Status: Short Story

I'll Be Home for Christmas

I'll be home for Christmas

I sat in our apartment next to the big open window with a cup of hot chocolate in hand.

"Winter storm Kane is a doozie out there!" the radio announcer said with enthusiasim. I however was not very happy. It's Christmas eve and for some families this was just a dream come true. You know the big snow storm before Christmas type thing, but it wasn't mine. My fiance, star hockey player of the Chicago Blackhawks Patrick Kane, has been in San Jose for the past 2 days for an away game. Due to this storm, it looks like he wont make it home in time.

"Isn't it ironic Brady, daddy isn't home because of a storm named after him." I spoke to the soft gray kitten curled up next to me. It was 3 in the afternoon on Christmas eve and I was alone with my kitten. Patrick was supposed to be home by now. I decided to call my best friend Kilee, who in fact had no family in Chicago either.

"Hello?" Kilee answered.

"Hey Keel, what are you up to?" I set my empty cup of hot chocolate in the sink.

"Sitting at home watching Christmas movies on T.V. what about you dear? Missing your man?" Kilee joked, I could hear her giggle.

"Yes, I actually am Keels. He won't be here with me for our first actuall Christmas living together, and he even promised he'll be with me." I sighed.

"Would you like to come over and watch movies with me Arabeth?" I could hear her smile.
"I'll be over in a bit." I answered.

"See you soon, love." She said then hung up the phone. I dressed myself in a big knit sweater and leggings. The short 10 minute trip to her apartment building doubled in time due to the storm.

"It's crazy gorgeous out there Kilee, holy crap." I smiled as I stepped into her apartment. "I just wish Patrick was here..."

"Aww Ara...you still have me though darling. I'm just as alone as you are this Christmas." This is why Kilee was my best friend. She knew exactly what to say and just when to say it.

"Thank you Kilee." I smiled and sat back on her soft couch.

"Anytime! Have you tried calling Patrick?" We decided on the movie Elf.

"Yeah, he said his phone was about to die. He'll call me from Jon's phone if anything happens." His voice echoed through my head.

"Oh, I see." She nodded. A little after the movie started I started getting lost in my own thoughts. I thought back to the best moment of my life so far.

-Flashback-

"Patrick, would you look at this dress! It's gorgeous!" I exclaimed as he practiced shooting pucks into the goal. I was studying fashion and design in hopes to one day be a wedding dress designer.

"Baby, come here." He skated to the edge of the board where I was sitting.

"Yeah?" I hopped off and waddled carfully acrossed the ice to his waiting arms. He led me to the middle of the ice.

"Stand right here okay?" His voice was a little shakey, he actually seemed very nervous.
"Okay...what's going on Pat?" I tiled my head in confusion.

"Just wait there." He skated to the benches and tossed his gloves then picked something up. He held it behind his back as he skated back to me.

"What is it Patrick?" I continued to look at him confused.

"Arabeth Britton, we have been together for 2 years and they have been the best 2 years of my life. I can't even remember what my life was like before I met you. You make my days brighter and make me smile when I can't. Something about you is just....enchanting. I don't ever want to loose you Arabeth, I love you." He took my hands in his as he spoke.

"I love you too Patrick...." My heart beat as fast as it has ever had before. I could've sworn I was going to have a heart attack.

"Arabeth Britton...will you be willing to design your own wedding dress.....will you marry me?" A smile escaped from his lips as he got down on one knee.

"Patrick Timothy Kane....Yes! Of course!!!" I wrapped my arm around his neck as the rest of his team cheered from the bench. Patrick's best friend and the team's captain skated onto the ice with a bottle of champaigne.

"Congrats you two. I can't wait to be the god father of your children." He joked.

"Oh shut up Jonathan!" I said through my tears of joy.


"Ara? Wake up doll. It's Patrick on the phone for you." She held out my cell phone.

"Hello?" I said sleepily. I must have fallen asleep during the movie.

"Arabeth, baby?" Patrick's voice made butterflies errupt in my stomach.

"Yeah Pat?" I smiled.

"Could you go home, I sent a little present for you since I can't be there with you." Patrick said with dissapointment in his voice.

"Right now?" I asked.

"Yes, right now."

"Okay. I'll leave Kilee's right now." I got up from the couch and grabbed my coat.

"Alright babe. I love you, Arabeth. So much."

"I love you too Patrick. By the way, you would be gone during the snow storm named Kane." I laughed.

"I'm sorry baby, but I will see you soon enough." Patrick laughed too. Once I hung up. I gave Kilee a hug goodbye and made the journey back home. When I entered the apartment building I caught sight of something taped to our mailbox.

"This winter storm may keep a lot of things from happening, but it won't keep me from being with you." I read aloud. What did that mean...was he here? Did he make it home?! I ran to the elevator and waited anxiously as it slowly took me up 7 floors. I ran to the apartment and struggled to open the door. When I finally got it open, I made my way down the hallway which was scattered with red rose petals. When I reached the living room I saw him. My curly blonde haired fiance standing there in a suit with a smile plastered onto his face. I ran to him and hugged him dearly.

"I promised I would be home for Christmas, darling." He whispered as he inched closer to my lips. I could feel his hot breath on my cold face.

"I love you Patrick Timothy." I said as I was at a loss for any other words.

"Merry Christmas darling." Patrick placed a small gentle kiss on my lips.

"This is the best gift anyone could ever give me." I closed my eyes and inhaled his scent as I embraced him. This will, by far, be the best Christmas ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a cute short little Christmas story I wrote for my best friend Isabella :)

Happy Holidays everyone.