She Wasn't Afraid.

Three.

Walking around the hospital in a blur putting fresh towels in rooms, I yawned for the tenth time that day.

There were kids running around, but some could barely move, I entered one of the rooms and saw a little girl sleeping, not wanting to wake her I crept slowly to put the towel in her room and collect the plate of food which still had most of the food on it.

Just as I turned to leave she spoke.

"Hi, I'm Hannah" She said softly, smiling.

"Allie" I smiled cautiously back.

Hannah was tiny, her skin was pale and she wore a long bandana on her head because she didn't have any hair, it was sad to see a little girl like that.

"Do you wanna come sit, so you don't have to keep handing out towels" The smile didn't leave her face.

I put down the food tray and sat down on the chair next to her bed, not knowing what to say but she spoke first.

"How old are you? I'm 11, turning 12 in a few weeks" she said happily.

I smiled "Wow 12 is pretty big, I'm 19"

We talked for an hour, just about music, movies...everything, her sickness never came up.

"So Allie do you go to college?" She said sitting up a bit more.

"Err...no, I just work and hang out with friends" I looked at her and all she did was smile and nod.

"Anyway, I have to go, don't want to get fired from volunteer work" I joked.

She laughed "Will you visit me tomorrow?"

I nodded before leaving the room and continuing with the rest of my day, but all I could think of was Hannah how a young girl could be so happy when she was sick.