Status: Complete

Eat Your Heart Out

Chapter 2

The snow fell peacefully outside, and laughter was filling the air. Bright lights twinkled from windows and front yards, giving a warm glow to the dark streets. Groups of people sung carols, entertaining multitudes. Couples snuggled close together, claiming for warmth, but people knew otherwise. Mystic Falls was full of life and loving it.
God, I hate this time of year.

I glared at the crackling fire, tipping the cool glass in my hands in small circles, making the scotch climb up each side. The house was dark and quiet, except for the harsh glow of the popping of the fire contained in the stone fireplace. This gave me time to get lost in my thoughts, which I wasn’t too fond of doing.

I hated this. I hated watching them, knowing that there was no chance for me. They freed him from that damn tomb and I was once more thrown to the side. It didn’t matter who it was because it would always be him. I growled slightly and stood, having to catch myself on the arm of the chair I had previously sat in. Anger boiled throughout my body and I chunked my drink and the glass into the fireplace, making it roar for a few seconds.

With a couple of blinks, I steadied myself out and headed up to my room. I didn’t care that I was drunk, I didn’t care what I did, and I’m sure no one else would either. In fact, the most that would happen would probably get a good hard scolding. I laughed at the thought – seeing Stefan and Elena scolding me – the thought causing me to nearly miss the top step.
Finally making it to my room, I collapsed onto my red cotton bedcover and glanced to my left at the clock. The small neon green date informed me that it was December 13th. Furrowing my brow in frustration, something about that date stuck out to me. However, after about thirty seconds of trying to remember, I gave up.

Rolling onto my back, I looked up at the tan ceiling. I narrowed my eyes as a familiar gnawing rose within me. I was hungry…scratch that, I was starving, but I was too drunk to stand and travel down to the basement to get a snack. I’d probably just pick up a sorority group tomorrow and get them drunk enough that they wouldn’t care if I fed. With a heavy sigh, I closed my eyes and fell into a rough sleep.

~~

There was a tap on my shoulder, waking me from my slumber.

“Kris, we are leaving now!” My brother, Aiden, hissed over at me. I nodded, stifling a yawn, picked up my backpack and quickly followed him outside. We moved quick and silently to the neighbor’s where the moving van sat. Aiden helped me climb inside, where Eric was waiting behind the steering wheel. “We may only get a couple hours head start, but that should be enough for them to lose us.” He said pulling out of the cul-de-sac.

It took about an hour, but we were out of Albany and quickly on our way to a small town in Virginia – the name slipping from memory because of how tired I was.

“Do you think that they will find us?” I asked, breaking the eerie silence.

“Hopefully not, but no promises,” Eric replied giving me a quick sideways glance. “Go back to sleep, Kris. It’ll still be awhile before we are at the new place. We’ll wake you when we make it.”

I nodded and rested against Aiden’s shoulder, quickly falling back asleep.