Sparks Fly

Chapter Fifteen

Ellie sat by the side of Sophie's hospital bed, brow furrowed. Sophie was asleep, and Ellie was working on a paper for her marketing class. It was tedious, and she wasn't actually getting anything done, but it was homework so she pressed on. Ellie glanced up at Sophie. Though she was writing a paper, her thoughts didn't drift from Sophie for more than a minute or two.

Sophie was sleeping soundly, her chest rising and falling in an even rhythm. She looked peaceful, like a tiny angel. Except for the I.V. in her arm, the heart rate monitor, her paler skin, and the gradual hair loss – she looked fine. Ellie sighed, her head falling to her hands as she felt a fresh waves of tears overcome her.

'This isn't your fault,' a calm voice in her head reassured. 'You're doing everything you can to help her.' Ellie nodded, head in heads.

“Ellie? Are you okay?” Ellie's head snapped up at the new voice, very much not in her head. Carlos stood across the room from her, he just looked so... pained. Ellie rose slowly, placing her laptop down on the floor beside her. She took a breath, gathering her wits, but she just felt herself fall to pieces.

“No” Ellie whimpered, hardly a whisper, but Carlos was at her side in seconds. Strong arms wrapped around her and she sighed, curling into Carlos as though he would make the pain go away. He pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, then pulled up a chair before shedding his jacket and sitting next to her. Ellie offered him a genuine smile and laid her head on Carlos' shoulder, a gentle laugh escaping him.

Ellie had needed this. She needed normalcy.

Carlos shifted so they were both more comfortable, and Ellie felt his muscles flex against her as he did so.

“Whoa” Ellie said, turning her head with a light smile, glancing at Carlos' arms, bare thanks to a tank top.

“What?” Carlos asked, confused. Ellie raised an eyebrow, running her fingertips down his arm.

“Someone's been working out” Ellie commented. Carlos blushed, flexing his arm as if to test her claim.

“Yeah, uh, we've had to get in better shape for our headlining tour, I dunno. It's a little weird.” Ellie giggled.

“Are you actually embarrassed about having muscles?” Carlos blushed darker, reaching for his jacket. “Oh no no” Ellie protested, tossing his jacket across the room.

“But I'm cold” Carlos lied, giving Ellie a little pout.

“So hold me then. I'll warm you up.” Carlos laughed, pulling Ellie into his lap and giving her a gentle squeeze. It was so nice to have him there. More than anything else, she just wanted a distraction. From school, and of course how sick Sophie was. She leaned into his chest, pressing gentle kisses to the underside of his chin, moving along his jawline up to his ear. “I'm going to miss you while you're on tour” Ellie murmured, nipping his earlobe gently. She felt his lips curve into a smile against her cheek.

“I'll miss you too baby” Carlos murmured back, the raspy quality of his voice sending a wave of need through Ellie. BTR left for tour tomorrow, so this was the only day they could spend together until that was over.

Then there was a cough from the other end of the room, and Carlos and Ellie jumped away from each other. There was a nurse standing there, with a tray of food for Sophie.

“Oh hey, I'm so sorry” Ellie apologized, rushing to collect the tray with a weak smile.

“We all have our ways of dealing with grief” the nurse replied, a smirk on her face. She moved around Ellie and the tray to look at Carlos, offering a dainty wave. Ellie raised an eyebrow from behind the nurse, not quite believing what she was seeing. “Hey, you're in Big Time Rush, aren't you?” The nurse asked Carlos, flipping her long curly hair over her shoulder . Ellie woke Sophie gently, setting down the tray for her.

“Yeah.” Carlos replied shortly.

“Yeah, you're Carlos!” she exclaimed, hustling over to him and sitting down where Ellie had been. “I love your music" she said, placing a delicate hand on his shoulder. Carlos looked surprised, but he recovered smoothly.

“Thanks, glad to hear it” he said, moving her hand away. Ellie gave Sophie her pudding, her features like stone. Sophie had been silent since Ellie woke her up, watching the scene with amusement.

“You know, if you're ever free, I know some great places in the area I could show you” the nurse said, pushing herself towards Carlos.

“Yeah, well I live in the area, so” Carlos said awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck. "Not necessary."

“Oh yeah?” the nurse replied, a catlike grin on her face. “Well, maybe sometime, me and you could”

“Hey!” Sophie cut the nurse off, her arms folded across her chest. The nurse jumped, not having realized that Sophie was awake. “Carlos is Ellie's boyfriend!” Carlos laughed, the nurse looked miffed.

“Sorry nurse, unless you fuck me like she does”

“CARLOS!” Ellie yelled, throwing Sophie's now empty tray at him.

“I mean, not interested. But I can autograph your pink slip when you get fired for conflict of interest!” The nurse gasped, then scurried out of the room.

“You wouldn't really get her fired, would you?” Ellie asked, beet red from Carlos' comment.

“No, of course not. But it got her to leave!” Ellie sighed, turning her attention back to Sophie.

“How are you feeling, sweetie?” Ellie asked, brushing Sophie's hair back.

“What's fuck mean?” Sophie asked innocently. Ellie shot a death glare at Carlos, who fell out of his chair laughing.

“I'll tell you never.” Sophie huffed.

“Fine. Hi Carlos!” Sophie exclaimed, reaching out to him for a hug.

“Hey, little girl” Carlos replied, hugging her tightly.

“Wow, you're strong!” Sophie exclaimed, giggling at him. “Can I borrow some strong?” Carlos heaved a big sigh, looking at Sophie sadly.

“I wish you could, sweetheart. You'll be better soon though, I promise.” Sophie nodded, and Ellie turned on Carlos, backing him up into a corner.

“You and I have not even had sex yet! And if you make another comment like that in front of Sophie then I swear to you - we never will!” Carlos chuckled, pressing a rough kiss to Ellie's lips.

“I promise I won't do it again. Even though you know we can't resist much longer.” Ellie huffed, returning Carlos' kiss with an even roughness, pulling away from him when his hands ghosted her hips.

“You're damn right.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The next chapter, as promised! I can't say that the next chapter will come as quickly, as I'll have to wait until I get internet again and it hasn't been written yet. I've had this chapter written for months, I love it. :3 PLEASE COMMENT!!