Status: Complete

Eat Your Heart Out

Chapter 18

Have a wonderful day –D

I shut my phone and stuck it back into my pocket. As soon as I saw Stefan today, I was going to kill him. This weekend had been horribly awkward because Damon just magically got my number out of Stefan’s phone. Seriously? The man wouldn’t leave me alone!

Slamming my locker shut, which was not necessary, I headed down to my Calculus class, where Stefan was already sitting in his usual seat near the back of the room. I sat, situating everything that I would need for class, balled up my fist and turned and punched his arm as hard as I could. He didn’t flinch at all. Actually, he turned, his face looking slightly hurt.

“What did I do?”

“You left your phone alone long enough that your brother now owns my phone number, that’s what,” I replied, crossing my arms.

He cocked his head slightly at me, “That’s what he wanted my phone for?”

“You just handed it to him?” I said, a bit pissed.

“He said that his wasn’t working,”

“And you believed him?”

“I had no reason not to.”

“Dammit, Stefan.”

He chuckled, shaking his head slightly.

“What?” He didn’t have a reason to be laughing at me at the moment.

“You, that’s what,” when he saw my face he quickly explained. “Damon is usually very smooth with the ladies, yet you aren’t falling for him at all. It’s quite funny,”

“It is not!” I growled back.

He leaned over to me, “Yeah, it is,”

“Stefan!” I cried, dropping my head onto my desk. “I don’t like this!”

“Aw, I’m sorry,” he said, rubbing my back. “I’ll try to delete your number this afternoon, okay?”
I sighed and nodded, knowing that was probably the best I could do. He pulled his hand away and I sat up as soon as the teacher began to dive into our lesson for that day.

~*~

Laying my head down in English, I tuned out whatever was going on. Caroline had been right – doing that damn play had brought me to the center of attention, which I hated! It had been an extremely long day, and I was only about half way through it.

There was a tap on my shoulder and I looked up to see Ms. Cartwright looking down at me. She dropped a note on my desk and continued with the lesson. I took the note and opened it, seeing that it was an excused noted from the office. It said my brothers were taking me out today. I raised an eyebrow – a bit confused. They had never pulled me out before, why start now? Besides, it had been a good solid week since the hospital, and they knew that I wouldn’t sit at home.

Quickly gathering my things, I headed down the hallways toward the front office. I made notes of quick escapes and strained my ears to see if I heard anything out of the ordinary. After years of being trained by my brothers, it was hard not to do it.

As I approached the office, I knew that something was wrong. The first thing that I noticed was that there was one man at the desk, and whoever it was wore a black leather jacket. I sighed, running my hand through my hair. Really? I didn’t want to deal with him today.

I opened the door, peering carefully at the person’s back. “Damon, seriously? When I don’t answer your texts-“ my words stopped short when the man turned, grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

“Who’s Damon?” he asked, stepping forward carefully.

My mouth opened and closed, at a complete loss for words.

“Kris, who’s this Damon?”

“You’re not either of my brothers.”

He chuckled, pinning me against the glass wall. “I know that, but I convinced her that I was,” he purred pointing back toward the secretary. “But who is this Damon?”

“No one,” I finally got out, reaching back – trying to find the handle to the door.

“Don’t lie to me, Kris.” he purred, letting his head drop to my throat. I held my breath,
focusing on my right hand finding that damn handle. There!

I grabbed the handle, ripping open the door and running out, only to run into someone
else’s back. Arms grabbed me as I fell, and when I opened my eyes, I saw Stefan staring at me. “Kris?”

“Is this him?” I heard from behind me, not surprised that he followed me out.

I faced the cold green eyes and shook my head. His black shoes carried him silently him toward us.

“Who are you?” Stefan said behind me.

“Jeremiah, Jeremiah Baine,” he gave a slight bow, “and if you wouldn’t mind handing Kris back to me, we were in the middle of a conversation,”

I clutched Stefan’s sleeve and he seemed to get that I wanted nothing to do with him. “I’m sorry, I can’t. She has an appointment,”

Jeremiah had a dark flash across his face, but it was gone in an instant. “Do you mind if I tag along? You see, Kris and I use to attend school together –“

“I’m sorry; I don’t think that her brothers would like that too much.”

“And who are you that would know so much about them?”

“I’m a good friend of Kris’s, that’s how.” Stefan stated, shoving me a bit more behind him.

“Hmm,” Jeremiah purred, stepping closer to him. “Doesn’t sound like much.” He looked at me that smile creeping back onto his face. “Until next time, then,” and he was gone.
I let out a breath that apparently I had been holding in for a while.

Stefan turned to face me, arms crossed and brow furrowed in his true fashion. “Care to explain who that is?”

“Jeremiah,” I stated, still trying to wrap my mind around that he was here. In about three months of living here, he had still managed to find me again.

“And the reason that you’re scared of him?”

‘Well…he’s an ex of mine, who is slightly pissed that I broke it off with him.”
Stefan sighed, looking over me. “Is there anything else I should know?”

I shook my head, but I was bluntly lying to him. We stood there awkwardly for a bit, looking at each other.

“Stefan?”

“Yeah?”

“Could you bring me home, please?”

He sighed and nodded, turning to lead me toward his car.

~~

Frozen, with my scotch in my right hand, I tried to take in what Stefan told me. “And you’re sure of this?”

“He was gone – out of the building – in less than a second. He has to be, Damon. It only makes since.”

“And he’s threatening Kris because…”

“They are ex’s.”

“Ah,” I replied, swallowing the remainder of my drink. I was going to need another. “So, you’re telling me that Kris use to date a vampire and you think that that guy may be the killer,
not her brothers?”

“Yes,”

After refilling, I took another swig. “Great,”

“Oh, and I need your phone,”

“I’m not letting you delete her number, Stefan.”

“Damon, you’re bothering her. Actually, I think you are scaring her. Just delete the number.”

“No,”

“Damon –“

“No,” I said again, turning and heading up the stairs, shutting the door to my bedroom faster than Stefan could travel.

So Jeremiah had decided to now show his face here in Mystic Falls. I almost felt obligated to introduce myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know that this one is short, but the next chapter makes up for it, promise! Almost done editing the previous chapters! I'll let you know when they are all completed.

Enjoy!

~Kait

(More Damon in the next one, promise! :K )