I Need Him, My Gerard

Gerard, you need me

The phone rang. I was a bit nervous about answering Gerard’s phone, but I did anyway, in case it was important.

“Hello?”

“Who is this?”

“Erm, I’m Frank, did you want to talk to Gerard.”

“I thought I told YOU to stay away from my sons.”

“Mr. Way. Well Gerard was in trouble so I came over to help him.”

“I’m on my way home right now, and I’m going to kill you if you are anywhere near my house or my family.”
There was a harsh click as he hung up. I looked over at Gerard. He was so insecure right now; he needed me to be here when he woke up. So I couldn’t go and leave him.
I phoned my mom.
“Hello?”

“Hi mom, it’s Frank.”

“Hi sweetie. When are you coming home?”

“Now, actually. Do you mind if my friend stays over, he’s in a bad way and he hasn’t got anywhere to go.”

“Of course he can. I’ll see you in a little while. I didn’t know how many friends you had. Is it Mikey?”

“No. It’s Gerard.”
I hung up before she could tell me he couldn’t stay. I knew his supposed ‘reputation’ but I see the soft Gerard. If they saw that, they’d see him as I do; a lonely angel who saved me. I threw some of Gerard’s clothes into a bag and went to his sleeping form.

“Gerard, wake up baby.”
He didn’t move, so I shook him and stroked his hair back from his face. “Gerard?”

“Frankie,” he cried, clinging onto me.

“I’m here; you need to wake up Gee.” He blinked, and tried to get up.

“You’re very weak, so I’m going to help you up. hold onto me.” I dragged him up and slung his bag over my shoulder. I dragged him up the stairs and out the door. It was important we left as fast as possible, even though he was weak. I wasn’t sure when his dad would be home, or if he was following us right now. It seemed like hours later I finally lugged him up to my house and slung the door open. I took him straight upstairs and allowed him to collapse on my bed. I made him comfortable, and switched out the light, going downstairs to talk to my mom.

“Hi mum, I’m sorry about Gee.”

“Why? Your friend needed help.”

“I’m still sorry. He almost died tonight, and I have to be more worried about him now than I ever worried about anyone.”

“I’m proud of you Frankie.”

“Thanks mom, but I better be there when he wakes up, I don’t want him to have another panic attack. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight sweetie.”

“Oh and mom, lock the door and don’t answer it without checking okay?”

“Frankie, what happened?”

“Gerard has to stay here because his dad’s trying to kill me and beat him severely. He doesn’t know where we live, but it’s possible he will beat our address out of Mikey, he’s strong but has his point.”

“Oh,” she said quietly. “Frankie, when did you get into bad things?”

“I don’t know what you mean. Goodnight Mom, I love you.”

“Love you too; I’ll lock the door now.”

She got up and went to the door, locking it tight. I went up the stairs and stripped down to my boxers, climbing into bed, wrapping my arms around Gerard. He mumbled something in his sleep, and moved closer to me, sighing before going back to his deep trance.
“Goodnight Gee,” I whispered, kissing the back of his head and switching off the light.

I woke up the next morning, to find my bed cold and empty. I thought hard, remembering the previous night. Then I sat bolt upright.

“Gerard?” I shouted.

Then I noticed the note at the end of the bed. “Frank” it had on the front, in Gerard’s bold loopy handwriting.
I scrambled over to it and opened it, my hands shaking uncontrollably. Frank, I realise looking at you now that I am a burden. I’m sorry for what I’ve done to you, and I love you very much, but I need don’t you, and you don’t need me. You have to move on, and leave me behind. It’s better that way. Please know, my heart is breaking as I write this. I love you, My Frankie. xxx

I didn’t realise until I’d finished reading that I was crying hard. I wiped my eyes, wincing as eyeliner from the previous day smeared in my eyes, burning them. I have to go to him, now. I need to convince him he’s got it wrong, I need him and he needs me, that’s the way it goes. He can’t feel that what happened last night was his fault, or that it caused me any hassle. I worry about him, but he’s my boyfriend, I’m supposed to. I love him. I throw on some clothes and do my hair. I run out the house and round to Gerard’s. I’m not even worried about his dad, I wouldn’t care if I goy beaten by him, at least it would show Gerard that I’m willing to do anything for him and to be with him. Gerard answered.

“Oh, Frank.”

“Gerard.”

I had a thought. What if I pretend to have not read the note, that we are still together. Maybe he had been regretting it and was too afraid to say anything. Well now he could have a second chance, a chance to take it back and let things be how they were meant to be.

“Can’t I come in?” I asked.

“Oh, I didn’t think you’d want to.”

“Of course I do,” I said, kissing him on the lips, making him stumble back in shock.

“Frank, about the letter…”

“What letter?”

“You didn’t get it? I left it on the bed.”

“No I didn’t. What did it say baby. Oh and by the way, I just want to say, I really want to
tell you, I loved you so much last night, you showed me a side of you I hadn’t seen before. Thank you Gee.”

“Oh.” He looked puzzled, and bit his lip in the way he does when he’s thinking.

“So what was in that letter?”

“Oh, nothing important. Do you want to come in?”
“Best not after the discussion I had with your dad and then stealing his son I don’t think it would be wise if I want to keep all my teeth.”

“Oh, Ok, I’ll see you later then.”

“OK, bye,” I said kissing him hard on the lips, and walking down the path. I glanced back, he was grinning to himself, which made me laugh. I had saved our relationship again.
♠ ♠ ♠
this chapter was a bit slow]comments- what do you think