we get to the chopper and then we get to them.”

“It’s worth a shot.” Pilot said and rolled out. He made his way to the chopper.

Everyone else followed.

I thought you said go, not ‘no’.

Dean was now hanging on to Deci’s arm and trying to be hopeful but he didn’t believe anyone had heard them.

The zombies at their feet were growling and trying to reach up and snag their feet, but they stayed just out of grabbing distance.

“I wish that I had remembered a whistle or something… At least we followed one rule, ‘never go off alone’. I have you to die with. Woo.” Deci was getting cranky.

“I’m sorry Deci that it has to be me. I mean wouldn’t you rather die with that other rotten fruit? Mush face-anana.”

“Oh come on. You know that you care about her. Don’t try to cover it up now, I’ve seen you cry Dean. We can’t ever go back to what it was before.”

“But you won’t tell anyone right?”

“Of course I won’t. Not until you really piss me off.” She grinned.

“Good, then that means we have a future. So let’s hope they can hear us.”

But before they could yell again they heard a familiar old thud and they hugged each other and yelled in excitement.

A spot light started searching for the tree that they were in and once again the old bird came to their rescue.