A Twist of Fate

“I don’t want to do this anymore.”

I was asleep on the couch when I felt the first small pain in my stomach. I awoke with a start, and Jenn’s eyes darted over to me.

“What’s wrong?” She asked. I shook my head.

“Nothing.” I answered.

She looked back over at the TV screen. I leant forward as best I could and placed my hand on my lower back. I felt another pain, much stronger this time. I cringed and let out a distressed cry.

“Okay, sweetheart you are not okay.” Jenn rushed over to my side in an instant and took my free hand, “You’re in labor. I’ll call Frank and Gee and tell them to get back here.”

She left me and went into the kitchen where the phone was.

I felt another ripple of pain move through me. This was so much worse than I could have ever imagined. The pain left me unable to focus on anything else but getting this child out of me.

I heard Jenn’s voice in the kitchen”…Yeah, she’s in labor…Okay, well get here quickly…”

She returned a couple of minutes later and sat by my side, “Squeeze my hand when it hurts.”

I nodded and just then, I was squeezing her hand so hard, she was wincing in pain.

“I’m sorry.” I said. She chuckled a bit.

“Don’t worry about it, just breathe.” I felt a warm liquid run down my legs and looked down to see my pants stained. Jenn saw too, “Oh, crap, your water broke.”

I leaned my head on her shoulder and she comforted me a bit, “I don’t want to do this anymore.” I whined.

She laughed a bit, “Don’t say that. The finished product is defiantly worth it.”

She stroked my hair like a mother would, and I realized that’s why I liked her so much. She was so motherly that she seemed to replace my mother, and help me through the times I would normally need her. Jenn was this mother figure in my life, and I just realized it.

I breathed through another contraction, and heard people rushing through the front door.

Frank kneeled down in front of me, “Emma.” He was smiling, “I’m gonna help you to the car.” Then he added, “Aren’t you exited? We’re gonna have a baby today.”