Status: Twoshot.

Unforgiving

Part One

I didn’t realize it might kill him. As far as I knew, I was saving us from something that would surely kill us. Something that would eventually kill us. So what had I done? Where had I gone wrong? I didn’t know, hadn’t known. And now my brother was dying- and I had no way to save him. I should have waited . . . waited until he was stronger- but how was I to know what they had done to him? He was dying . . .

My brother and I had no recollection of any life past the white walls of the lab. We opened our eyes and we were there- fifteen and prisoners. Maybe we had been created, though we were more human than any robot could ever be. We were rebellious, full of angst and anger in our surroundings, or at least I was. Or maybe it was our abilities that made us freaks, and we were removed from the normal world and into hell. 



They followed us everywhere- our captors in white lab coats. We were never alone together, not even when they let us rest for the night. Our rooms were two apart and across the hall, and the doctors always led us there, as they preferred to be addressed. They knew our abilities could break us out, and they didn’t want us plotting together. 




Our abilities were the only reason they kept us here, testing us brutally. The only times James and I were close enough to talk was at mealtimes. But we had one ability they didn’t know about. James and I could talk in each other’s minds- twin telepathy. We always chatted at meals, though they were reserved and limited to the pain and our emotions. James was always better tempered than I was, able to make jokes and talk lightly, as if we weren’t sitting on hard benches eating crappy food in the whitewashed cafeteria of the lab. I was always in a rage- I hated it here, down to the very depths of my soul. One thing we never spoke directly about was our abilities. We were ‘enhanced and gifted’ as the doctors called it. Aside from our twin telepathy, James was able to make, manipulate, and extinguish fire, while I was gifted with telekinesis, the ability to move things with my mind. It was pretty neat at times, but I would have traded it all to get out of there. 



Our schedule was always the same. They woke us up every morning at 6:30, I knew by the solitary clock by the door to James’ room. They led us down to the cafeteria, where we sat at the only table and ate their horrible food as they watched us from a glass panel in the wall. When we were both done, they took us to our training rooms, which were dark and had high ceilings. The things they used to test us usually came flying out of the walls at us and they gave us directions through loudspeakers, their booming voices echoed around. Then they led us to the dreary cafeteria for lunch. After that was another training session, and then dinner at nearly eight o’clock, after which we were led back to our rooms. We usually fell onto our beds immediately- the hours of training sessions were brutal and exhausting. They never changed this schedule- except for the day my plans were finished.