Zombie 2.0 1/2

Who said you can’t go home?

Dean and Banana were loading the truck with everything they could. They didn’t want to take the wheeler for fear of it attracting too much attention. So what weaponry and supplies they could fit in to the back of the tiny s10 was what they had to survive with.

“Guys..” Deci’s voice was worn out and frantic. “We found Norman, he’s dead.”

“Norman’s dead?” Banana’s voice wavered a little. “Great so…you know. Everyone else is dead.”

“We asked him where Ivan was but he didn’t get the chance to tell us before he died.”

“So Pilot and Norman are dead and Ivan is on the loose out there somewhere? You can pretty much bet he didn’t make it either.” Dean said tossing a large bag on the back of the truck.

“And not to mention there are zombies in the woods, ones that aren’t doing the ‘dumb thing’. They must’ve gotten split up judging by where the bodies were. Pilot was way up here and Norman was way down there, he musta ran when Pilot went down.” Deci said. She immediately helped pick up the slack and when everything was ready to go she hopped on back with Rev while Banana and Dean got in the truck.

It was funny how when they discovered the truck no one wanted to drive it because it was so small. The size however now didn’t matter, their lives were more important.

They made it to a main road and Deci got an uneasy feeling. “What about the guy who we met? He said he wanted to be left alone didn’t he? But does he really? Maybe we should-.”
“Since when did you turn soft? It’s just a guy who seems to be doing just damn fine on his own. We got what info we needed didn’t we?” Rev asked. He was looking at his gun to make sure everything was working correctly.

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean that he wasn’t lying and wanted us to come back for him.”

“I don’t think we can go back for him. Chances are he’s long gone by now with his friends or something.”

“Maybe he didn’t have friends.”

“Deci? Relax. You knew the guy for all of twenty minutes, he told us some shit we needed to know and that’s it. He didn’t wanna come with us if he did he would have.”

They drove a little way down the road when suddenly Banana stuck her head out the back window. “Person walking two o’clock.”

Rev turned and aimed his gun. Deci ducked down in between some things so that she’d remain hidden incase something went wrong.

“Ivan?” Came Banana’s voice from inside.

The truck stopped and Deci poked her head up.

“Thank God.” Ivan’s strained voice came from over the side of the truck bed.

“What happened to you guys? We found Pilot and Norman…” Rev said. “Norman was still barely alive when we got to him. We asked him what happened but he didn’t get to tell us before he died.”

“Zombies came from now where in the bushes. Ones that weren’t stumbling or disoriented. They knew what they were doing, and we were caught off guard. We thought they were you coming back so we went in to the woods to make sure you guys weren’t hurt.”

“You look like you’re pretty banged up. How’d you get away?” Dean asked.

“When Norman went down, I had no choice. While they were attacking him I made my get away. I figured the road would be safest, I could see around me. I hoped you guys were coming back so you could find me.”

“Get in here, there’s too much weight on back.” Banana said moving over to the middle. Of course inside the truck was tinier than the back and the room they had to move around in became suffocatingly small. But it was worth it for them to get out of there.

“Where do we go now? What do we do?” Ivan seemed to be a little more freaked out now that he was safe and could have a breakdown.

“From what we learned the zombies are making cocoon’s and crossing over to super zombies. Which is what we thought might have happened to you. Though not all of them are doing it right now I don’t think. We saw a few of them down in the woods when we went by the river and saw Norman. They weren’t doing anything weird but that doesn’t mean that they won’t be by the time that we find a place to stay.” Rev explained to Ivan through the back window.

“Cocoons? What are you talking about? That’s something out of a bad science fiction movie.” Ivan wiped blood from his face, but Deci noticed other than that he didn’t look very roughed up. She bit her lip at saying anything though to Rev, he would just be paranoid that Ivan was some how behind all of it.

“I don’t know but the guy we went back and talked to, the one who wrote all the stuff that I read, he said that things were happening like that. You didn’t expect hollywood to explain everything in movies did you? Or books? How would we know anything about something that hadn’t happened yet. We could only guess.” Deci said.

“Right. So what about this guy? He didn’t want to come with you or anything?” Ivan looked out the back window at Deci and Rev.

Rev wore a scowl, but she was sure that it wasn’t because he was actually angry with anyone it was mostly because things had been cut off before they had a chance to talk. It always happened that way but it seemed that their luck was running shorter and shorter.

“He said he didn’t trust anyone. He told us what we wanted to know so we wouldn’t stay with him. He is a loner. Which I don’t blame him, it’s easier to take care of yourself then having anyone else to take care of.” Banana said.

“He really wanted to be left alone like that? And for someone who doesn’t trust anyone he shared what he knew with you? Just so you’d leave him alone? Don’t you think that’s a little strange?”

“Yeah… maybe a little, but then again I’d be alone if I could. I think I would have been alone all this time if it wasn’t for finding these guys.” Dean said throwing his head in the direction of the others.

“That’s not smart.” Ivan said.

“Well as smart as it’s not, im beginning to wonder if we shouldn’t go back and ask him if we can stay with him for the night.” Deci said.

“What?” Dean, who had been driving at ten miles an hour, stopped the truck. “Do you think that’s smart? I mean yeah he helped us out, so we think, but he made it clear he didn’t want us there.”

“I don’t care. He can’t refuse if we trade him some stuff. We have more than what we can handle anyway.” Deci argued.

“Yeah…but the guy doesn’t seem right in the head. Maybe we should just keep moving.” Ivan said.

“You remember what he said about them too don’t you?” Rev said in a whisper to Deci.

She looked a him. “Yeah. He said he didn’t trust them. So what though? How would he know who to trust? He doesn’t want to trust anyone.”

“Okay, for one I am sick of repeating conversation and statements around here. Yeah he doesn’t trust anyone, and we shouldn’t just trust anyone but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t find a level of both of those things in there somewhere. If we just go back I know that I could convince him to let us stay until tomorrow morning. That’s all we need. Just until daylight. And then we can figure out what we’re gonna do, but it makes it hard since we can’t see in the dark.”

Rev thought for a moment about what she said then shrugged. “Whatever. But if he starts to get a little weird then I’m done and I’m sleeping in the truck. I don’t care about zombies any more this is all getting out of hand.”

“You think?” Deci asked.

“Sometimes. Sometimes my brain just shuts off and I’m left with a stupid expression on my face.”

Deci wanted to laugh but she wasn’t sure that she could. She wasn’t bothered at first by finding both of the bodies of two men she had grown used to and actually started to care for, but now that everything was sinking in and she remember the gurlging sounds Norman was making she started to feel a bit ill.

“Alright. I’ll tell Dean, but you owe me one.” Rev stuck his head inside once more and after a few shouts from him and Banana they finally figured that the only thing left to do was to ask the mystery man for his help, even if he didn’t want to give it to them.