Love Never Gone

The Funeral

Catalina’s fingers gracefully danced as the placidly tapped down on the black and white piano keys. The strings inside the piano harmonized in sound as the keys hammered down them with a soft touch. She focused hard on hitting the right keys, even though she never had to focus so hard. She would look over the piano with a lovable smile and wink her eccentric cherry blossom pink orbs. Now her crimson hues glimmered with tears as she glared only at the sheets. Catalina’s father always told her that piano could wash away any sadness; now the tears that Catalina had held in for nearly seven years, were slithering down her soft rosy cheeks. Her tears dripped down her cheek, soaked up at her shin, then trickled down to her exposed thighs; no one dared to stop her from playing.

The crowd was very quite, all in black, a few also shedding tears like Catalina was. A priest stood over a decorated coffin and silently gave prayers as the coffin was lowered. Only the sounds of the singing piano and a few whimpers of people who cried for a lost loved one were heard as the coffin was lowered. Moonlight Sonata, it was Catalina’s favorite song, and her fathers. Now she played it at his funeral, what once gave Catalina great joy in playing, now reminded her of the emptiness and unknown she would face alone.

She stayed behind at the end of the services; the others had left after paying their respects, a few tried to make Catalina feel better by complementing her skills. She never smiled, she responded to all of them the same way, “My mother was better.” she ran her fingers on top of the keys, her watery orbs gazing at her father's coffin, “It was his favorite song too.”

The sun cast a weak gloomy shimmer of orange in the clouded sky as it slowly set behind the horizon. Only Catalina and the priest stood by the grave stone; one of the mourners had packed the piano and driven it off to her packed house. Catalina said nothing as she glared down at the gravestone with her father's name on it, “Kestrel Rovich,” the stone also had a quote, “A loving father that will be missed and never forgotten.” Catalina looked directly next to her father's gravestone, another one stood next to it. This gravestone was much older with a few cracks and grass growing along its edges. The older gravestone read, “Lillian Catalina Rovich,” the quote under the name barely read, “A loving wife that made the greatest sacrifice for the daughter she loved.” Catalina let the final tears roll down her cheeks.. then, slowly smiled...