Status: just getting started

Help, Love.

A bat.

*Ackerly

"Ackerly, do you remember owning the bat?" Dr. Karis asked again

I thought about it...the only silver bat I had owned, was the bat given to me by my father, a year before his death.

I had almost forgotten about it.
When I was younger, I was a very frail,little girl.
To top it all off, I tattled on other kids, and was afraid of germs.
This of course made me the bullies' target.

Daddy gave me the bat because he wanted me to have an interest in sports, his logic was that...if I was able to excel at sports, then I would be able to toughen up.

And because baseball was daddy's favorite sport he had started out introducing sports to me, with baseball.

I can still remember the day he gave me the bat.

"Hey Ackerly, I went out and bought you this bat today. We'll go out and play some ball in a little while alright?"

I remember nodding in excitement.

When we ventured out of the house to play ball, he jokingly said something along the lines of ..." Well, if it turns out you don't like baseball, you could just use the bat to take care of those kids who hurt you, because no one's going to mess with my little girl, isn't that right Ackerly?"

I remember laughing along to dad's humorous sentence.

"Yes, Dr. Karis, I do remember owning a bat. But what does that have to do with anything?"

Dr. Karis looked at me in horrified shock.

"You mean, you don't remember...you don't know the reason why I brought up the bat?"

I looked at her, trying to summon any memories of why a bat would have anything to do with me being here.

"No, I have no recollection...of what the bat has to do with anything...would you care to elaborate?"

Dr. Karis stared at me blankly.
"At this point in time, no further questions Ackerly, you are free to go get ready for lunch."

What could I have possibly done?

I thought about Avery momentarily, his greasy smile,
his confident persona and cringed. I hate him. I hate him. I hate him. Guys like him...they shouldn't...

I bumped in to the security guard.

He sneered at me.

I apologized.

He escorted me back to my room, so I could get ready for lunch...
in other words, sit on my bed and stare at a wall for 20 minutes.

My mind is a mess.