Status: New, comments much appreciated (:

Baby Steps

Never felt better.

Sun shone through a crack in the crimson curtains of the bedroom, hitting the back of my eyelids and waking me with a groan. There was a constant thud thud thud in my head, a sure sign that today wasn't going to be so great. That feeling was backed up when i rolled over and noticed a name and a phone number written on a little note on the bedside drawer. How very cliche. If this Chris guy seriously thought i was going to call him then he probably wasn't worth calling in the first place. I sure do pick ‘em.

Poppy was passed out on my long orange couch. Last night must have been messy if she didn't even make it to her place, only the floor below. She must have heard me moving around as i went to make coffee, because the next thing i knew her arms were around my waist as i poured two cups, no sugar, no cream. She kissed my cheek as i turned and handed her her cup, smiling softly back at her. Just typical that she still looked stunning when she was hungover, when i probably definitely looked like shit. I may be gay, but i have no problem in admitting my best friend was gorgeous. The way her emerald green eyes sparkled all the time made me jealous.

“Do you remember what happened last night?” I asked, taking a mouthful of coffee and sighing contently as it burnt my throat on the way down.

“Niall sweetheart, it was probably the same as every other night.” She sighed, starting to make herself some breakfast seeing as she knew i wouldn't bother.

I thought about what she said for a moment and realized that she was right. Every weekend and occasional weeknight since the breakdown of my marriage – since he left me – had been the same: Start the night with a bottle of wine at home, end up in a bar downing shots and then maybe down some vodka, drinking and dancing our problems away. Most of the time i ended up hooking up with some guy i wouldn't remember the name of the next morning, and every now and again we wouldn't even make it back to an apartment, doing the dirty in a toilet cubicle or storage closet.

“Earth to Niall?” I was broken off from my thought by Poppy waving her perfectly manicured hand in my face. “You want any breakfast?”

Shaking my head, i busied myself by cleaning up things that were already clean, not in the mood for one of her lectures. I had the basic ones memorized by now:

“Niall, you cant fool me like you can everyone else. Just eat something and stop lying.”

Blah blah blah.

“You’d better eat a proper meal or i swear to god I'm going to kick your skinny little ass.”

Blah blah blah.

Or the newest one,
“Ive told you before, I'm not visiting when you end up in hospital again. You probably wont even care if no ones there to watch you waste away.”

Blah blah fucking blah.

“I'm fine Poppy.” I said, calm and collected, as though i wasn't really screaming internally. “In fact, Ive never felt better.”
♠ ♠ ♠
New story, id love to know what people think (:

Much love<3