Status: Complete

Eat Your Heart Out

Chapter 37

Being grounded sucked.

And I’m almost positive that if the Twins could, they would’ve found a way to keep me home from school and work as well. Luckily, they were my small escapes from the two story house I was forced to make spotless every day.

Aiden had rarely spoken to me after I got back, but I couldn’t really blame him. He was mad, I screwed up, and Travis was dead. Travis had mentored the both of them for I don’t even know how long. He was their father figure, and it was my fault he was dead.

I think that he was slowly coming around, although he drank a lot more than in the past.
Eric very much kept him under control, but kept a sharp eye on me, no matter where I went. He picked me up from school and work, and check on me every few minutes if I even walked to a different room.

Three weeks had passed, and they were slowly becoming easier to deal with – and I was about to put this all into jeopardy.

My phone buzzed loudly on the counter.

When am I allowed over?
-D

After dinner – which I’m serving now. I’ll text you at dessert.


The twins walked in, a look of pure ecstasy on their faces. “Beef Stroganoff!” Eric said, happily plopping into one of the four chairs around the table. Aiden just raised an eyebrow and looked at me.

“Yes, and a Caesar Salad with Italian bread. I also have some fresh watermelon,” I finished, looking straight back at Aiden. “I figured I owed you two big for everything I have put you through.”

Aiden nodded lightly before dumping food onto his plate.

~~

“You know, you’re quite cute in that outfit,” Eric said refilling his wine glass – which I was encouraging.

“Thank you,” I smiled in return. Eric would be the easy one. It was Aiden, who had barely drank anything, that I was concerned over.

“Why did you dress up? It’s just a family dinner.” Aiden asked.

“I felt like looking cute today.”

“You don’t normally wear shorts,”

“Well – I-I decided to make a change, break out of my shell.”

“I think you’re hiding something,” Aiden said, raising his eyebrow and taking a small sip.

I feigned shock, “Of course not! I just wanted say sorry in a way I knew would appease you.”

He grunted and turned away from me.

We sat in silence for a few minutes before I stood. “I made a cake for dessert, it’s in the kitchen.” I left them and disappeared around the corner, sliding my phone out.

Dessert. Give me two more minutes, then come over.

I got a reply almost instantly.

Yes Ma’am
-D


I quickly pocketed my phone into the back pocket of the shorts I was wearing.

My pulse quickened as I grabbed the cake and brought it out to my brothers. It was all I could do not to stare at the door.

Eric snapped his fingers in my face, drawing my mind back to the tiny dining hall. “Fud Make.”

“Thank you,” I replied letting out a small smile. Taking a deep breath, I dove into it. “So, I know I have been grounded for three weeks, and rightly so, but I was wondering, because I’ve done all without much complaining, that I could get oh…one Friday night off?”

The boys just stared at me. Aiden was the first to speak, “I knew you wanted something.”

“What for?”

“A date,” I said, holding my breath.

“Finally! Is it with that Matt boy you work with? Or maybe that Jeremy fellow you talk about – the one that’s in your art class –“ Leave it to Eric to turn into a parent.

“Not exactly.”

“Not exactly? You can’t ‘not exactly’ date a person,” Aiden chimed in. “It’s either a yes or a no.”

“Well, then, no. It’s not them.”

“Oh, what about Christian? The one boy on the football team in your math class? Or Travis – your history study buddy?” Eric asked, wiggling his eyebrows, making me laugh.

“No, not them either,”

Eric was silent for a moment before going back at it. “How about Gale, maybe Theo? –“

I shook my head, trying not to jump when my phone vibrated.

“Just tell us who, Kristyna.” Aiden growled making me jump.

“Well,” I said, walking to the door, and opening it. “Damon,”

Damon smiled politely at my brothers, who were slightly in shock, but they recovered.

“No,” Aiden said.

“Aiden, please –“

“No,”

“You don’t even know him-“

“I know enough –“

“No you don’t! You only know what you think you saw.”

“What I think I saw?” He was across the room in a heartbeat, grabbing my arm and tugging me away from the door. So I did the only thing I saw logical. I twisted my arm free and walked outside. I didn’t take off anywhere, just stood beside Damon. The three boys looked at me quite puzzled.

“Is anything happening?”

“What?”

“Is anything happening?”

“No…” Aiden slowly answered. Eric’s eyes lit up, catching on to what I was doing.

“Then why can’t I go?”

“Because it’s him,”

“He’s not Jeremiah,” I stated coolly.

“That doesn’t matter –“

“Yes, it does. He is not Jeremiah, he is Damon. They are different people.”

“He’s a vampire!”

“So are we,” Eric said, touching his brother’s shoulder. “And we aren’t like Jeremiah. Damon may not be the nicest human on the planet, or worthy of Kris,” he said, making eye contact with the man beside me, “but he is not a Jeremiah.”

Aiden was steaming, but he said nothing. Finally he let out a heavy sigh, dropping his head to his chest. All was silent for a minute – one incredibly long minute.

He looked up, training his eyes on me. “One date, and you will be home by 11.”

“Midnight,” Damon elbowed me.

“11:30.”

“Deal,” I said, a smirk on my face.

“Let’s get you another drink, brother,” Eric said leading him back to the kitchen.

“And don’t shut that door!” both yelled at the same time.

“That was – “

“ Awesome!”

“I was going to say awkward, but –“

“Are you kidding? That went so well! So much better than when they found out about Jeremiah.”

“Wait, they found out?”

“Well…I kinda did too – I don’t remember much.” I said arching an eyebrow at Damon.

He eyebrows lowered, obviously upset by what I just said.

“Look, it’s in the past, don’t worry about it.”

“At least we get one date.”

I couldn’t help but smile. “Yes, very true.”

He pulled me close, burying his nose in my hair. “It’s not fair that you’re wearing that outfit.”

“And why would that be?”

“Because I would much prefer it if you could –“

“Brothers!” I hissed, but he only chuckled.

“Then I’ll leave that sentence up to interpretation.” He pulled away, looking at me once again. “We’ll figure out details tomorrow. I feel your brothers are not happy they you are still with me.”

“They’ll get over it.” I smirked up at him, giving his hand a squeeze. “Goodnight, Damon,”

He gently kissed my forehead. “Goodnight, Kris.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am SOOOOO Sorry that I have been away for so long! It's a little hard to write a romance when your long term relationship comes to an end. But I am back on the writing horse and, because it is summer, we'll be updating more frequently!

I want to thank all the new people for joining in and subscribing and all those who have stuck with me this far and through my long disappearances! It is you who I write for! Hope everything is going well for everyone!