Status: Complete

Eat Your Heart Out

Chapter 10

The rest of the break was fairly uneventful. David was impressed by my résumé and experience and so I quickly became the newest bartender at the Mystic Grill. Even though he was impressed, he was still aware that I was in high school, so I usually had the easy hours during the week. I only had to do weekend shifts once a month. I was used to craziness at the bar, but I didn’t complain.

Also, five people were killed during those three weeks. Elena told me that those were normal animal attacks. There were two problems wrong with her theory. One was that surely the animal would be found and killed quickly if that was the case. Two, my brother has worked on all the bodies and he says it’s the work of a really pissed vampire.

I was not excited to be back in school, especially one that was this small and everyone knew everyone. Being the new kid on the block, I was center of attention and absolutely hated it. Elena introduced me to multiple people, but I still chose to stick by her and Stefan the most. Elena and I had managed to actually grow closer over the break, but Stefan seemed to always be suspicious of me.

We were about three weeks or so into the new semester and I was already counting down the days until Spring Break. Digging through my locker for my lunch, I felt a slight tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see Stefan, arms crossed, bag hanging off of one shoulder, and brows furrowed. “You need new facial expressions.” I said, turning around and starting my search up again.

“You’re still coming over to practice today, right?” He asked, reaching over my head and pulling a crumpled brown bag from the top of my locker and handing it to me.
“Yes, and thank you,” I said with a polite smile.

He nodded, a brief smile appearing and disappearing, and followed me into the cafeteria.
Oh, did I mention that Caroline tricked me into signing up for the spring play? Elena was able to weasel her way to being stage manager, but somehow I got tricked onto stage and landed a part…well, the main female part. David, however, was being extremely nice about it and helped give me hours around my crazy practice schedule. This basically meant that I was about to do a lot more weekend shifts.

“KRIS!!!!” Caroline shrieked, almost tackling me in a hug. “You are a life saver!”

“You’re welcome?” I asked, trying to wriggle out of her grip so that I could sit down and eat.

“I passed my Calc test with a B-! All thanks to your extra help.”

“Oh,” I said, setting down my bag, sitting in a chair, and dumping my lunch onto the table. “That’s no biggie. Numbers make since to me.”

“Well, you’re still a lifesaver. Without you helping me pass and I being the assistant director, the play may not have been able to go on.”

I gave her a long look. “You told me that your mom was going to ground you until you were 45 if you failed.”

“Well, if I gave you the real reason, then you wouldn’t have helped me.”

I shrugged, and then nodded, biting into my Subway Melt. I had picked it up on the way to school.

“Hey, everyone,” Elena greeted, joining our table. We mumbled back hellos and continued on with lunch.

I glanced around the table, catching Stefan whispering something to Elena, she nodded and then both returned to the conversation. I cocked my head slightly, before shaking off the weird feeling that I had and finished up my lunch.

The bell shrieked and I took off from the table into my History class. I had this feeling crawl up my spine and felt uncomfortable and out of place. I sat down just as my head started spinning. My breath shortened, and I felt horribly stiff. I held my head in my hands and just like that the feeling was gone.

That wasn’t a good thing.

~~

School passed by quickly, and I almost sprinted to Aiden’s car. The feeling shot through me again, almost driving me to the ground in pain. Someone grabbed my arm and I opened my eyes wide enough to make out Aiden before slamming my eyes shut again.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, trying to pull me to the car quickly.

“Um…migraine.” I said, lying down in the back seat.

“Ah, pop some Advil when we get home.” He said, concern leaving his voice as he started the car and took off.

I nodded, even though I knew he couldn’t see me.

It was a painful trip home, feeling every bump and hole in the road. Aiden helped me to my room and gave me some medicine. Within minutes, the pain was gone and I fell asleep.
About an hour or so later I woke to a horrible screeching coming from my phone. My headache has disappeared for a moment, so the bright screen didn’t hurt my eyes much.

From: Stefan
We are meeting at 6 tonight, right?
I glanced at my clock and let out a sigh of relief to see it was only 5:00 pm.

Reply:
Yeah, I’ll be over in an hour.


I stretched my body before heading downstairs and remind them that I had practice…just not where I had practice. “Aiden?”

“Kitchen!”

I walked into the kitchen as he shut the fridge, holding a bag in his hand and a glass in the other. I raised my eyebrow slightly and crossed my arms.

“What? It’s a bit less awkward from a cup.” He said popping a hole and pouring out the ruby liquid.

“Whatever. You remembered that I have practice today right?”

“Do I need to bring you somewhere?”

“No, Elena is going to get me.”

“Then why are you telling me?”

“So you don’t freak out later when I leave the house.”

He nodded and took a long drink. “I’m really glad that you’re making friends here, and that they aren’t like…the last ones.”

I glared at him, and punched his arm. He didn’t even flinch.

“And you’re staying away from him right?”

I sighed heavily, tired of having to answer this question every day.

“Yes, but I still think that it is stupid you won’t let me go to their house –“

“I don’t really care.”

“Yes, I’m staying away.”

“Good. I’m going to be in the study. Just let me know when you leave.”

“Alright,” I said grabbing a box of Cheese It’s and taking off into the living room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and Subscribe my dear Readers! <3

Just a quick little video that I found on youtube for your entertainment. :)

~Kait