Love Never Gone

Five Years Later

“She does this everyday, has been since she came here four years ago.” Two men gazed through a one way glace, both holding paper folders behind their backs. They watched a beautiful girl with a white gown with plain white silk pants. The girl played a perfect conditioned black grand piano with her eyes closed, her perky lips mumbled something the two doctors couldn't hear even with the enhanced hearing the speakers provided.

“She plays the same songs?” One doctor flipped through the folder.

“Usually not, we provide her with different songs and piano books, other wise she says that 'her parents are getting bored.' So we pick out different books and songs for her to play every few weeks. But strange, every time she plays, the last song she plays is the infamous Moonlight Sonata.” The two watched the girl come to the last few stanzas and Moonlight Sonata came to an eerie finish, “Watch this.” Both doctors watched the girl sit slightly for a few seconds before her lips stopped shivering inaudible words and opened her cherry pink hues. She glared down at keys with a emotionless stare. Then, like something flips a switch in the girls body, she turned from a calm sweet girl into a psychotic monster. The girl pounces to her feet, letting the bench fling into the wall behind her. She balled her right hand into a fist and began to slam it roughly down on the highest keys of the piano.
The speakers screamed and crackled a high pitch every time the girl punched the piano.

Both doctors winced at the ear racking sound before the veteran doctor flipped the speakers off. Now they watched her silently pound away at the keys. The new doctor nervously glanced at the original doctor, “Aren't you going to stop her?”

“No,” The veteran doctor turned away from the window and waved the other doctor over to the steel table, “She will do this for about ten minutes.”

“Mr. Len, the girl is clearly hurting herself.” The younger doctor sighed as he sat down and watched the girl mercilessly attack the piano.

“Well, Mr. Rohas, she has been doing this very thing for months now, we tried to stop her the first time she started, but she nearly killed the man who tried to stop her. That employee is still in the hospital now, in a coma.” Len flipped his folder open, “After she slammed our employee's head into the steel door, she said and I quote, “Just let me do this! I cooperate with everything you assholes say! Just let me do what I want in my piano room.”

“So you just let her win?” Rohas never removed his eyes from the girl, “She's going to hurt herself. She already hurt one person-”

“Three actually.”

“Three people?” He turned his gaze from the girl to Len, “How?”

“When she was first administrated, she took down two nurses because we refused to allow her to play, so we brought in her piano. She plays for an hour everyday.”

“Why was she admitted in the first place? What happened to the poor girl?”

Len sighed as he flopped a few pages trough the folder, “That is a story worthy of a novel.”

“She's going to be my patient after you retire, I should know this.” Rohas glanced at the pounding girl.

“Her name is Catalina Rovich, her mother died giving birth to her, her father never told Catalina until later on. When her mother died, they came to America for her funeral, but that was it. Once the funeral ended, Kestrel, her father, took Catalina to Russia, his home country. He apparently told Catalina stories about how great her mother was; so the poor child dedicated her life to being like the mother she never knew. The more things she did that mirrored her mother, the happier Kestrel would be; it wasn't enough that Catalina looked just like the woman. Piano was the greatest accomplishment Lillian had; so Catalina was playing piano before she could walk.” Len took a deep breath while flipping through a few pages, “When Catalina was ten, Kestrel was diagnosed with terminal heart cancer; he again didn't tell the girl. Instead, Kestrel told Catalina the truth about her mother; that she died giving birth to her. He convinced Catalina that it was time to go home where Lillian was buried. They lived here for two more years before he passed on. Catalina didn't know her father had cancer until the doctors told her how he died.” Len glanced over at Catalina, still pounding furiously at the piano, “Anyway, after her father's death, Catalina was placed in foster care. The orphanage followed up on psychiatric examinations; she seemed fine, coped with the pain like any other child in her situation. Until her foster parents called the police and called her in as missing; they found the girl at her parents' grave site with both her wrists cut. She was only thirteen at the time, and has been here ever since.”

“Wow,” Rohas had his share of horrible cases, but Catalina's topped his list. He slowly stood up and watched Catalina, “I feel sorry.”

“Such a waste, she had a lot going for her.” Len joined Rohas and watched Catalina pound away for a few more minutes. She came to a sudden stop as she huffed and gasped for air. She took a few more seconds to recover her breath before she walked over to the glass. Her lips gave a sweet smile as she gently tapped on the mirror window then gave the two doctors a thumbs up. Len grinned eagerly as he turned to Rohas, “Show time Mr. Rohas, ready to meet Catalina?”

The nervous young doctor nodded slightly, “Y-Yeah, she can't be that bad.”