Status: Done :)

Too Good to Be True

The Kids From Yesterday

I paused on the doorstep to the shithole. I could hear a familiar voice roaring from the inside. I gulped, and felt myself begin to shake with fear. Still, I slowly turned the handle and pushed open the front door. Oh god no. Please. Not now...not when things started to go well again...

I winced as Carl leaned down to Tommy's face, pointing a finger in it and screaming at him. I couldn't even make out what he was saying. I watched Tommy step back, and shiver in fear. I couldn't help but do the same. Fiona, I would scream in her face if I had to, but Carl? I was often too scared to even open my mouth to him.

"Dad?" I whispered. My voice was raspy. Calling on him was like walking under a giant's foot - you're gonna get crushed one way or another. I had to do it though. I had to get poor Tommy out of here. I flinched as his head snapped toward me, his eyes narrowing. I nodded my head secretly to Tommy, gesturing for him to get to safety. "I...I...didn't think...you'd be h-home..." I stammered. The fear increased as Carl approached.

"Why? Is there a problem with that?" he snarled, getting closer and closer to my face.

"N-no..." It was pure lie, of course he knew that, but I'd survive saying the truth to his face. "I think...you should leave Tommy alone Dad." I mentally screamed at myself. WAS I FUCKIN NUTS!? A hand swung over and landed on my cheek, knocking me back. I groaned in pain, and his eyes met with mine, his face just inches away from mine.

"I don't give jack shit what you think," he spat. He put an arm behind my shoulder and pushed me towards to the stairs. "Get the fuck outta my sight you fucking slag." I didn't even hesitate. I walked quickly upstairs, and into Tommy's bedroom. I saw him sitting with his knees up, his head buried in them. He was rocking back and forth, and I could hear the silent sobs. We'd both learned that unless you wanted worse, you don't let Fiona or Carl hear you cry. I closed the door and knelt beside him. He looked up at me, and the fear in his eyes dissipated into relief.

"Thank god you're ok Hailey," he cried and leapt into my arms. I cried along with him, holding him tight. Tommy was one of the only things that kept me living. As long as he was alive, hell would freeze over twice before seperating him from me.

When he'd calmed down, I helped him into his bed. It was quite early, but he should get some sleep, the poor thing. I tucked him into his bed and he smiled.

"Thanks sis,"

"Don't worry about it kiddo," I smiled back. "Now try and get some sleep. I won't let Carl or Fiona disturb you." he gulped a little, but nodded.

"Hey sis?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you sing to me?" I smiled. He loved it when I sung to him, and of course, I loved to see the smile on his face. I knew just what song to sing. I took a breath and began singing softly...

"And now this could be the last of all the rides we take
So hold on tight and don't look back
We don't care about the message or the rules they make
We'll find you when the sun goes black
And you want to live forever in the lights you make
When we were young we used to say
That you only hear the music when your heart begins to break
Now we are the kids from yesterday
"

I smiled seeing his eyes beginning to close -he would dose off any minute. I hummed the rest of it in my head, smiling to myself. How could four people making music make things so much easier? Removing myself from the floor, I crept out of his room and closed the door. I could hear Carl raging at Fiona, accompanied by the smashing of bottles. I didn't pay too much attention; it was normal to me. I'd just hoped it wouldn't come back so quick...

I lay down on my bed and sighed. The past two days had seemed like my whole life. It still seemed like a dream; it would be a while before I caught up to the reality of things. I smiled, remembering my encounter with the guys of MCR that night....last night. That was last night!? God...

I decided to put myself out of the misery I was in and call Iona. She always knew how to make someone feel better - it was just her personality. However, as soon as I picked up my phone, it shook in my hands. I gasped a little in fright, before looking at who the text was from.

It seems Iona isn't the only one who could put me out of my misery.

"Hey, heard from Gee that we're coming around to your school. Can't wait to see you again :)

Frank X."
♠ ♠ ♠
brfvgjieldfnbjilvj

HERE THEY COME!!!

Title Credit, and the song Hailey sang is, of course, The Kids From Yesterday by My Chemical Romance :)