Status: Done :)

Too Good to Be True

Stay With Me

"I know where we're going, Hailey," Tommy said quietly, and I gripped the steering wheel tighter. I still wasn't used to driving on the right hand side of the road, but after all, I barely did any driving in Scotland - I had my license, but no car.

"You do?" I barely got it out, slowly turning a corner. I felt thankful that Camille had just given me directions, rather than actually coming.

"I heard you talking eariler...the phone call," I sighed sadly, and shot a quick glance at him.

"You know this doesn't mean we're never going to see each other again..." He looked up at me with sad eyes. "We don't even know that it means you're getting taken away."

"Think about it, Hailey. I need someone to look after me, and you're not even 18 yet...." I siged sadly, realising it was right. There was a silence for another minute, before we pulled up to it.

"Here we are..." I breathed sadly, and I stepped out of the car. I took Tommy's hand, walking into the unfamiliar social services centre. The blue and white walls surprisingly helped to lighten the atmosphere, but it didn't remove the overwhelming worry that caused me to tremble. Unwillingly.

"Can I help you?" A young woman asked from behind the counter. She smiled and I couldn't help but to return a weak smile.

"Um, yes...we were to come here at 3... our names are Hailey and Tommy Daniels?" The woman typed away on her computer, and stopped, smiling once more.

"You're in the third room on the left with Mrs Doran, you're free to go in now," I nodded in thanks, and we both walked over to the door. I looked at Tommy and sighed, and pushed the door open once he'd nodded in approval.

"Ms Daniels, please take a seat." Mrs Doran was an older woman, around late 40s. She was dressed in a slim black suit. Her black hair was tied into a ponytail, glasses perched on the bridge of her nose. Once we had both sat down in front of her desk, she looked up at us, and cleared her throat, setting her papers to the side. "Now, just to clear things up, you are 17 years old, yes?"

"Yes...18 in 3 months." She nodded, although I knew it meant nothing to her. I knew from the minute she first spoke she was nowhere near as kind as the receptionist woman.

"And you," she looked at Tommy, "-are 7?" He looked at her unsurely, but nodded. She cleared her throat once more, and clasped her hands, leaning over the table. "Ms Daniels, do you understand the law of the united states?" I stared at her, mouth open for a few seconds, before trying to think of what to say. The truth might not have been the best thing to say, but in the end, I guessed it was all I could say.

"No. I have only just moved here."

"I see. And you are staying with whom?"

"My five friends, Iona-"

"I don't need names," She interrupted, and started writing something down. I fought the temptation to glare at her, not wanting to get on her bad side right now. "The law of the united states of america states that for a person to live alone, they must be at least of 18 years of age. This law also applies for an individual taking care of another." She leaned over once more. "In order for Tommy to be legally your responsibilty, you must adopt him. Even for when you are 18 years old, there is an adoption process which could take anything from a few months to a year. Tommy must be placed in suitable care-"

"He's not going to a foster home," I said, trying to keep my cool, but it ended up coming out as somewhat of a growl.

"Now, I didn't say that he would be going to a foster home, did I now?" I sighed.

"Then what are you saying?"

"We've made a few phone calls, and you have an aunt in Los Angeles. We have agreed to help with costs of flights over the country for picking up Tommy and take him home."

"His home is with me!" I felt my voice increasing.

"Ms Daniels, you are not a suitable guardian-"

"Bullshit!" The word spilled out of my mouth without me realising. "You don't know how much we've been through together!"

"MS DANIELS!" She shouted, reminding me that I had just swore in front of Tommy. He squeezed my hand, and looked at me, showing that he was ok. "What exactly have you been through!?" My mouth opened, ready to spill the details, until I realised something. The things our parents did to us were illegal, even here. There would be no doubt a trial, and all that shit. I couldn't bear to go through all of that, I couldn't bear to let Tommy go through all of that. I just wanted us to put it behind us.

"Nothing."

"Well, then. Your aunt Josie will be coming to pick Tommy up tomorrow afternoon."

"No," She looked up at me in confusion.

"I'm sorry?"

"No." I looked up at her with harsh eyes. "You can't do this. You can't take him away from me." I felt the emotion beginning to build up, and I knew the tears would come soon.

"Ms Daniels..."

"No! You don't understand! Tommy means more to me than anything in the world!"

"We must abide by the law!"

"Please don't take me away from Hailey!" Tommy cried, we both turned to him, and I saw that he was in tears. My heart broke in two, and I immediately pulled him onto my lap and hugged him tight. I screwed my eyes shut, wishing this was all just a dream and I could wake up. However, the sound of Mrs Doran's voice said otherwise.

"I'm sorry, what must be done, must be done. Goodbye." With that, she pointed to the door. I stood up, still holding Tommy, and left the room. I left the building without paying any notice to anyone, only consoling Tommy and getting out into the car. I sat Tommy in the front, and caressed his face.

"Sssh," He looked up at me with glimmering eyes.

"I don't want to go away sissy," His voice made him sound even younger than he was, and it broke my heart even more. Trying extremely hard not to give into my emotions and completely break down in front of Tommy, I hit the gas pedal and started our drive home.
♠ ♠ ♠
OH MY GOD, I'VE REACHED 500 READERS!
Is this real!? Have 500 people actually read my story? oh my god :')
I can't thank you guys enough, this is beyond amazing...I can't even, oh my god :')
THANK YOU! I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH! <3