Status: completed!

Be Free With Me

In The Meadow

I laid in the meadow as Cualli chased butterflies, squeaking as the pad of one of his paws slipped into the brook beside me.

I giggled softly as he padded up and rubbed the wet paw on my shirt, drying it off. Gently taking his furry pat in my hand, I kissed it, and in that moment, he changed into a human.

“Essy…” He whispered, saying ht nickname he had invented just for me. The same one the rest of the kittens had taken to calling me.

“Yes my love?” I asked the beautiful creature before me.

“I-I’m ready.” He whispered, “To tell you about my past.” He murmured shyly, making himself comfortable in my lap.

I remained silent, knowing this must be hard for him. Instead, I wrapped my arms around his waist, holding him to me as I leaned against a large rock in the meadow, letting him know that I was here for him.

Calmly, he slipped both of his hands into my own, and I squeezed, reassuring him.

“I never knew my father…he was a warrior who died in a great battle, my Mommy would tell me. I lived with her and my older brother Techal, and we were happy living in the forest without small village or clan of nekos as some called us, but soon…the war came…” He breathed out, his voice starting to shake.

“My Mommy d-died trying to p-protect Techal and I…We b-barely escaped without own lives but…T-Techal promised me he’d keep me s-safe One night…we were only a few miles from a friend of his’ home, just across the shifter border. He…he told me to keep going, to make it there but…I d-didn’t want to leave h-him to d-die by himself…but he made m. He always swore that Mommy was still alive and only taken captive and that he was going back for her, that he just wanted to make sure I was safe…I haven’t seen him since. If it were T-Techal…he may have d-done it, but I don’t want to seek him out for f-fear that I won’t find him…” he said, his whimpering voice barely above a whisper.

“Baby, that’s horrible…” I breathed out, finally seeing this deeper side to the cute kitten I’d fallen in love with. I found myself wanting to find out where his brother was…but I’d never do it without his permission.

“I-I’m not done…” he whispered. “The friends of Techal’s weren’t there. The people who were there…” He shuddered, and I hugged him closer to me as if to protect him from the past. “They welcomed me in, telling me that the old owners had moved away. I thanked them and went to l-leave, but…they wouldn’t let me. I was just some…plaything for those men. They sold my body for two years and four days until they got in a fight one night…They were drunk and they pulled out guns. I was so a-afraid…they had me tied to the door and I thought for sure I was going to die, but…” sobs rolled off of his small chest, “I watched them kill one another…then someone found me, one of the guards on patrol, and I guess he was friends with Coyotl because he took me there rather than to an orphanage or human place…” He finished softly.

“Oh Cualli, baby, I’m so sorry.” I said, appalled at what those damned men had done to this adorable thing. I squeezed him close to me and pecked the top of his head, “If those men weren’t dead…” I trailed off, anger causing my body to shake. Cualli’s soft lips though calmed me when I felt them and his ears on my neck.

“What’s done is done.” He said before looking down at his hands and playing with a stray string from his shirt.

“Cualli…I want to help you find your brother.” I whispered, knowing that would bring him happiness if he found him and I’d do anything to make him happy. “but I won’t do it if you don’t wish it. If he’s alive…” I let on.

“But what if he isn’t?” He asked himself, then shook his head, dispersing the thought. “No…It’s been almost three years, I-I want to know!” Cualli said, looking up at me with those big eyes of his.

“You sure?” I asked, wanting to make sure he was absolutely positive about this.

“Mhmm…I’d like to see him…” He whispered, and I nodded.

“And you will.” I murmured, leaning in and pressing my lips ever so softly to his, letting him pull back if he wanted to. “I love you Cualli, no matter what happened in your past.” I told him, seeing the uncertainty and unshed tears in his eyes.

“Thanks Essy…I love you too.” He giggled cutely and kissed me again. Boy did I love this kitten.
♠ ♠ ♠
well now you know what happened!!!:D

poor little baby:(