Status: Complete

Eat Your Heart Out

Chapter 17

I was out the next day, not listening to my brothers when they tried to keep me from school. Caroline was thrilled, and then scolded me about getting sick. Because I had complete choice in that one.

The next week was busy and crazy, getting ready for the play – as well as balancing school work and my new job. That Friday showed up much faster than expected, but I was ready to be done with this play.

Standing at the edge of the stage, however, nerves kicked into play at extremely high levels. I could feel myself slightly shaking. Maybe I should have turned this down all those weeks ago. I felt someone beside me and turned to see Elena standing beside me. “Nerves?”

“Under control,” I said, giving an off smile. She caught on.

“You’ll be fine,” she said, giving me a quick hug. “Just don’t let Caroline catch on,”

I chuckled at that. Caroline had been a pessimist all night, to the point I really thought that
she would have a heart attack. The director had basically handed everything off to her, and now she was beyond stressed that everything must go perfectly.

It was kind of funny to watch, though, which is really a mean thing to say.

Elena tapped my shoulder, pulling me from my thoughts. “Get ready,”

I focused on the stage, and only the stage, moving out after I heard my cue. If I didn’t have to – I didn’t look into the audience. That seemed to help a bit. Stefan, of course, moved with ease, which also helped calm me down a little. If he could do this, I could too. I dove into my character, completely becoming ‘Elizabeth.’

~*~

I have never had a standing ovation before, hell I’ve never performed before. But when Stefan and I walked back on stage for bows that’s what we received. It was one of the most amazing feelings that I have ever felt.

Not only was the crowd impressed with us, so were those we performed with, which included Caroline – which was a huge relief.

I headed to the back to the changing room, when I ran into Caroline, who pulled me into a huge hug. “You were wonderful!” she told me, looking pretty relieved that it was all over. “There’s going to be a party for everyone by the falls. You’re coming right?”

I shrugged, “I don’t know, I’m not one for-“

“You have to, Kris! You’re now huge at this school and everyone will be expecting you!”

“No, Caroline, they won’t. I’m not that big – I’m still the new kid and it’s almost been three months. I’ve never been one for –“

“Please!” She begged me, following me to the changing room. “You gotta come! You were the main actress!”

I grabbed my phone, seeing two new messages, and looked back at Caroline. “I’ll ask my brothers.”

“Why? They will just say no. Go tell them you’re going with me. They like me so it’ll work.”

“Okay,” I said, opening up the two messages.

Aiden: Meet me by the side of the stage.

Eric: Aiden ran off toward some chick. I’m by the stage.


I laughed and replied to Eric.

Kris to Eric: Caroline wants to take me to a ‘cast party’ out at the falls tonight. She says I must go and I’m safe with her.

Eric to Kris: Nope.

Kris to Eric: Why the heck not?

Eric to Kris: Because we are having a nice night at home. We have barely seen you in two
weeks and the times we did you were at the hospital.

Kris to Eric: I won’t be out late.

Eric to Kris: Don’t test me. I’ll pick you up and humiliate you like you were my kid.

Kris to Eric: Ass.

Eric to Kris: I know. :)


I slammed my phone on the counter and looked at Caroline. “I can’t. Eric and Aiden want me at home because they have barely seen me.”

Caroline let out something like a groan and a sigh. “Just ditch them.”

“Caroline!”

“What? I do it to my mom all the time. They won’t care.”

“Oh, they will care.”

“Kris!”

“I’m sorry, I can’t!”

She sighed again and slipped out a quiet “Okay.” In two seconds she changed over to preppy girl I’m usual to. “Fine, but you have to come to some party at some point, alright? I’ll steal you out of your own house if I have to.”

I laughed and gave her a hug. “Will do, promise,” I said giving her a hug.

“See you Monday!” She waved before disappearing again.

I laughed and returned to cleaning up and packing my bags.

~~

Slipping backstage wasn’t hard, everyone trusted me in this town. The door to the changing room was open, and I could see her sitting at the mirror, in a big sweatshirt and jeans, pulling her hair up and a look of slight disappointment on her face.

“Let me guess, you liked my version better.”

She jumped a full two feet before laying her head down on the counter in front of her. “Damon Salvatore, you are going to kill me one of these days.” She mumbled before lifted her head and looked at me through the mirror.

“Beautiful performance, by the way,” I leaned against the doorframe as she quickly started loading things into different bags and containers.

“Thanks. Why are you back here anyway?”

“I’m driving you to the cast party.” I said swatting her ponytail like a cat out of boredom.
She let out a laugh before turning to look at me, leaning against the counter, arms crossed. “Too bad I’m not going.”

“Aw, why not?” I ask, purposefully getting extremely close to her.

“Two reasons.” She said holding a fist in front of me. She lifted her index finger. “One, I don’t like parties.” She lifted the middle one. “Two, do I look dressed to go to a party?”

“I could change that.” I said with a sly smirk.

“Nope,” She pushed me to the side and grabbed her bags. “Aiden and Eric are taking me home.”

“Why? Is a party with the Salvatores and a whole hell a lot of other people too scary for your big brothers to let you go to?” I grabbed a bag that fell from her grasp.

“No,” she said, trying to grab the bag back, but I held it out of reach. “They just want a quiet night at home as a family.” She reached again, chest pressed against me, trying to get the
bag back.

“You could lie to them again,” that made her stop and look up, “I mean, it has worked every time you’ve snuck over to our house.”

“How do you know that I lie to them? You’ve never been there.”

“You’re brothers hate me.” I said with a sigh, quickly wrapping my free arm around her waist, holding her in place when she tried to escape. “They hate it when I happen to walk out my door the same time you walk out yours.”

She tried to pull away, but I only held her tighter. “Damon, let go.”

“No,” I whispered, dropping my head down to her ear. “Besides, you liked it last time.” I smirked, taking in her perfume. Damn, she smelled good. I let her go when she pushed away this time.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She hissed, snatching the bag when I offered it to her. She once more loaded herself and rushed out the door.

I was in front of her before she could blink. “A kiss works two ways, my dear. And you defiantly enjoyed it.” I stepped closer to her, her heart rate skyrocketing.

She shook her head, but was at a loss for words.

“Come to the party, it’ll be fun. Promise.” I smirked, grabbing the same bag as it fell from her grasp.

“What the hell are you doing back here?” I heard from behind me. I whipped around to see one of the brothers, although I wasn’t sure which.

“He was helping me get to the car, Eric.” She covered for me quickly. Eric walked over and snatched the bag and stepped between me and Kris, taking a few more bags from her and almost dragging her away.

~~

“What was that?” Eric hissed at me as we loaded the trunk of his car.

“He was looking for Stefan and saw me and came over to help me.”

“Why didn’t you tell him ‘no’?”

“I did, then I dropped a bag and he wouldn’t give it back. Said he’d bring it to the car for me then leave, because he knows how much you all hate him.”

Eric sighed, running a hand through his slightly spiked blonde hair. “Nothing other than that?”

“Nope.” Boy, I was lying a lot to my brothers lately. We got into the car and drove around till we found Aiden, who was in deep conversation with a perky redhead.

“Five bucks says lips.”

“I say cheek.”

Aiden saw the car, kissed the woman on the cheek and headed over. Eric reluctantly pulled out a five and threw it at me.

Aiden quietly slid in, shutting the door and we were off toward home.

My phone buzzed, signaling a text message. I looked at the number, but it was unfamiliar.

My brother really shouldn’t leave his phone lying about. You never know who will find it. – D
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry that this one is so short - I haven't had an increase in numbers like I usually do, but I will keep updating for my 20 wonderful subscribers! I am going to start to go back and re-write parts of the story to see if it will attract more readers. If there is something that you think that I could do to improve this story, please leave me a comment!

~Kait