Status: Complete

Eat Your Heart Out

Chapter 31

I knocked on his bedroom door, rolling the words around in my head that I was about to say. “Stefan, open up.”

There was a bit of shuffling before the door opened, revealing a disheveled Stefan and a fake-sleeping Elena.

“Yes?”

I sighed, not really wanting to say what was going on in my head. “Do you mind if we talk downstairs so we don’t bother your faker of a girlfriend over there?”

“You can say whatever in front of her too.” I small smile started to form on his lips, as if he knew why I came up here.

“Fine, but listen because this will only happen once in either of your lifetimes. Stefan, you’re right. I miss her.”

That damn smile grew, and I could see one form on Elena’s lips, so I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, yeah, there’s my humanity. Whatever. But now that we have that settled-“

“No.” Stefan said, before I could finish my statement.

I turned toward him eyes narrowing. “Why not, little brother? Youwould do the same thing for her.” I said pointing at Elena.

“But Kris left on her own accord, give her some space.”

“Oh, so I’m just to wait until she comes home? And what do you think I should do to preoccupy myself until then?”

“The Lockwood Party.”

I sighed, clearly frustrated. “Why the hell is this party so important to you?”

“Have you not realized that it’s been eerily quiet here since Kris took off?”

My eyes widened. “Jeremiah.”

“If he’s here, he’ll probably show up to the party. Easy accident explanation if he is planning something.”

“But what if he’s not? What if he’s gone after her? We need to get to her first.”

“No.”

"You of all people should be out there searching for her! Almost a higher reason than her brothers!"

"Oh? And why would that be, Damon? Please humor me."

"Because she made me forget about Elena!"

Stefan stared in shock at his brother, not sure on what all he could say.

"When Kris was around, I wanted just Kris. I enjoyed her snarky attitude toward life, her pride, her shyness over her own body. I enjoyed how she would always tried to get the last line when I talked to her. Hell, I even miss when I just got to hold her. Just like that one time when she hurt her ankle and I forced her to stay with me."

Silence.

"You're in love with her." Stefan replied, partially in shock.

"I wouldn't call it love, I barely know her. But there is something there that makes me want her. And that is why I want her back."

There was a quick pause before repetitive loud knocks came from the door. "Let us in! Dammit, Salvatores, let us in!"

Damon walked to the door and pulled it wide open, so Stefan could see who it was as well. "Carneils." He said with a nod.

"Where is she?" One asked, eyes narrowed and full of anger.

He shrugged easily, maintaining his heart rate so he appeared cool and collected. "Beats me."

"Bullshit." The other replied, but he didn't look as angry as his brother. "She took off in the middle of the night. She has nowhere else to go but here."

"Technically, that's not true. She's got a lot of friends, right brother?"
Stefan nodded, crossing his arms and walking to the door to stand by his brother. "There's Elena, Caroline, Bonnie, Alexis, oh and that drama dude Andrew - he really has taken a liking to her-"

One brother, the one who showed all emotions through his eyes, lunged at the two, but the Salvatores didn't even flinch as he smashed into the barrier, blocking him from entering. The other helped his brother stand.

"She may have other friends, but none that really know or could protect her from Jeremiah, don't cock your eyebrows, we know you know. That's why we're over here. Aiden thinks that she's hiding with you."

"Hate to burst your bubble of hope, but she isn't here-"

"Like hell she isn't-"

"She didn't just leave you, she left me too!"

"So what? It's not like you even matter to her-"

Damon gave in toward his anger and made a lunge at Aiden, but Stefan pulled him back and Eric just let his brother smash into the barrier again. Shaking Stefan off, Damon crossed his arms at the twins. "She's not here." he said again, this time with a hiss.
Aiden tried to say something, but Eric slammed his face back down into the porch with his booted foot. "Alright, she's not here. Is there any chance that she's stayed at someone else's house around here?"

Damon looked toward his brother, who shook his head. "She wasn't at school and Matt said that she called in sick for work. I've had people ask me if I know where she is, I think she's taken off. Is there anyone you know, like a family member or friend or something that she could've run to?"

It was Eric's turn to shake his head. "We don't have family - we haven't for about 132 years-".
At this point, Aiden had managed to use his brother's weight against him and flipped him on the back, standing up with ease.

The Salvatores furrowed their eyebrows, but Damon voiced their thoughts. "132 years? Then how are you her brothers?"

"We aren't...technically speaking." Aiden hissed, keeping a close eye on his brother, who was standing back up.

"We're Uncles." Eric responded, glaring at his brother. "Kris is one of our grand-grand-grand neices - but when she was abandoned, we took responsibility for her."

"My guess is that she doesn't know either." Damon added, feeling anger burning up inside of them. Both of these brothers, though their original intention was good, were bringing more harm to Kris than anything else.

Eric shook his head, but Aiden didn't do anything. "She thinks that we were turned only a few years ago."

Stefan let out a low whistle. "I thought we had family issues."

There was another break of silence, when Aiden finally spoke. "Do you have any idea where she could've gone?"

"Anywhere - " Damon said, breaking off, realizing that he really wouldn’t have any idea where to start either.

"You're not exactly helping-" Aiden said through clenched teeth.

"Neither are you." Damon growled back. "Now, if you would kindly clear off the front stoop, I have things to do." With ease, he then slammed the door in the twins' faces and started up the stairs to his room.

Stefan followed silently behind, trying to figure out what he was up to.

“I’m going to make a few phone calls, see if anyone has seen her.” He voiced an answer to Stefan’s silent question. “I have to do something.”

“At least come to the party this weekend. If Jeremiah shows up, he may be able to answer a few questions.”

Nothing in him wanted to go to this party. His gut was telling him to start searching now, but the proposal of beating Jeremiah up… “I’ll think about it.” He replied, continuing to his room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update 2/3