Status: Active.

Just the Three of Us

003

Full Name: Lucas Black

Date of Birth: 10/21/1990

Address: 1749 SE Warner St.

Home Phone:(555)-555-4880

Cell Phone: (555)-555- 4379


There was, of course, more information on the application Luke had filled out, but this was really all Charlie was interested in. After all, it wasn't every day that an attractive stranger's personal information was presented to you on a silver platter.

On a strictly professional basis, he was definitely qualified for a job as someone who puts books in alphabetical order for a living. Overqualified actually. He'd worked in countless other book stores and libraries, and had never once been fired. She didn't have any reason not to hire him. Except for the fact that they really didn't need any help at the shop. Charlie and Milo pretty much had things under control by themselves; there wasn't really much to it. Just keep up with stock, have everything in it's place, and keep track of the finances.

She sat there for a minute or two, trying to think of an excuse for Milo, as to why she would have to hire Luke. She couldn't think of a single thing.

Until Milo came home.

--------------------------------

He really did look sick. Pale skin, sweating, all hunched over. The fever just confirmed the fact. It took everything Charlie had not to smile. It wouldn't be appropriate, considering, but she'd finally found her excuse.

Milo stumbled into the bedroom and groaned as he flopped down on the bed.

"Honey, I don't think I'm gonna be able to come in to work for the next few days." He looked up at her apologetically. "I hate leaving you at work by yourself."

She just looked at him for a second, then walked back into the living room. Charlie grabbed Luke's application and brought it to Milo. When she handed it to him, he looked confused.

"He came in today looking for a job," she explained. "I wasn't going to hire him, but now I think I should. I could use the extra help."

He didn't answer for a minute, and Charlie thought he was going to argue. Then he looked at her and smiled.

"Well, then I guess you got lucky. Go ahead and hire him."

"Great. I'll make the call."

She leaned in and give him a small kiss, took Luke's application and left the room, pulling the door shut behind her so Milo could get some rest.

--------------------------------

Charlie sat on the couch, cellphone in hand, and took a deep breath before dialing the number.

It rang a few times, then he answered. "Yeah?"

"Uh, hi, it's Charlie. From the book store."

It took him a second to answer. "Oh, yeah, hey.. What's up?"

"I'm just calling to let you know you got the job. Be at the shop tomorrow morning at 8."

"Great. Thanks. I'll be there."

Before she had the chance to say anything else, he hung up.

Not one for conversation.

With that, she plugged her phone into the charger, changed into her pajamas, and headed off to bed.

For the first time in a long time, she had a peaceful, dreamless sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
So.. yeah, this chapter's kinda short, and like nothing happens, but I felt like I needed something in the middle here before I could start writing where Luke is working at the shop. Plus I kinda wanted it to be just Charlie and Luke alone for a while before Milo came back.. So.. yeah. Anyway, the next chapter will be more interesting.