Stone Door

Noise

CRASH! The sound of my mother dropping another plate yanked me out of my dreams and back into my frigid reality. I had been dreaming about California, my old home, and the way the summer sun would beam onto my back and warm me to my toes.
The feeling was fading fast. I tried desperately to hold onto the dream but it slipped away; leaving me alone in freezing Minnesota. I climbed out of bed and shuddered as my feet hit the icy cold floor. Why, oh WHY, couldn't we have gotten a house with CARPET? I looked in the mirror. My short brown hair (from my dad) was all over the place. I quickly brushed it flat, threw on some clothes and went down for breakfast.
"Sleep good honey?" my mother's melodic voice drifted out to me from behind a mountainous pile of dirty dishes. No one in my family liked to clean so almost every surface was covered in stuff! I looked down at my now luke warm oatmeal and said "Sure". I began devouring my oatmeal.
My little brother, Andy, stuck his head through the cluttered door way. I took one look at him and KNEW he wanted something. He hadn't brushed his hair so it was sticking out in frizzy red strands and was giving the pile of plated that where concealing mom a big sad stare with his dark green eyes. Sure enough after a bit he asked "Mommy?" I knew he was gonna get what he wanted. "If it's not to much trouble" Come on mom! Fight him! Don't give in!
My mom stepped out from behind the mountain of dishes, giving up her only defense. "Could I have cookies for breakfast?" I looked at Andy then back at mom. With her red hair being much like Andy's they looked more like siblings with a lot of age difference between them. I could see her struggling to not give in but Andy was starting to sniffle (I swear this kid has a future in acting) and his big green eyes began to tear up.
"Don't do it mom" I muttered under my breath. There was a long silence. Andy got closer and closer to tears. If mom didn't say no now he would start crying and she would have to give in! "Well," my mom looked away. NO! She was giving in! "OK, but eat your oatmeal first."
That was the best she could do? Make him eat his sugar filled oatmeal before devouring a box of Oreos? I sighed and shoveled another spoon full of oatmeal into my mouth. I looked over at the clock and almost spat out my meal! It was 10:30! I was late! I chugged my O.J. (no pulp) and sprinted for the door, rustling Andy's hair and yelling a quick "Cya!" at my mom as I pulled on my boots and winter coat and headed out into the cold.

---
I sprinted for the entire 4 miles to Grandma's house. I had agreed to take care of little Sam (my 6 year old cousin) while she went to some old lady party at the nursing home.
I was supposed to be there half an hour ago! "Why did I have to eat breakfast TODAY!" I muttered to my self. My breath was rising up in clouds of mist and my feet where getting stuck in the glue-like slush-snow combination. I was going to go INSANE if I didn't get to Grandma's in time!
Finally I reached her drive way. Grandma's house was super old (I think she said late 1800's or something) and the city was going to tear it down if she didn't move in. The faded blue shutters and the matching peeling gray of the siding made this a pretty dull house. The only thing I liked about it was the woods in the back yard.
I opened the huge double doors and walked in. A blast of warm air almost instantly improved my mood as the snow melted off of me. I looked around. The place hadn't changed much in the past few years. The floors where all wooden (natural wood!) and as where the walls. There was a small fireplace in the corner surrounded by 2 high back chairs and a couch.
As I pulled off my boots so I could warm myself near the fire, at tiny ball of pure energy charged for me and toppled me over as it screamed "KIMYA! KIMYA! KIMYA!". I laughed softly as little Sam pulled his long brown hair out of his big blue eyes and looked up at me. "Hi Kimmy!" I laughed again as I stood up and pulled off the rest of my snow gear ( I swear its like your in Antarctica with all of the gear you have to wear in the winter here!).
My Grandma walked over and shook my hand. She wasn't exactly a normal Grandma. She had long, fiery red hair that she gave to my mom and brother, (I suspect it stayed red with the large amounts of die she uses) and could run a mile without breaking a sweat! "See you tomorrow and remember DO NOT under any circumstances, go into the attic". I nodded OK then waved as she left in her old pick-up truck.
I never questioned my Grandma about the attic for two reasons. First, going against her was like trying to fight a rabid grizzly with your hands behind your back and second, because I didn't really care. I mean she may look crazy but I'm pretty sure she just has some old memorabilia up there that she doesn't want ruined.
"Kimmy?" I looked down at Sam again. "I'm bored Kimmy".
We had a lot of fun. Grandma doesn't have many games but that's not a problem. We played treasure hunt in the bed room and explorer in the living room. At around 9 it was time for Sam to go to bed. "I'm not sleepy yet Kimmy" He gave me sad eyes that would make anyone else give in, but not me. I lived with Andy.
I got Sam to get ready for bed and asleep in 10 minuets. When I was SURE he was asleep I took out my math homework. "Three times a number is at least...." THUMP! A sound came from the general area of Sam's room. "Sam! It's past your bedtime! Go to sleep!". I turned back to my homework. "Three times a numb..." THUMP! THUMP! I looked up at where Sam's room was. I knew he wouldn't go to bed till 11 at this rate.
I crept up the creaky oak stairs. I had to be careful not to make to much sound because if Sam heard me he would just pretend to be asleep till I left. The closer I got to his room the louder the noises go. THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! I reached his door and grabbed the handle. The noises where becoming more constant. It sounded like someone was kicking the walls. THUMP! DA-THUMP! THUMP! I pulled open the door and looked in.
I saw.....absolutely nothing! The room was empty. The covers where pulled off the bed and strewn on the floor. His favorite toy, a bear named Mr.Fuzz butt, was torn and scattered around the room. THUMP! DA-THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!
The sound was almost unbearably loud and summing from above me. "He didn't!"Sam knew just as well as I did that going into Grandma's attic was worse than suicide! I sprinted up the next flight of stairs, the noise getting louder and louder as I did.
At the top of the stairs was a huge door made out of what looked like granite! It was covered in chains and looked like something had scratched it! There was a large metal ring that I assumed was the handle. I pulled it open. The sounds where pounding on my brain. I looked at what was behind the door way. Another flight of stairs but these where different
They had deep red stains on them. They where gnarled and lumpy like the tree they where made out of was trying to grow back. I looked back towards safety. Dare I go into the attic or should I just go back to my homework and pretend none of this happened.
THUMP THUMP THUMP! The sound was at the top of the stairs. I remembered Sam. He was up there! I began to sprint up the stairs. Suddenly the door slammed shut and the stairs beneath me vanished. I was falling! The sound echoed through my ears as I fell. Thump da-thump thump....
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah I know the begging of the chapter is kind of dull but its a blizzard out side and the snow is stifling my creativity. Bear with me I'm planing on making this better.....but I don't think it will be very long at this rate.