Status: Complete

Eat Your Heart Out

Chapter 15

There were soft footsteps the next time I started to wake up. Whoever it was, was very good at being quiet. There was a rustling noise, and then the sound of heavy glass being placed on wood. A sweet aroma raced toward my nostrils, fully awakening me. Opening my eyes, I saw the back of a black shirt as the person picked up the plastic chair and sat it beside me bed. I cocked my head sideways as the person looked up at me. “Of all the people, you show up?”

“I think I have the right to, since I found you before your precious big brother.”

Turning my head sideways, I saw a huge arrangement of flowers in a very simple glass vase. They smelled wonderful, but he didn’t seem like the flower giving type.

“Thank you, but they aren’t necessary. There’s nothing wrong with me – my brothers are overprotective, especially since Eric is a sergeant.”

“Last night didn’t look like nothing.”

“Well it was. Why are you here anyway?”

“I’m sorry that I wanted to check and see that you weren’t dead.”
I raised an eyebrow, studying him closely. “You don’t seem like someone who cares about anyone.”

He leaned back, hand over his heart. “Well, that was a bit hurtful, Kris.”

“I still think it’s true.” I replied, shrugging.

“Well, surprise, it’s not.” He dropped his hand, his fingers just barely touching mine. I looked at them for a minute, before pulling mine back. What was he up to? “Where are your brothers anyway?”

“What time is it?”

He glanced at his watch, never moving his hand from the bed. “10:24 AM.”

“At work.” I said with a quick nod.

“Ah,” he leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest and studying me.
For whatever reason, I was feeling very exposed. I didn’t like the feeling, so I crossed my arms over my chest as well. “If you are in the hospital at 10:24 in the morning, what do you exactly do, Mr. Salvatore?”

“Oh, odd jobs here and there,” he replied with ease and a smirk.

We sat there awkward for a few minutes, before I spoke up. “What were you doing at the school anyway last night?”

“Stefan didn’t have a ride home.”

“Elena had her car, I thought she was going to –“

“Well she wasn’t going to.”

“She’s always at your house –“

“Well she wasn’t coming over yesterday!” He snapped back. I backed off the subject, even though I was positive that I was right.

“Well, mission accomplished! I’m not dead. You can leave now.” I replied, I huffed back, tired of his attitude.

He just glared as a response. I sighed and rubbed my forehead with my hands before letting them drop to my sides. He was giving me a migraine. Just as my arms fell to my sides, his hands grabbed my left one.

“What’s this scar from?” He asked thumbing over the bite-mark on my wrist gently. The way he stroked it gave me goosebumps but I shook my head, trying to erase the thoughts that were wiggling through. I did not like this guy. In all honesty, I was afraid of him. But there was something about him – NO! I couldn’t let those thoughts in.

“Kris? The scar?”

I looked at him, a little lost for words, and instantly got trapped in his cerulean eyes. I fumbled for words, but my usual answer was not there, instead “It’s not a dog bite,” came running out.

He just slowly raised an eyebrow at me, a lopsided grin on his face. “Then what is it?”

I looked between his eyes and my wrist, eyebrows furrowed. It’s not a dog bite was all that was racing through my head. “I…I don’t remember.” I admitted, a bit confused myself.

For a minute, I stared at my wrist, but I could feel him staring at me. When I looked up again, he shifted his glance toward the door, as if he heard something. He stood quickly, dropping my hand, with a soft thump.

“This is when I make my leave,” he said turning to face me again. It was my turn to be confused.

“Why?”

“Because it sounds like you’re brothers are on their way to your room with lunch, and us being such great friends and all-“ he said stepping a bit closer to me. I instantly felt trapped and tried to hide my nervousness. “I think that it would be better if I disappeared. Our little secret,” he said with a smirk before quickly running out the door.

What the hell just happened?
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry - another short one!

TTFN!
~Kait