Status: Hoping that a few people read this and that this story gets published someday.

Roses and Emeralds

Roses and Emeralds (Chapter 6)

The next morning I awoke with a feeling of dread in me. Today was the day I would meet Nicolas and sign the divorce papers. Joy I thought to myself. I opened my sorrowful eyes. I quickly closed them again creating a single, sorrowful lonely tear. I couldn't face my husband. He had hurt me. He had destroyed me. He had brought me down and tore my heart open leaving it empty inside. He had killed me. I didn't want to face him today, but I knew it would have to do it sometime sooner or later. Now or never.
Again, for the last time, I opened my tear-wridden eyes and gazed at the ceiling. He had done this to himself. He deserves this. He knew what he was doing and did it anyway...did he really think I was that stupid? Or is it just the opposite? Is he that stupid? God, it doesn't matter anymore. What's done is done. It's the past. Get over it god-damnit.
I slowly tossed my legs over the side of the couch and rubbed away the fatigue written on my face. I was so tired. But I shouldn't be. I went to bed at 8:30 and slept through the night. Ah, hell with it. I don't care if I'm tired, and I don't care if I ever see my husband again.
I stood up from the couch and trudged to the bathroom. Slowly, I looked in the mirror. Sheesh, I looked horrible. My blonde hair was everywhere standing on end and my makeup was smeared across my face making me appear like the Joker. How did....? Oh. I gazed down at my hand and realized that it was across my face when I was slumbering. I grinned a bit.
I snatched a hand towel from the cabinet below the sink and wiped it on my face. Better. Then I snatched my hairbrush and attempted to groom my hair. Apparently my hair didn't like me today. Sighing, I turned on the faucet, made my hairbrush a bit wet, and swiped it through my hair. Great. Now only the makeup. I rummaged around the counter and found my bag of makeup titled with the name Rosy. I quickly rushed through the makeup procedure. Okay, now I have 5 minutes to spare before I head over to the office for the papers.
When I arrived to the place, I would have to only sign 6 papers and be done with it. Nothing hard. Just a quick hello, and goodbye. Easy and nothing to it.
But there was only one thing. Susan wasn't here. I growled under my breath. Dear god, the only time I need her for a ride is the only time she's not here. I looked away from the mirror and went into the living room with the couch. Who would I get a ride from? I didn't have many friends considering I spend most of my time locked up in a house all by myself. Damnit! Where were some friends when you needed them?!
Well...if I was really desperate to get there then I could call Nic....NO. I would NOT go with him in a car with just two of us. Impossible. Ridiculous. Insane. That's out of the question.
You know, I didn't really have to go to the office...I could just stay here, watch some tv, eat some more popcorn, while wondering why the hell I didn't get it over in the first god-damn place. Sighing, I knew I had to face the facts. I was going to have to call him and tell him that he had to pick me up. It was going to be hard. Talking to him face to face for the first time in months is going to be difficult for both of us. But we both had to get it over with sooner or later.
Grumbling again, I searched for my cellphone. It was near the tv where I last left it the night before. I couldn't remember Nic's phone number. Good thing, too. I looked for his number in my 'contacts' list and found the picture of me and Nic smiling and holding hands. Dear god, this was going to be horrible. I glanced at his number and dialed it.
If it rings 3 times then I'm hanging up. I heard the first ring. Please don't pick up, please don't pick up. I don't want to look at you, and I don't want to talk to you. The second ring was audible. Right when I was about to hang up for the third ring I heard a familiar voice.
"Hello? Hel-Rose is that you?"
Oh dear god, why didn't he just leave the phone on vibrate?!
"Uh....yeah. Hi there."
There was a long silence.
"So...um....what do you need?"
I felt stupid for not saying anything.
"Well...you know today's the day we sign up for those divorce papers, right?"
"Yeah, I was just about to leave the house but you stopped me."
He added a little laughter to make it seem more realistic. I didn't buy it.
"I was wondering....since Susan isn't here-"
"Oh yeah, she's at work, huh?"
God, I hated it when he interuppted me. Probably why this relationship ended.
"Uh...yeah. So if Susan's not here then I don't have a ride....there."
I sounded like a lunatic.
"Yeah?"
" I was thinking....that maybe you could pick me up?"
Again, there was a moment of silence. This time it was longer.
"Nicolas, you there?"
"What? Oh yes, of course I'm still here."
I noticed his voice was a bit raspy.
"So...can you pick me up?"
"Of course. I'd love to."
Lies. All lies.
"I'll be there in 10 minutes."
"Thank-"
He already hung up.
"You."
Frowning, I closed the phone and jammed it into my jeans. Why did I call him?! That was so stupid! In a mocking voice I thought 'Yes, of course I'll pick you up. My pleasure. La de da de da!' God, he was so irratating.
The rational part of my mind thought that he was being a well man trying to be kind as possible without hurting my feelings. Again.
I was all ready to go to the office and I had to wait 10 whole freaking minutes for my ride. I lazily turned on the tv. Oh, Whose Line. I remembered the night when Susan showed me this. It was so awesome. The hilarity made the whole night better with each minute. Maybe this will make the day better, too.
Before I knew it I was laughing so hard my belly felt like it was going to explode. The improv that the guys do is so amazing it's like it's scripted. Maybe it is. But I doubt it.
Ten minutes later, the episode was over and I heard the doorbell. Well, the show has certainly made me in a better mood. Hopefully Nic will be the same. I hopped up from the couch, hastily turned off the tv, and trotted over to the doorway. Taking one last confident breath, I opened the door that lead me to my fate.
♠ ♠ ♠
Created this in about an hour. Not too proud of it but it'll have to do :P