Zombie 2.0 1/2

A life in a new era.

Rev woke up a little bit later to pace around the cave. He thought no one was awake but then Banana opened her eyes and sat up.

“What are you doing up?” Banana asked. “You should be getting sleep since the first sign of light and we’re out of here.”

“I know, but I can’t sleep. I just keep thinking what woulda happened if we hadn’t gotten to Dean and Deci in time.”

Banana sighed. “You shouldn’t think about that. It didn’t happen. Everything is good.”

“I don’t like how close it was to not being good though.” He said sighing and running his hands through his slightly longer than what they started out hair.

“I know.”

“So did you tell Dean?”

“Tell him what?”

“You know, that you loved him and all that stuff? I figure given the good scene we went through earlier that you would of told him the truth.”

“Why does everyone think there’s a truth?”

“Because we’re not wrong.”

“Fine, I did a little but like I told him there is no reason for us to do anything about it. Right now we all need to focus and worry on the infestation of people out there who are ready to eat us with a little ketchup.”

“I don’t think they’d even use ketchup the gross bastards.”

“Hrm.” Banana stood up and walked over to the mouth of the cave and looked it. It was still raining and she could smell smoke from the fire.

“We don’t have a way out of here. The chopper is out of juice and there are zombies and fire everywhere. I think we’re in hell.”

“I don’t think we ever were any where other than.”

Rev nodded. It was true.

“So… are you going to admit to Deci all your crap since she did almost die too?” Banana asked.

“What do you mean? I’ve already admitted how I feel.”

“I don’t think you have been honest Revered.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Sure you made it seem like you liked her, but have you been honest with her?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You do too.”

“….. So… ever wonder why we’re here?” He asked looking up at the ceiling.

Banana sighed heavily. “If you can give me crap about the Dean thing, then I can give you the crap back.”

“And I will say the same thing you said… no time.”

“Since when? You’re the one who wanted me and Dean to get together so you could marry her.”

“That was a joke.”

Banana turned and gave him a glare.

“FIIIINE. Mom. Jeez.” He threw his arms in the air. “No I haven’t said anything and I don’t plan on it.”

“Why not? You’re always bugging me about it.”

“Because… what if I get attached to her… and she ends up like my wife…”

“And you expect me to have the answer when that’s what I’ve been saying all along and no one will listen?”

“Okay almighty knowing Banana.”

They stood in silence for a long moment and then Rev turned his attention to where Deci was sleeping.

“I shouldn’t say anything.”

“Why not? You’re a lot different than me Rev. You don’t actually believe that you shouldn’t waste your time. You want to waste your time. Even though you’re afraid.”

“You do too.”

“No, I wouldn’t mind being with Dean but I know better. You don’t care that there is a reason you shouldn’t.”

“True.”

“So then I don’t know why you’re being such a chicken shit.”

“I’m not.” He said defensively.

“Then go over there, wake her up, and say what you wanna say to her. I had to do it.”

Rev grumbled. “Maybe later.”

“Or maybe there won’t be a later.”

As much as Rev hated admitting that Banana was right and had totally walked circles around him in conversation, he knew that she was in fact right.

“I can’t wake her up. She needs her sleep after what happened.”

“Fine don’t do it now but you are better off doing it sooner than later.”

Rev nodded and then looked back out the mouth of the cave.

Deci, who Rev didn’t want to disturb, actually got up after and made her way very slowly to where they were.

“What are you guys doing up? Shouldn’t you be getting sleep for our grand escape?”

“I was sleeping until he started pacing and making me nervous.” Banana said. “I’m going to get back to sleep.” She said and walked off.

Deci looked at Rev and he glanced back at her.

“So what were you and Ms. Sunshine talking about?” Deci asked after a minute.

“Nothing.” He said.

“Really? Seemed pretty intense to me.”

“Uh… not really no. I was just talking to her about her Dean issue.”

Deci nodded.

“Alright.”

“I can’t really tell you. It’s a secret.”

“Okay.”

“I promised.”

“Alright.”

“Come on, I told her I wouldn’t say.”

“Alright….”

“Fine, you twisted my arm enough… She finally told Dean she likes him.”

Deci turned her head to where Banana was now laying. It was no where near Dean.

“Doesn’t look like much has changed.”

“It hasn’t. Because even though she admitted it she still wont’ do anything about it. She says that she doesn’t want to because there is no time or room for us to all get feelings for eachother.. blah blah, typical person who wants to deny it because they’re scared of what might happen.”

Deci laughed. “Yeah… I dunno that could have a slight amount to do with it, but mostly she really means what she says.”

“And you mean to tell me she wouldn’t get with Dean if things weren’t different?”

“You have to stop and realize that things would be way different if there weren’t zombies. We wouldn’t know you two. You’d be married still, he’d have his girlfriend…and you know…families included.”

Rev looked at her. “So what you’re saying is, we wouldn’t want anything to do with you if there weren’t zombies?”

“Um, yeah I think that’s what I’m saying. You were married, he had other obligations… why would you leave that for us? You wouldn’t and you know it. You know the only reason that you feel this way is because we’re the only girls around.”

“Are you speaking for both you and Banana or just you, cuz it seems like to me that you are hinting around that I’m shallow.”

“What? No, ugh you’re worse than a woman. I’m not saying that you’re shallow I’m saying, without the zombies we wouldn’t even know each other. Banana is just going on how she’d feel if there weren’t any zombies.”

“She said there was no time because of the zombies.. so ..”

“Why are you being such a jackass?” She asked.

“I’m not.” He said taken aback.

“Well you seem it to me. You seem pretty grumpy. I’m not saying you’re shallow, but be honest if your wife was still alive you wouldn’t be looking at me.”

“No. I wouldn’t be. Cuz I’d have my wife, but I don’t have my wife. I don’t she’s dead Deci… so what the fuck do you want me to do? Tell you that because of that I don’t want to be interested in you?”

“No… why are you making things up and in to something they don’t even need to be?”

“I’m not, I’m just saying… if my wife was here yes I’d be with her, but that is the only reason I wouldn’t be with you and you’re making it seem like that’s not the only reason.”

“I think we’ve been over this before…”

“No, let’s go over it now.”

“Guys, do you mind keeping it down?” Norman asked from the corner. “I know you need to work things out but do it in whispers.”

Deci sighed. “We don’t have anything to work out.” And she walked back over to where she had been sleeping.

Rev followed her.

“Yes we do.” Rev half whisper yelled.

“I don’t think we do sir. I think everything was just covered. Now, I am going to go to bed because we have to leave soon. I just went through a traumatic experience so now go away.” She laid down and pulled the covers over her head.

Rev ripped the blanket off Deci’s head.

“No. We do need to talk. I do want YOU. Yeah it is true that you and Banana are the only girls that we have come across but that doesn’t mean anything. Nothing at all. My wife died. Do you expect me to dwell on it forever? I still have an amount of love for her but its unhealthy to be in that dark of place for long periods of time.”

“I am taking up Banana’s philosophy for now. Good day sir.” Deci turned over.

“Goddamnit. Whatever.” Rev got up and sat at the mouth of the cave.