She Wasn't Afraid.

Seven.

I was walking through the hospital looking at all the other children there, most of them were crying, a few were screaming in pain.

"I don't want to hurt anymore mummy!" a little boy screamed, it echoed through the hallways, half of his body was burnt, his step father had gotten drunk and left the 7 year old to make his own dinner, he didn't know what he was doing and the oven exploded.

I asked the nurses how they deal with all the children crying, some losing their whole family in accidents, they beg for the mum or dad and the nurses have to give them the news that they'll never see them again.

They could never answer, it was hard all the time, I made friends with one nurse, her name was Susannah she was 28 years old, she had a husband and two little twin boys.

"So Allison I see you've grown close to Hannah, isn't she wonderful" Susannah smiled at me, she had a sympathetic look in her eyes though.

I just smiled back at her, Susannah also talked to Hannah a lot, she usually read to her because Hannah was to fragile and the books she chose to read were really long.

"Allie, hey" Owen yelled out to me, I turned and waved at him.

He walked up to me.

"Just went to see my sister, but she's sleeping" Owen scratched his head, looking around the hospital.

"Do you want hang out with me then Owen, save you waiting in boredom" I laughed.

He happily agreed as we began to walk around the hospital.

I learnt a lot about Owen that day, his music taste was much like mine, we did have a few arguments over movies and books. I found out he is studying medicine in College, he made that decision when Hannah was first diagnosed with Leukemia.

"Where is your mum, I haven't seen her around at all" I asked, hoping I wouldn't upset him. By now we were sitting down on the seats outside Hannah's room.

"She umm..." He ran a hand through his hair "She comes in but mainly when Hannah is sleeping, my mum can't really handle it right now, especially with the doctos asking her about arraignments" he scoffed.

I guess it would be hard on a parent seeing their youngest child in hospital, so pale and weak, always smiling as if she's trying to be brave but her eyes tell a different story, you could see she was scared, but not of leaving the world, she's scared to leave Owen and her mother.