Sparks Fly

Chapter Fourteen

Ellie knew that Carlos had said that she needed to be calm, for Sophie's sake. And she completely agreed with him, she would be calm – when she was around Sophie. That didn't prevent her from excusing herself from the doctor, sprinting out of the hospital, and making her way to the beach as fast as she could.

When Ellie finally arrived at the beach, she fell to her knees, tears dripping onto the sand. She couldn't even form words to voice her frustration, the unfairness of it all. Sophie was a little girl still, how was this possible? She couldn't be taken away from Ellie; she wouldn't allow it. Not this soon. Sophie had so much left to learn and do, so much potential. Ellie tried to calm herself down, wiping her tears away sloppily. Sophie could make it through this. Ellie tried to always be positive for her, and this was no exception.

Ellie rose to her feet with a huge sigh, allowing her eyes to close and letting the cool ocean breeze move around her. Her ears picked up the sound of tires screeching, and she heard Carlos' anxious voice.

“Hey!” he yelled, two seconds later his arms were around her, holding her tightly. “The doctor told us. And Sophie.” Ellie scoffed. The doctor should've waited until she got back to tell Sophie. “I know, he should've told her with you there. But she was fine. He told her what it means, but they caught it early. She's gonna be fine.” Ellie turned, facing Carlos with a tired smile.

“Really?” He nodded, smoothing her hair back from her forehead. “She'll be okay. She can make it.” Carlos nodded again, allowing a laugh to escape him. “This isn't funny Carlos!”

“I know, I know” he continued to laugh, pressing a gentle kiss to Ellie's lips. “I'm just happy she'll be okay. But you should call your parents and tell them what happened.” Ellie hesitated, biting her lip. She knew he was right. This was important, and they needed to know. But what if they didn't react right? What if they brushed it off, saying it was no big deal, since Sophie would be okay? Ellie couldn't deal with indifference. They should at least come visit her for a few hours. Ellie nodded, letting Carlos know that she'd call. They got into his car and drove back to the hospital, where the three guys were still playing with Sophie. They all seemed to be in good spirits, and Sophie seemed okay.

The doctor gave Ellie permission to take Sophie to a hospital back home, where she could see her everyday and still go to school. They booked plane tickets home that night, first class, with a promise from the doctor that Sophie would be fine up in the air.

“When will I see you again?” Carlos asked, releasing Ellie from a hug. Ellie had no idea. Carlos was extra busy right now with shooting the show, recording, and getting ready for their next tour. And Ellie was busy with school and, of course, Sophie.

“I don't know.” Carlos nodded solemnly, they both knew that this wasn't going to be easy.

“I'll visit. I promise. Before we leave for tour.” It was the best they could do. One visit.

“Can I see you guys on tour?” Sophie asked. The amount of energy she still had amazed Ellie, but she was stronger than she let anyone believe.

“I hope so sweetie. Give me a hug.” Sophie complied, running into Carlos' arms. He held onto her tightly, spinning her around before setting her down as she laughed. “You get better real soon, okay?” Sophie nodded, crossing her heart. “I'll see you soon” Carlos said, looking at Ellie carefully. She wasn't going to admit it to him, but she'd grown far too used to having Carlos around. It was going to be difficult for her to get through this without him there. So she held back her tears and nodded, accepting another hug from him and a quick kiss. “I love you, Ellie” Carlos murmured, soft enough only for her to hear.

“I love you too, Carlos” Ellie returned, allowing herself a small sniffle. He smiled and let go of her, nudging the two towards the plane. Ellie turned back to look at him, offering a pout. He smiled and waved at them, blowing Ellie a kiss. And that was the last they'd see of Carlos Pena for a while.

The plane ride home wasn't bad, with Sophie only coughing some. They made it home, and Ellie let Sophie go into her room to get a few things before they drove to the hospital. The doctor there told us that chemotherapy would take a few months, but they were optimistic about this being able to eradicate the cancer cells completely.

“You're lucky to have caught it so early” the doctor told Ellie, a few days after Sophie had checked in. Ellie just nodded.

Ellie was at the hospital almost every day with her homework, beside Sophie's hospital bed watching Disney movies with her. Sophie was always smiling, except for when she had to take her medication, but even then – she was being so strong. That was what kept Ellie going, the confidence that Sophie would indeed be okay.

About a month after they'd left Hollywood, Sophie and Ellie were watching Aladdin. Sophie asked Ellie the question she'd been avoiding.

“Are mommy and daddy coming to see me?” Ellie sighed, putting aside her homework.

“I haven't told them.” Sophie frowned.

“Why not?”

“Because... I'm afraid they won't have time to come visit you” Ellie said honestly. “You know how busy they are, sweetie.”

“Well, can't we try?” Ellie rolled her eyes, forcing herself to smile.

“Sure.” Ellie dug her phone out of her bag and took a deep breath. Would they even answer? She dialed her mom's number anyway – she was always a bit easier to get a hold of.

The phone rang once – twice - “Ellie, how are you? I'm really busy right now, so make it quick okay?”

“Mom, this is important.” Ellie heard some fumbling in the background and shouting. She must be in the middle of a city.

“Alright well what is it then?” Ellie took a deep breath, steeling herself.

“Sophie has leukemia.” There was a long pause. Ellie guessed that she just didn't know what to say. “It's curable, and they caught it early, and she'll be okay soon, we hope, but you need to come visit her.” Another pause. “Are you still there mom?”

“I'm here.” Her voice was a little shaky, off the normal business woman voice she used so often. “Have you told your father?”

“No. I figured maybe you could.” Ellie walked out into the hall, closing the door to Sophie's room. “This has me pretty shaken up mom, I'm just scared. The doctors said she's going to make it, but I mean... what if...” A short pause.

“No I understand Ellie, it's perfectly alright to be scared. I'll be there as soon as I can, and I'll call your father. Can I talk to Sophie?” Ellie nodded to no one, as her mom couldn't see her, and re-entered the room, handing her phone off to Sophie. They talked for a little while, Sophie was elated to hear her mother's voice.

“She'll be here in two weeks!” Sophie exclaimed after she hung up. Apparently that's what she meant when she said 'as soon as I can'. But it would have to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
I FINALLY GOT INTERNET! So here's an update! And to make up for how much I suck, I have another chapter coming right after this.