A Twist of Fate

Almost a miscarriage

An hour later, I lay in a hospital bed, while Jake sat next to me and held my hand. The doctor was flipping through my file, before she spoke.

“So, Mrs. Bauer, have you had any recent stressful situations?” She looked at me over the rim of her glasses.

“Yeah.” I nodded, “Today.”

Jake looked concerned, “Did meeting your brothers again stress you out that much?”

“I guess you could say that.” I said, knowing full well that it was kissing Frank that sent me over the top.

The pain was now gone, and I felt a little better, except that my cheeks felt burning hot still. The doctor, was about to tell us the problem.

“Well, it seems as if your body reacted negatively because you’re pregnant and the stress was hurting your baby. We see this in a lot of early pregnancies. Women assume that they can live the stressful life they once did, and it has negative effects to the baby. What you felt was the beginnings of a miscarriage.” The doctor pushed her glasses up her nose, and flipped through the file a little more, “Now, I want you to cut out anything stressful, and in your case, I specifically mean work.” She should’ve said ‘Frank Iero’. That would have been better.

“We’re going to do an ultra-sound, now. To be sure.” The doctor said as a technician rolled in an ultra-sound machine.

It only took about five minutes for them to expose the swelled area of my stomach and apply the cold, gel crap.

As the technician rolled the wand over my stomach, we watched as the baby came into view.

Jake squeezed my hand for reassurance, and I smiled over at him.

I’m positive that I wouldn’t want to share this with anyone else.