Status: Sequel has been posted.

Radio Love Song

Fight For Us

Jenna turned onto her side and looked at the time. It was 1:36 in the morning. She knew Jesse was home. She knew he knew that she was with another man. More like a man since men don't beat their women. Boys do. She made no attempt to even leave. There was no point in rushing home just to get smacked around. Timing would have made no difference.

Gabe woke up from the sudden loss of heat. He instantly figured that Jenna had left. He thought nothing more of it and changed his position. Then he realized she was still there. He leaned over her to see if she was awake and she was.

"What are you still doing here?" he asked. It came out wrong.

"You want me to leave?" She sat up.

"No, that's not what I meant."

"I know," she said. "Honestly, it won't matter what time I leave. Either way, it'll be the same when I get home."

"Then don't go home."

"Gabe, it's not that easy." She leaned over and turned the light on. "I can't just never go back home."

"You call that a home? Seriously, that is not a home. Well, what can I do to help? Don't tell me ‘nothing’ because there is something."

"I don't know," she admitted.

"Well, you think about that. Until then, let's go back to sleep." Gabe reached over her and shut the light off. She waited until he laid back down to lay down herself. He put his arms securely around her and she felt safe. Something she only felt with him. She felt Gabe's breathing steady against her neck and she knew he had fallen back to sleep. Jenna wished that morning would never officially come. Gabe had yet to realize that this would be their last night together for quite awhile.

* * * * *

Gabe watched Jenna tie her shoes and then stand in front of him. He didn't even say anything and she started to cry.

"What's wrong?"

"I don't want to miss you," she said as he put his arms around her.

"I'm gonna be right here. You know that. You know you can always call me if you need anything."

"Not anymore."

"Don't say that."

"How could you possibly think that Jesse won't be mad about this? That's really stupid."

"I never said that he wouldn't be mad or that I thought he wouldn't be. I honestly do think he will be mad. You though, you need to fight back. Don't let him win this one. Fight for us."

Jenna nodded her head.

"Remember, he can't win unless you let him."

"Okay," She whispered and pulled away from him. He walked her downstairs and out to her car.

"Make sure you call me or whatever," he said before kissing her. "Remember what I said."

"All right," she said and got into her car and drove away. When she was halfway down the street, she called Gabe.

"Miss me already?"

"I just wanted to tell you that I love you." She hung up without waiting for a reply. She didn't want to know if he loved her back or not. She would rather not know considering the fact that she knew it would be months before they saw each other again.

"Was that your girlfriend?" Caroline, Gabe's neighbor, asked walking up to him. She had only seen the back of her.

"Yes-no...kind of."

"Kind of?"

"We're seeing each other but she's hiding it from her boyfriend."

"So she's cheating on her boyfriend with you?"

"It's complicated and I'd rather not talk about it."

"It's that serious, huh? Do you really like her?"

"Yeah, I do actually."

"The crazy things you get girls to do Gabe." Caroline shook her head and headed for her car. "I'll see you later Mr. Saporta."

* * * * *

Jenna stopped in front of her door and took a deep breath. She knew she was about to walk into hell. Jesse looked up at her when she walked in but didn't say anything. He continued to flip through channels as if nothing happened and nothing was about to happen. Jenna changed her clothes and then cautiously went into the living room where Jesse was.

"Where were you last night?" Jesse asked already knowing the answer. He wanted to hear her say it.

"I was with Gabe," she responded quietly, looking at the floor.

"And what were you doing with Gabe?"

She didn't answer.

"Jenna!" he shouted.

"I'm sorry. I really am sorry."

"Sorry isn’t good enough; sorry is never good enough." He pushed her against the wall but not before he slapped her.

Fight for us. He can't win unless you let him. Gabe's words repeated in her head. She pushed Jesse off of her and ran down the hallway. He caught up with her. He twisted her arm behind her back.

"What the fuck are you doing?" He looked at his watch to check to see how much time he had. He pulled her off the floor and to the bedroom.

"Jesse, no! I'm sorry! I won't do it again! I promise." It didn't matter. He forced her intotheir his bed. Once he was done with her, he threw her into the closet. She wasn't going to stand there and cry and beg him to let her out. He wouldn't do it. She knew that he would laugh and then leave the apartment like he always did. She only got closet treatment whenever Jesse was feeling ruthless which wasn't often but it was enough. Then all she heard was silence. So she sat in the corner and waited. She began to wonder if Gabe was really worth it.

* * * * *

"Where's Jenna?" Ted asked.

"At home," Jesse said while going through her cell phone. Then it vibrated, indicating that she had a text message. Jesse opened the message.

"Are you all right? Please let me know that you're okay."

Jesse texted Gabe back.

"Yeah I'm fine."

"Okay. Awesome, is he home?"

"No. Why?"

"You should come meet me and Sharon and Travis at the park. They have Travis' nephew for a couple hours."

"Yeah, sure. What park are you guys at?"

"O'Brien."

"Okay. I'll be there in ten." Jesse sent the message.

"Where are we going?" Ted asked Jesse as they both turned around.

"We are going to go meet a friend of Jenna's." Jesse erased the text messages and pocketed the phone. He had found a couple of other texts from between the two that Jenna had forgotten to erase. They followed the winding path that lead to the park. They could hear kids laughing and screaming at each other. Jesse found the three sitting on a bench on the opposite end of the park.

"What's Jesse doing here?" Sharon whispered to Travis.

"What the..."

No one said anything when Jesse and Ted walked up to them. They wanted him to speak first.

"Gabe, if you know what's best for Jenna, leave her alone."

"Where is she?"

"Don't worry about her. I'm taking care of her."

"How can I not worry about her when she lives with a jackass like you? You don't deserve someone like her."

"Save it for someone who actually cares because I don't. Just leave my girlfriend alone."

"Jesse, what did you do with her?" Sharon asked, noticing the fresh scratch marks on his neck.

"She's fine. Trust me."

"I have no reason to trust you. Not when you smack my best friend around. I'm going to call Daniel and have him check up on her."

"Go ahead."

"Maybe I should call Mr. Kent too."

"Like I said, go ahead," Jesse said and walked away.

"What did you do with her? I thought you were done with that shit," Ted said.

"I didn't do anything to her," Jesse lied. "Let's drop it now." Jesse went home after that. Jenna knew that if she wanted to make it out of this relationship alive, she'd have to let go of the one thing that she decided to live for.

* * * * *

Gabe woke up the next day to what he thought of as one of the worst texts of his life.

"Gabe, we can't see each other anymore. It would be for the best. I need to deal with Jesse on my own. You shouldn't have to. I should have never pulled you into this. I love you. I really do. Maybe one day we can be together but that time isn't right now. So just forget about me."