The Dark Before Dawn

eight.

Vera's week dragged on slowly, and it was only halfway through. Other than going to work, she hadn't left the house. Another late night of working was upon her, and she had already started getting ready.

Vera wasn't in the mood for getting totally dressed up, and so she simply tugged on a pair of skinny jeans and a corset. She put on a pair of boots, put her skull necklace on, and put some bangles on her wrist. Vera glanced at the clock and let out a small groan; it was still too early to leave for the bar. She had hoped getting ready to would fill the time she had in between, but her plan was unsuccessful.

Vera sighed and walked into the living room. She glanced from her phone to the cd player they had set up, and finally walked over to the cd player. She had been listening to one of her favorite bands, Avenged Sevenfold, earlier, and now she was in the mood to listen to them again.

Once Vera pressed the play button, and the sound of guitars and such floated through her apartment, she sat down on the couch.

With music flooding her ears, the remaining time she spent at home seemed to dwindle away. When the time came to leave, she quickly got up and turned the player off and set out, making sure to lock the door behind her.

As soon as Vera reached the highway, her phone began ringing, so she quickly answered it. "Hello?"

"Hey Vera, what's up?"

Vera smiled, immediately recognizing her friend's voice. "Not much, Farls, I'm on my way to work. How about you?" She answered.

"God, everything has been so hectic since I've been here. There's so much stuff that we need to do, and all I want to do is mourn my cousin and go home." Farley replied.

"I'm sorry I couldn't go, Farley, I really am. I feel like shit for not being there," Vera said, gently biting her lip.

"It's not your fault, you couldn't get off work. I understand, but I do wish you were here," Farley said, causing Vera to bite down on her lip harder.

"I wish I were there, too. I could fucking kill Parker for not giving me this week off," she said bitterly. Vera was still far from over her anger towards her boss; she never asked for days off other then when she was sick, and when she really needed to go, he didn't let her.

"I know you could, Vee," Farley said with a slight chuckle. "Anyways, I'll let you go since you're driving. What time are you getting off?"

"Probably like, two or somewhere around there. I don't think you'd want me to call you when I get out," she said with a smile.

"I see. Well, have a good night at work."

"Thanks, you just have a good night," Vera replied. "I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Okay, bye Vera."

Vera said her final goodbye and hung up her phone. When she got to the bar and clocked in, she smiled when she saw who she was working with: Fred.

"Hey Nightmare," she said as she walked up to him. When she had started working there and met Fred, she immediately thought of Freddie Krueger, and so she gave him the nickname Nightmare, like Nightmare on Elm Street. In return, he gave her the name Friday, like Friday the Thirteenth.

"Friday, what's up?" He asked.

"Not much, just got to work," she answered with a laugh. "You?"

"Samesies!" He said with a gay lisp. "How's your friend?"

"She's okay; still in California. I just talked to her on my way here."

He nodded. "It's been pretty dead tonight, so I'm not expecting too much. I've been chillin' in the back, but Parker said a few people were coming in, so now I'm chillin' in the front." He explained.

Vera chuckled and nodded.

The night was slow, as Fred has promised, and by the time Vera was let off, she felt like she was going to pass out behind the wheel of her car. Once she got home, she didn't even bother making it to her room; she simply kicked off her shoes and passed out on the couch, letting the world of sleep overcome her body.
♠ ♠ ♠
outfit

sorry it sucks and took forever to get outttt. D}: