Sparks Fly

Chapter Two

Two hours were gone before Ellie could blink. She leaned up against the wall behind her, finishing up her homework. Carlos sat next to her, peppering her with questions.

“Why are you here if you don't skate?”

“My little sister does.” She lifted her head for a second. “Sophie, she's the one in the green hoodie.” Carlos' head bobbed around for a second before he spotted her.

“You guys look just alike.”

“It's because of the hair.” Carlos frowned and Ellie returned to her last problem.

“So... do you like any other sports?”

“Baseball and soccer. As far as soccer goes though I'd rather watch the international teams.”

“What's your favorite baseball team?”

“The White Sox.”

“Me too!”

“Really?”

“Yeah! I even have...” He dug around in the duffel bag he'd dumped next to him, pulling out a schedule with all the games on it. “A schedule.” He waved it in her face and she laughed, shoving his hand away. “Hey, we could go to a game sometime.”

“We'll see. I don't have a ton of free time, and I did just meet you.”

“No time for one game?” He pouted.

“No time for anything.” Carlos frowned, hurt by her blunt refusal. “I'm sorry, I'm just super busy with school right now. And I have Sophie.” He nodded, scratching the back of his neck. “And again - just met you. But I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, I promise. Aren't you in school too? you can't be much younger than me.”

“How old are you?”

“21, as of August.”

“Me too!” Carlos yelled, life brought right back into his voice. Ellie giggled and glanced up at him, setting her pencil down. “But uh, no, I'm not exactly in school right now. I have a job.”

“Oh yeah? What do you do?”

“I sing, sometimes.”

“Hardcore rock and roll I'm guessing.” He laughed, going into his hockey duffel again.

“Not exactly.”

“Hi!” They both looked up to see Sophie standing in front of them, her eyes wide and glued to Carlos.

“Hey, you must be Sophie” Carlos said, smiling down at her. Sophie nodded. “I'm Carlos.” He offered his hand for her to shake and she took it, shaking his hand cautiously.

“I want pizza” Sophie announced, turning to face Ellie now.

“Well, we have some at home in the freezer. Are you ready to go?” she nodded again, so Ellie shoved all her homework into her bag then slung it over her shoulder.

“Wait” Carlos blurted, holding a hand out to stop them. “Can I buy you guys pizza?” Ellie sighed and Sophie tugged on her hand, she leaned down so her little sister could whisper in her ear.

“Say yes Ellie pleeeease, I don't wanna eat frozen pizza.”

“I don't know.” Ellier bit her lip, her backpack feeling heavier by the second. She still had a lot of homework to do, and Sophie had to be ready for bed in about an hour. But Carlos and Sophie were both pouting at her. “I'm sorry Carlos, but we should go home, it's almost her bedtime.”

“Fine” he said shortly, handing Ellie's phone over to her. “Don't forget this again, it fell out of your back pocket.”

“Thank you” Ellie offered, shoving her phone in the pocket of her jacket. “I am sorry... thanks for offering though. Maybe some other time, yeah?”

“Sure. I have band practice soon anyways.” His smile returned, and he squeezed her hand gently. “I'll see you guys later.” And then, he was gone.

As soon as Ellie started the car, Sophie was exploding with questions.

“Ellie who was he?” she wondered, her eyes huge again.

“Carlos. He told you what his name was.”

“But how do you KNOW him?” Ellie blushed, turning out of the parking lot and pointing them towards home.

“I uh, I don't, Sophie. He sort of introduced himself to me.”

“Do you like him?”

“He seemed nice, yeah, Sophie.”

“NO BUT DO YOU LIKE HIM?” She was squealing now, her eyes seconds from popping out of her little head.

“Calm down Sophie, I don't know. I just met him. Now go inside and put your pajamas on.” Sophie huffed and stomped inside, then all the way up the stairs and into her room. Ellie groaned and collapsed on the couch, pulling her phone from her pocket as it buzzed.

'Got your number! Hope you don't mind. ps: hi.' Ellie giggled to myself, allowing a smile to touch her lips. This should prove interesting.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you, Miranda and Paige, for supporting my writing. God knows hardly anyone else will.

If you read then please comment as well! Any feedback is appreciated :)