I Need Him, My Gerard

New connection

I have been getting closer to Gerard over the past few days. We have a lot in common, and I’ve been over to the Way household almost every day after school. I feel kind of awkward in the house, everywhere except in Gerard’s room. I fluffed up my hair, not bothering to brush it. I was supposed to be meeting Mikey to walk to school and I was already late, but he knew how I was. I ran out the door and down to the corner.
I know Mikey doesn’t mind that I want to include Gerard in our activities, he kind of looks up to him. I never really understood that, my family drives me crazy for the most part. But then I met Gerard, and suddenly I can understand how you can look up to someone and adore them entirely. That’s how I feel about Gerard. Not in a brotherly way, more like, well I don’t know.

“Let’s go Mikey.”

“I’ve been waiting here for ten minutes, Gerard went on without us.” he looked impatient.

“You should have told me he was coming; I would have hurried, erm, a bit more.”

“Oh well, we better get going, I can’t get another late mark, I want to go out after school.”

“Aren’t we going to your house? I have some comic books to give back to Gerard”

“I’m surprised he let you borrow them, he’s very protective over those. Anyway, I
Thought we could go shopping after school?”

“Yeah, ok, I’ll give Gerard his comics at school.”

“OK.”

“So, are we meeting up for lunch?”

“Erm, ok I guess, by the steps?”

“Cool. What’s Gerard doing for lunch?”

“What he does every lunch time, sitting by himself, glaring at everyone who walks by.”

“Could we ask him to eat with us? If that’s ok with you mikey.”

“Yeah sure, I’ll ask him later. See you at lunch Frankie,”

“See you, Mikey.”
I heard the school bell clang and headed off to Math’s.
I think I understand what my mum means when she wonders why I fail, because I am quite smart. I found myself doodling on my notebook and thinking about shopping after school.

“What is it Frank?”

“Gerard?”

A few sniggers were stifled around the room.

“Yes, the square route of seventeen is Gerard. See me after please.”

At the end of class I switched my brain on long enough to hear the insults thrown at me and apologize to the teacher for my ignorance, even though I wasn’t in the least bit sorry.
Then it was finally time to go to lunch, and I raced out the room. I stood a little way off the steps, and saw Mikey and Gerard sitting in the shade at the bottom.

“Hey guys” I called, raising my hand to the sky. I went and slumped down next to Gerard. I looked at him. He looked very different, out of place in uniform and the sunlight. I opened my bag, and took out the comic books carefully.
“Thanks for letting me borrow them; they’re the best I’ve read.”

“Don’t worry Frankie, it was no problem.” He smiled at me.
I grinned back, and looked over at Mikey. I could tell by the look on his face he was still puzzling over the fact that Gerard had called my Frankie, not Frank. He had only just started calling me Frankie, and only my mother before that. But I didn’t care, I liked that he called me Frankie. It made me proud. I don’t know why, but his opinion mattered to me.
“What have you got for lunch?” I asked, looking at the crumpled paper bag beside him.

“Erm, I did have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but then some kids trampled it on the way to school, so now I’ve got nothing.”

“You should always walk in a group or keep your head really low. Maybe if you hadn’t
Walked off this morning you would still have your sandwiches.”

“Oh, Mikey told you about that.” He grinned. “Sorry, but I didn’t want to be late, you
Know.”

“Yeah, I get it; I wouldn’t want to walk with me either. I have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches too, want half?”

“Really, well yeah. Thanks Frankie, I was all set to go hungry.”

“It wouldn’t hurt you.” laughed Mikey, prodding him in the stomach.

“Oh thank you.” said Gerard, pouting and looking sad. I knew Gerard was faking it, just pretending, but his sad face made me upset, and worried for him.

“Gerard, you’re not fat, just well rounded, and nice.”
I thought I was being nice and supportive. The bell went, and I jumped up waving to Mikey and Gerard behind me.

“Hey Frankie, wait up.” Gerard’s voice. I stopped and waited for him to catch up.

“What are you doing after school?” he asked me.

“Erm, me and Mikey were going to go shopping, why?”

“Oh, I was wondering if you’d mind me tagging along.”

“No, I’d love you to come, if it’s ok with Mikey, I have chemistry with him, and I’ll check its ok, but I’ll meet you by the steps after school ok?”

“Yeah, thanks Frankie.”
He gave me a quick hug, and bounded off into the building. I was confused, but I grinned from ear to ear. I was five minutes late for chemistry, but I didn’t care. I walked in late, and sat down next to Mikey. He gave me one of his nice little looks, where he smiles at you, but shakes his head at the same time to show you he is disappointed, but only in a joke way.

“Where have you been, you’re late.”

“Oh, I had to talk to Gerard, is it ok if he comes shopping with us, he asked.”

“Sure. Look, I have to tell you something, I’m going away this summer, my mum suggested a camp, and I agreed so I’m going but Gerard will still be here, and you’ll be ok and…”

“Look, don’t worry, we’ll be fine, I hope you have fun.”

“You’re not mad at me?”

“Mad as hell, but I understand.”