Zombie 2.0 1/2

Camp for the night.

When darkness started to settle in again they had made it to what appeared to be a camp ground. There were no indications of anyone being near but even with no proof Pilot didn’t want to take the chance of leaving the vehicles un attended for.

“They could be hiding or sneaking around lurking out there. You never know it’s not safe to leave all your important possesions out there for anyone to find and take.” Pilot said.

“So we’re going to sleep in the wheeler. You four can sleep in the back of your truck or with us, but at least one person should be with your truck. You don’t want someone to sneak in there and take off with it.” He said.

Dean nodded and looked at Banana. “I think maybe we should take shifts. Who ever is on the shift should sit in the back of the truck, those who are getting sleep should sleep in the back of the wheeler.”

“Sounds about right.” Banana said. “Well who wants to take first shift?”

“We will.” Deci said looking at Rev. “I think maybe it’d be best.”

“You think it’s for the best?” Rev asked. “Did you hit your head?”

She raised an eye brow. “No, I just think that since you wanted to finish our conversation so badly earlier, maybe we should do it.”

Dean looked at Banana. “Alright then, we’ll see you in four hours.”

When the others all made themselves comfy with the wheeler, Pilot and his boys inside the cab and Dean and Banana on the small back of it, Rev and Deci hopped in the back with a blanket and their guns.

Rev turned and looked at her. “So you wanted to talk?”

“Actually, Dean said that you were coming to find me earlier… I was kind of wondering what for.”

He heaved a huge sigh. “I was coming to apologize for everything. I don’t really wanna fight with the only friends I might have for the rest of my life.”

“Oh.” She said sounding a little dissapointed.

“Why? What did you think I was going to say?”

“I don’t know.”

“Did you have something in particular on your mind?”

“Not really no. I was just wondering why you were coming to find me. That’s all.”

Rev stared at the floor of the bed for a long time before he finally looked back at Deci.

“Is everything okay?” She asked.

“Yeah…”

“Okay.”

They both knew what the other wanted to say however when it came to saying it, it wasn’t like the movies. No one could just spill their guts and say how they felt, it was much more complicated then that.

Meanwhile Banana and Dean were laying sleeping bags down on the back of the small bed of the eighteen wheeler.

“What do you think they’re talking about?” Dean asked as he made himself comfortable.

“I’d say the same thing they’re always talking about.”

“Do you think they’re ever gonna get together?” He asked when Banana had made herself comfy as well.

“How would I know? I’m not the writer of this play.”

“Why are you always so sarcastic?”

“That’s pretty much one of my biggest character tributes.” She said.

“Ah. Well, while I find it humorous when you do it to other people I find it no so funny when you do it to me.”

“I’m not gonna treat you any different then I do Deci or Rev. Specially if I treat Deci that way, I’ve known her for a lot of years and I still am not fully nice to her. There are times…”

“So when are there going to be times when you’re nice to me? Since, you know, gotta treat everyone the same and all.”

Banana glanced over at him and realized he was staring at her with his green eyes. She sighed.

“I’m nice to you more than you know. You just don’t see it because you haven’t known me for as long as Deci has. I know that I have sometimes been a little…unreasonable… but that doesn’t mean anything out of the ordinary.”

“So why can’t you be even nicer? Just for once. I won’t tell anyone I swear.”

“OH like I believe that.”

“I promise. You have my word.”

“You’re getting all excited like I agreed to this.”

“That’s because you did. Remember? Awhile back…when you know you pretty much came out and said ‘I love you Dean, you’re the sexiest guy I have ever met’… you know… that time?”

Banana laughed so loud that Dean had to cover her mouth.

“That’s not that funny.” He said.

She shook her head up and down.

“Nuh uh.”

She shook her head again.

“NUH UH!”

It was Banana’s turn to cover his mouth. They sat there for a moment looking sort of odd holding their hands over each other’s mouths until finally Dean yelped.

“You licked my HAND!”

“Well if you would have moved it from my-URRRRRGGG.” Before she could finish her sentence Dean had grabbed her hand and lickd it.

“This is gross. You know that right? Worse than kissing.”

“I’d rather do this than kissing.”

“Oh so you’re saying you’d rather lick my hand then kiss me? What kind of freak are you?”

“I! AM! NOT!” she was laughing.

From the distance Rev’s voice cut through the almost silent night. “You guys want the running insanely intense zombies after us just because you two can’t stop flirting and being all over eachother?”

“Shut up Rev!” Everyone said together, including the guys in the wheeler and Deci.

“Oh I see how it is.” He yelled, then things went quiet.

As everyone started to settle down Deci and Rev put on their game faces.

“I really hope there aren’t any running zombies.” Deci said.

“Me too.” He agreed.

“What do you think would happen if they just busted out of no where? Do you think we’re really prepared for all this? I mean really?”

“Haven’t we been over this before?” He asked looking at her.

When Deci looked over at him to reply she noticed something. The way he was looking at her made her stomach flop. For once she could see what everyone else was talking about. Until then she had just figured she was the only girl available, since it was known Banana and Dean had a thing any how, but the more she thought about it the more she realized that maybe there were real feelings there.

“Are you okay? You just spaced out a little.”

“Oh, yeah. Sorry just thinking.”

“Don’t worry. Even if everything gets crazy I’ve got your back homie.” He patted her shoulder with his hand.

“Thanks. I feel safer.” She joked. But in all reality she really did.

They fell silent for a little while and Deci leaned all the way back on the truck. Rev got up and took a leak then came back and sat down. As darkness settled in Deci shivered.

“Here.” Rev shoved the blanket at her.

“I’m fine.” She said.

“No you’re not, you’re shivering all over the place and making the truck shake. Take the blanket or people are gonna think we’re doing something else over here besides keeping an eye out.”

She gave him a doubtful look and took the blanket. She covered up with it but kept her gun close by her side.

Rev opened his mouth like he was about to say something then shut it and cleared his throat.

“What?” She asked.

“Oh nothing.”

“No, what? What were you gonna say?”

He opened his mouth but once again just closed it and shook his head.

“Jimmy.”

“Oh come on, I don’t call you by your real name.” He said.

“I only use it when I need to get serious, remember?”

“Fine…” He turned to her, then turned back and did so a few times appearing to try to make himself more comfortable as though it would help him say what he needed to say.

“Jeez, must be important if you can’t just spit it out.”

He smiled weakly then shook his head. “I have something to tell you… and I’m just not sure how to say it is all.”

“Oh…shit.. are you pregnant?”

He sighed. “No.”

“Sorry, must really be important then eh?”

“A little.. Um… I know we haven’t known eachother for very long and … all this stuff is straight out of a … I don’t know I can’t say movie or book cuz I’ve never seen one like this…but.. I just want you to know that I lo-.”

“Shhh!” Deci grabbed his arm and pulled him to her and covered his mouth.

He looked at her.

“No… not cuz of whatever you were gonna say. Look.” She nodded her head to the left.

A zombie was wandering aimlessly around in the woods. He would walk into a tree then back up, stare at it and do it all over again.

“What the hell is he doing?” Rev whispered.

“I don’t know… he looks..stoned.” She whispered back.

They watched him for a few more seconds then suddenly he just fell over.

“What the fuck…” They said together.

“He can’t be the only one..” Deci said grabbing her gun. She stood up and jumped over the side of the truck and Rev grabbed his gun and did the same. They slowly made their way to the spot the zombie had collapsed.

When they saw the body it was shriveled and grey looking, the eyes were staring blankly in to the sky.

“What… the hell?” Deci asked. She looked around and found a long stick and grabbed it, returning to the zombie and then poked it. It didn’t move.

“I don’t know.. it looks pretty dead to me, but with no help from anyone.. I don’t think at least..”

“We need to go tell the others, they need to keep their eyes open.. I don’t like the way this looks. Why would it just keel over?”

“It looks…starved. Maybe it just wandered all the way out here and couldn’t find anyone to munch on.”

“Eh, maybe. Would it look like that if that were the case?” She asked.

“I don’t want to stick around to find out. Come on let’s-.” But again she was cut off by the sight of another zombie wandering around. “I don’t like this, we need to get the fuck back to the truck.”

“I doubt this means the whole thing is over.” Rev said as they walked back to the truck.

“No, I think it means the opposite actually.”

They watched the other zombie as it fell to the ground and Deci decided she had seen enough. She grabbed Rev’s hand and they walked back to the wheeler where Dean and Banana were mumbling to each other about something she couldn’t hear.

“Guys!” She whispered loudly.

Banana and Dean sat up and looked down at her.

“What’s wrong?” Banana asked.

“There’s something really fucked up going on here. You need to grab your guns and wake up the others and then come with us. We need you to see something.”

After everyone was woken up and prepared Deci and Rev showed them the zombies that were laying on the ground.

“I’ve never seen anything like it.” Norman said.

“Of course you haven’t, have you ever seen anything like zombies in general till now? Anything that happens is going to be new to us. We don’t know if the movies were right, or we don’t know how this is gonna go in real life.” Dean said.

“Well this sure as shit aint in no movies I’ve ever seen.” He said.

Dean opened his mouth to say something but then Banana nudged him to keep quiet.

“I can’t tell you what this means. It looks like he’s starved to death.” Pilot said. “I suppose that could happen we haven’t ran in to anyone out here… Maybe they just got lost?”

“That’s what we were thinking, but then again…” Deci dissapeared and went to the truck. She grabbed the papers that she had found in the building they had raided and read over them. “It doesn’t say anything really here, except this one page.” She gave it to Pilot.

“Whoever wrote this wrote ‘I don’t know what’s going on but the zeds are becoming slower and slower, even the fast ones. They look like.. and then it stops.”

“Maybe they were going to say ‘starved’?” Norman asked.

“Could be but we have no for sure way of knowing.”

“Yes we do.” Deci said.

They all turned to her.

“We can go back and find the person who wrote this.”

“I thought you said you wanted to get out of there? Why would you wanna go back?” Dean asked.

“Because we don’t have any other choice. Look at what this person knows right now. They’re getting faster and smarter… that person obviously has run in to all this before and we haven’t. They know what’s going on and the least we could do is go check and see if that person is still alive.”

“And you forgot one thing, willing to help us.”

“Two things, and not kill us.” Banana added to Dean’s statement.

“I know it’s a long shot but I’d much rather go find out if we can learn anything instead of just go on a whim. We are big in numbers there couldn’t of been too many people staying there I could hardly tell that anyone was there at all.”

“So are you saying we all go back? It’d be kind of hard to do since all we have is a wheeler.” Norman said.

“We’ll go. The four of us.” Dean said.

“I thought you needed numbers?” Ivan asked.

“There’s four of us, what could go wrong? We’re professionals.”

Pilot sighed. “Take what you can just in case. If you’re not back in an hour and a half, we’re coming to find you.”

“Aye aye captain.” Dean said.

The original four climbed in to the s10, Rev and Dean on back and Banana and Deci up front (Orders from the guys) and headed off to find the mystery zombie guru.