Status: Sequel has been posted.

Radio Love Song

Caroline

In a perfect world, none of this would have ever happened. Jesse wouldn't be the type of guy he is. Gabe would be my boyfriend. Grandma would still be alive. In a perfect world, I wouldn't be lying here in this room. I wouldn't have tried to kill myself. My parents and my brother wouldn't be hurting nor would my friends be. I would have a relationship with my sister. I know she's not even here. She would probably be glad if I died. But, this isn't a perfect world. We make-do with what we're given. Perfect worlds don’t exist.

* * * * *

Everyone quietly sat around the room as Jenna slept, or so they thought. She was really awake but she wanted to put off the questioning for as long as she could. She wasn't ready for all the questions that they already knew the answers to. Her eyes flew open when she heard Gabe's voice.

"She's awake," her mom announced to the room.

"I've been awake," Jenna said in a hoarse voice that almost wasn't audible.

"Honey, we need to talk about this."

"Mom, not right now please. I just wanna talk to Gabe."

"All right," she said and waved Gabe over.

"Hey," Gabe said as he reached for her hand. Jenna sat up as best as she could and pulled Gabe down to her level and kissed him.

"I love you, Gabe. I love you so much."

"I love you, too. Just don't ever do that again, I was so scared."

"I know, I'm sorry."

"Promise me."

"I promise," she said and kissed him again.

"Okay, good."

Even though it took a while, she eventually warmed up to everyone. She still wouldn't answer any questions as to why she did it. It simply wasn't on her list of things to talk about. After a while, a nurse came in to let them know that non family members had to leave since visiting hours were over. She said her goodbyes to Travis and Sharon.

"I'll come by tomorrow, okay?" Gabe told her.

"All right," Jenna said and kissed him goodbye. She watched the three of them leave her room.

"Are you doing all right? Do you need me to get anything?" her mom asked as she put her hand on her arm.

"I'm fine, mom," Jenna told her.

"Okay," her mom responded and kissed her forehead. They all looked up when they heard the door open. Daniel and their sister walked in. Jenna's eyes locked with her sister's. Everyone quietly filed out of the room and left the two girls alone.

"So now you're trying to kill yourself for attention?"

"Why are you here?"

"I'm not here because I want to be, I'm here because Danny asked me to come."

"If you're going to come at me with stuff like that, then you can leave."

"Maybe you shouldn't be doing stuff like this then."

"You don't know what goes on in my life so don't act like you know the whole story!"

* * * * *

"Gabe?" Caroline asked as she walked into his apartment.

"In the kitchen!" She walked into the kitchen to see him putting away groceries.

"Aww, you bought your own groceries, how cute!"

"Shut up."

"So, how was your day?"

"It was...it turned out better than I expected. How was yours?"

"I saw my family today."

"Yeah, how'd it go?"

"Yeah, whatever, I'd rather not talk about it."

"Okay then..." Gabe let it go. He was too busy thinking about his day anyway.

"Have you ever wondered why some people do the things they do?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, if they do it for attention?"

"Sometimes, maybe. Why?"

"No reason. I was just thinking about my sister." Caroline looked at her watch. "Crap! I'm about to be late for work." She stopped Gabe on his way to the pantry and was about to kiss him but he pulled away. Neither of them said anything for a moment.

"Sorry, I just can't," he said.

"No, whatever," she said and left his apartment.

* * * * *

After a couple days in the hospital, they finally let Jenna go home. After much arguing with dad, they all agreed that Jenna would live with Daniel. Mr. and Mrs. Kent wanted her to come home, Daniel wanted her with him and Jenna wanted to live with Gabe. She was very adamant about her freedom and privacy. She knew she wouldn't get that had she lived at home with mom and dad. They got her settled in at Daniel's place and then she went to Gabe's place.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Gabe said as he pulled her onto his lap. "I don't know what I would do if I lost you."

"You would move on with your life," she told him. "You would move on to get married and have lots of babies."

"I don't want to marry and have lots of babies with just anyone. I want it to be you."

"Well, I wouldn't want you too anyway," she said as she put her arms around his neck.

"I love you, Jenna."

Then the door opened. Jenna and Caroline just stared at each other. Caroline's mouth fell open.

"Seriously?" Caroline shouted.

"Seriously what?" Gabe asked as he put Jenna on the couch and stood up. He walked towards her.

"That's her, the one?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Gabe! She's my sister!"

Gabe's eyes went wide, "Oh for real? I didn't know that."

"Yeah, well, now you do. So that's it?"

"Pretty much, I mean, I like you and all but I love her. I really want to be with her."

"Whatever, Gabe." She turned and stormed out. Gabe turned to look at Jenna. She was standing with her arms crossed over her chest.

"I don't even know what to say to you."

"We were never serious. I never loved her."

"How do I know you're not going to do this to me?"

"Because I would never do that to you, I really do love you. I love you more than anyone I've ever loved."

“Okay, I’ll let you have the benefit of the doubt this time.”

She didn't want to be mad at him anymore so she let it go. So he slept with her sister, big deal. She had him now and that's all that mattered.