Zombie 2.0 1/2

What.the.hell.

Deci was torn between being absolutely quiet and loud. She didn’t want to attract the zombies but she didn’t want to sneak up on the mystery man. It wouldn’t do her any good to get shot and just prove to the others that she shouldn’t have gone off on her own.

“Hello?” She asked as she stepped in to the building. “Mystery guy?”

Suddenly she was pushed up against the wall and a gun to her temple.

“What are you doing here?” Mystery man’s voice hissed at her.

“I’m here to talk to you. Can you move the gun?” She asked.

“I don’t think so. I told you to get lost while you were here before why’d you come back?” His voice was strained.

“Because I need a favor. We do, me and my friends from before.”

“Just you? And them? What about the others?”

“Ivan is still alive, but he wont-.”

“Shut up. Shut up!”

“I know you hate him, I’m not sure why but you do. I get that but we really need a place to stay so all of us can get sleep and rest up. We can’t do that anywhere else.”

“You could just sit in a tree.” He offered. “You’re not my problem. Why did you come back” He groaned the last part and threw his free hand in the air.

“Is there a reason you don’t want us here? I mean, other than you being really for solo missions.”

He hesitated. “I don’t have to tell you anything. What makes you think you could march in here and I’d tell you anything?”

“I don’t think that. And I’m not asking you to join us or even talk to us. I’m just asking if we can stay here for the night. Two of our friends are dead and-.”

“Not all of your friends are dead. Just a few of them, you should be thankful.”

“I am thankful. You’re missing my point. Its just for tonight.”

“I told you. You’re not my problem.” He stressed.

“I’m sorry. I know I’m not. None of us are. We don’t want you to watch out for us, we just want to sleep here.”

“You being here makes me responsible for you.”

“How? And can you put the gun down? I’m not going to try anything.”

“I’m not worried about you.” He took the gun away and put it in the side of his pants. “I just don’t trust people. I trust the zombies more than I trust the living.”

“Why?”

“Are you asking me to tell you details about my life? I hate to disappoint you but I’m not going in to details. Just know that because of someone else my entire life has changed.”

“I think all of our lives have changed.” Deci said watching him pace back and forth with his hand resting lightly on his gun at his side.

“Sure they did. I’m not saying they didn’t.”

“I don’t know what happened to you…and I don’t want you to think that I’m just using you to keep us safe so you can become the bait… I just simply need a place for us to stay until we can get out of here and on our own. I promise, I swear on anything you’d like, we won’t come back after this.”

“I don’t know. It’s against everything I stand for. Earlier was cutting it close to the line… Telling you anything I knew, that came at a price you know. The price of never coming back here. I’d just assume shoot you then help you.”

Deci sighed a shaky sigh. “Fine, shoot me.”

He raised his eye brow. “I won’t do that. I’m not cruel. I just think it would be in my best interest to avoid being fucked over. Wouldn’t you do the same if you were me?”

“I can’t say.” She mumbled. “I don’t know what your situation is but in my experience…I …” but then she stopped. Would she really trust strangers who were asking for help? She knew she wouldn’t just go to sleep and let the stranger run around her house to steal things from her.

“I wouldn’t trust anyone either.” She finally said.

“Wow shocking. I’d think you would just run around trusting people.”

Before Deci could answer there was a knock on the door.

“That’s your friend?” The mystery man asked.

“Yeah. Rev. He won’t object to anything going on here he just wants to make sure that I’m alright and didn’t get myself shot.”

“Let him in.”

Deci went to the door and slid it open and Rev stepped inside. He looked over at the mystery man and nodded.

“So what’s the verdict? The guys and Banana were getting uneasy.”

She looked at the mystery man. “I don’t think we’ll stay, it’s alright. It wasn’t his choice I just think that we shouldn’t impose on him. I don’t blame him for not wanting strangers here. Let’s go.”

The mystery man shook his head. “No. No I couldn’t live with myself if I sent you on your way and something happened.”

“You don’t have to. I did a terrible job at convincing you to let us stay I can’t believe I over looked how the situation was from your point of view. I was just worried you’d shoot me the minute I walked in here…”

“Imagine that. You turn the tables around and I let you stay. I just want you to know I’m not falling for the reverse psychology.”

Rev looked at the mystery man and then at Deci.

“I wasn’t trying that. I really do understand why you wouldn’t trust us, or anyone after being alone so long. After Rev got shot I wouldn’t trust a random person if they were the hero of the story or not. I don’t want you to feel like something would happen.”

“Deci, chill out you’re making it sound like you’re trying to hard.” Rev whispered.

The mystery man laughed. “If I didn’t think you were good to your word I’d of shot you while I stayed out of sight from your friends.”

Deci sighed a huge sigh. “Look…I realize that it’s asking a lot. And I know that it’s asking a lot and I’m not trying to convince you otherwise just because of this… I’m jus stressed out and don’t want to lose another friend and-.”

“Whoa, calm down.” The mystery guy said. He held his hand in the air. “It’s alright. But I’m not just going to let you stay here and you guys some how fuck me over, can you see how I’d be uneasy? You don’t understand my reasoning for wanting to be alone, I’ll never change my mind.”

“I’m not asking you to. We just need to have some day light on our side.” Deci said.

He nodded. “I understand, but now you understand me. I want everyone where I can see them, and I want YOU to stay up with me.”

Rev looked at him and then back at Deci. “I can stay up too.”

“No, you are going to sleep, just her. She said she was doing this for her friends, so she can do it for her friends. She’ll be fine, but I want collateral. That’s all, you understand don’t you?”

Rev nodded. “I guess, but you’re making yourself sound like a creeper.”

“Rev!” Deci punched his arm and Mystery Man laughed.

“I’m not going to do anything to her, I just want company. And since it was her idea she can take one for the team.”

“I don’t mind. I’ll do it.”

“But you’ll be slow as shit.” Rev said then added, “Not that you aren’t already but if you don’t get sleep…”

“I’ll be fine.” She insisted looking at him.

“Alright you two love birds, now before your other friends get in here I just want to tell you…while you two don’t bother me I don’t trust one of your friends. I wont let him stay. He has to sleep in the truck.”

Deci raised an eyebrow. “How can you not trust him? You don’t know him.”

“I don’t need to explain myself to you. Do you want to stay or not?”

“I’ll go tell ‘em.” Rev said.

“And you come with me.” Mystery Man said to Deci.

When Rev left he looked like he didn’t trust the situation at all, leaving her alone with him as long as he had before was torture, but Deci seemed to trust the situation. She wasn’t someone who trusted easily, but it bothered him she wanted to trust this stranger over their instincts to not go back.