‹ Prequel: Sense of A Spark
Sequel: An Unbreakable Bond

Brand New Start

Dean -Point of View-

As my husband and my kids signed to each other, I was watching them from the chair on one side of the room. The doctor told us Angel would be able to leave tomorrow which made everyone more relaxed. If this is the kind of shit that happens when I get angry like I did, I really need to go to Anger Management sessions.

Chase doesn't deserve this at all, especially after the fit his father had and put him in the hospital. Greg, as hard-headed as he was, he didn't need to be going through this again, the feeling that the only person he has been around his entire life ending up in the hospital, wondering and hoping if his beloved little brother was going to be okay. Angel, most of all, doesn't need to be going through this. I know deep down there is something traumatic that happened to him that caused him to become mute. And after what had happened, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to never 'speak' to me again.

"Dean?" Chase said, breaking me from my thoughts. I looked up at him and he moved out of the way so I was able to look at Angel. Angel had a weak smile on his face, looking tired. He did something in sign which caused me to instantly look at Greg. Greg smiled and let out a small chuckle.

"He says you need to stop worrying so much," Greg said, pausing to see what Angel was doing now. "He also says if you're freaked about him not talking to you again, stop it. He still loves you no matter what. He knew the bill would freak you out so he wasn't all too surprised you reacted the way you did."

I looked at Angel and smiled, my eyes watering up a bit. I put my hand to my mouth and pulled it forward. Angel smiled bigger and nodded weakly. As he continued to look at me, I signed to him if he was tired and would like to go back to sleep. Angel nodded and looked at his brother and Chase, telling them everything will be fine and go back to normal tomorrow.

"We'll still be here when you wake up, sweetie," Chase whispered, kissing Angel's forehead. Angel looked up at him, grabbing his hand and squeezing it.

"It okay if I talk him to alone for a moment, please?" Greg asked, his eyes pleading. I nodded and stood up, pulling Chase back into the hallway. We closed the door and leaned on the wall.

"We've should have asked you before we left, Dean. I regret that, seeing dear Angel put in here," Chase said. I was going to say something, but I heard a voice coming from Angel's room ... and it wasn't Greg's.

"Angel's talking," I whispered, causing Chase to press his ear to the door. Chase looked at me, his eyes bright with happiness. As he reached for the doorknob, I grabbed his arm, causing him to look at me again. "No, there's a reason we're out here. We don't want to break their trust in us. When Angel wants to speak to us with his voice, he will. But let's not freak him out now, okay?"

"Good point," Chase said, walking over to me and resting his head on my chest. I held him like that for about ten minutes before Greg opened the door.

"Mom, Dad," he said as we looked at him. "Angel is ready to tell you why he's mute. And he's wanting to actually speak to tell you instead of signing." Chase looked up at me, smiled and then nodded.

We walked into the room and Angel was sitting up. "Mom, Dad," he said, causing Chase's tears to burst from his eyes. I smiled at Angel and he grinned right back. "It's been years since I've actually spoken normally, so forgive me if I mess something up," Angel said.

"Don't worry about it, son," I said, sitting down in a chair before him. He grabbed my hand and looked at my palm, and then the back of my hand.

Angel took a deep breath, looking from me to Chase, and then back to me. "It's a long story," he said, biting his lip.

"We have all the time in the world, sweetheart," Chase said, resting his head on the bed. Angel nodded and began to tell us.