Sequel: Turn Left

Edge of Seventeen

Moving In

I, Ella Mariee Way- well… Sanders stared in awe at my new home. I’d never been in a place that big, let alone lived in one. Normally, child services stuck me in shit holes with people who just wanted money for being foster parents, but these people, they were adopting me. When I ran away at fourteen, I never expected to be a part of another family, especially not when I was just about seventeen. My social worker, Caitlyn, told her me I was lucky. The woman didn’t understand why the parents chose me, a girl with a record of running away and causing trouble, who dressed somewhere between a London Goth and a beach princess. Caitlyn hated my guts, and I have to say, the feeling was entirely mutual, so I was glad I’d have to see her only like three more times.

“Now remember to behave and at least pretend that you’re a lady…” Caitlyn said as we got out of the car. She continued, but I didn’t listen. It’s not like she was even my mother. She was just some random woman who thought I needed to change, but honestly, if twelve foster homes in three years hadn’t changed me, I’m pretty sure one lecture couldn’t either.

I grabbed my backpack and worn duffel that held all my things. I felt a little out of place, approaching this huge house with only two bags wearing nothing but worn jean cutoffs and a faded black Grateful Dead tee shirt and a pair of high-top converse that were falling apart at the seams. I hoped to any listening sentient being that my image wouldn’t put my new family off.

I shouldered my bag and looked up at the porch where Caitlyn stood shaking the hands of a nice looking couple.

“Ella, come meet your new parents!” she grinned, her smile obviously fake.

I walked up the porch steps to stand in front of the couple. They seemed nice, like an average couple who would live in this area. Their smiles, unlike Caitlyn’s, were pure and large. The man extended a hand, so I shook it, but when I turned to the woman, she pulled me into a huge hug.

“We’re so glad to have you here sweetheart,” she grinned.

“Ella, meet Gary and Kim Sanders, your new parents,” Caitlyn introduced us with that same sickly sweet tone.

“Hi,” I smiled back, not sure what to say at this point. I had always hated how Caitlyn insisted upon hovering over situations like these. It made everything just that much more awkward.

“Why don’t you come inside and get situated,” the man Gary, smiled, “And then we can introduce you to your brother.”

“Brother?” I asked, raising and eyebrow, but still following the couple inside. As far as I knew, I was the only kid here.

“Yes, he’s on break from his tour to record a new record,” Kim explained as we walked through the nice house, with Caitlyn stalking us the whole way.

“Mmkay,” I said shrugging. At this point, I just wanted to put my things down and get away from Caitlyn. They led me upstairs and down a hallway and to a door.

“And, this will be your room.” Kim said, opening the door. The best way to describe it is a fresh canvas. The walls were psycho ward white.

“We figured we’d take you shopping later so you could decorate however you want.” Gary explained, noticing me looking around. Ella gave a half smile. Wonder if they’ll mind me painting it black and tiffany blue. Call me quirky but I loved that color combo.

“Well, you can just get your stuff put away,” Kim said brightly.

“And we’ll go work out the final details of the adoption.” Caitlyn said to Kim. The look on Kim’s face said she’d rather soak herself in acid. Or maybe she wanted to soak Caitlyn in acid. I was personally hoping for the latter.

“Fantastic.” Kim said in false cheeriness. Guess I wasn’t the only one who hated this woman. Caitlyn followed Kim out of the room, leaving me and Gary alone. I was completely unsure of what to say at this moment.

“Wow, I’m glad she’s gone. Woman is a nightmare.” Gary whispered to me, kind smile on his face.

“Yup, I’m gonna fit in great here.” I said with a giggle.

“Alright well I’ll leave you alone,” Gary smiled, pulling me into a hug, which I returned, “Just call if you need anything.”

I smiled and nodded before turning around to look back at my resources. There was a bed, two doors and a window seat, the view being the back yard. The bed just had a set of white sheets and a pillow. I opened both doors, one was a private bathroom and another was a smaller walk-in closet with lots of shelves and organizers. It was really nice.

Once I got my bearings on my new room, I began unloading my things. First, my clothes were put in the closet. Even when I was finished, the closet still looked relatively empty. I closed the door and moved on to unload the rest of my things. It wasn’t much, just a few notebooks with my writing, a baby blanket, some books, CDs, a walkman, girl things and other toiletries that went in the bathroom.

After I finished, I plopped down on the bed and looked around. I had already met Amy, the Sander’s daughter, when they came to the home I had been living at. I knew she was twenty in college and played basketball, but I didn’t know they had a son. After a few moments I rolled over to the phone on the nightstand and quickly dialed a familiar number.

“Xander’s Sex Emporium, would you like a male or female escort?”

“Xan, what the fuck?” I giggled, “Do I want to know what you’re doing to my best friends?”

“Ells-Bells!” he exclaimed loudly, “How’s the new place? We miss you already, slut muffin!”

“It’s pretty cool. I just got unpacked,” I chuckled at his antics, “Just wanted to call to let you guys know I’m here and so far it’s all good. I apparently have a brother now and I’m about to meet him.”

“Ooh yay! Someone else for you to torment!” He cheered. I just giggled; he had a good point.

“Yeah well, I don’t know if I’m technically even allowed to be one the phone… so I guess I’ll call you later?”

“Yeah yeah yeah, you better! Love you babe!”

“Bye love,” I giggled hanging up the phone and standing up.

Time to do this thing.

I exited my new room and proceeded back down the stairs. I heard voices, so I followed them into what I assumed was the living room, where I found a very angry looking Mr. and Mrs. Sanders and Caitlyn still chatting away.

“Oh Ella, there you are sweetheart!” Gary yelled as soon as he noticed me in the doorway, “Did you get settled alright?”
I nodded, “I didn’t have much to begin with so there was plenty room.” Caitlyn glared at me as I said this and I just glared right back.

“Well, we will just have to go shopping then won’t we?” he smiled genuinely.

“We’re still not finished here though,” Caitlyn cut in.

“Why don’t you go introduce yourself to Matt sweetie? He and his friends are out in the garage as we speak,” Kim cut her off.

“Kay,” I shrugged and left the room. Crap. Now I had to find the garage.

I wandered back through the doorway and down another hall until I hit the kitchen. I figured it was my best bet. I heard loud music coming from behind a door and I wondered whether or not I should knock. The Sanders had never told me exactly what their son was doing in the garage, but in my experience, loud music, no matter how old you are, means you don’t want someone listening in. After about two minutes of thought and standing there looking like an idiot, I figured, what the hell? If nothing else I could always pull the ‘oops, I’m sorry, didn’t know where that door led’ card.

I slowly opened the door and was quickly assaulted with a loud wall of music. I quickly slid inside and saw five men playing instruments. Even though Kim had said something about a band, I honestly didn’t expect to see them all playing. I was expecting a stereo, but whatever. The guys didn’t even notice me as I closed the door and leaned against it, watching them. The song was half scream-o and half lyrical heavy metal. The band consisted of a lead singer two guitarists a bassist and a drummer. They were all in sync, and really good even if it wasn’t my type of music. They finished their song and I resisted the urge to clap. My sick sense of humor wanted to see how long it would take them to notice.

“Dude, that one was so sick!” the singer cheered, high fiving one of the guitarists.

“Matt, Dude! There’s a chick in here!” the drummer yelled using a drum stick to point at me.
I smirked and waved at him and giggled when he waved back so hard he fell off his stool. The rest of the guys spun around to look at me. One with a beer bottle halfway to his mouth, another knocking over a pizza box tower with his bass and the other guitarist tripped over the singer.

“Well, you get a ten for musicianship, but a four for coordination, but a six for making me giggle,” I smirked as they all stared at me.

“Who the hell are you and what the fuck are you doing here?” The singer all but growled at me.

“Right how rude am I? The names Ella Sanders and I just moved in.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah Yeah Yeah, I know another one?
But like three people were like "ahh make a story out of it!"
soo I did.
And for those of you who don't know,
This a prequel/spin-off of my one shot Chance